PDA

View Full Version : Jodo Kyohan - Nakajima Sensei

SMJodo
2nd June 2005, 18:29
Nakajima Sensei was the co-author of the book entitled "Jodo Kyohan", which to my knowledge, was published in 1976 and is regraded by some as the most comprehensive book on Jodo to this day. I found that Nakajima Sensei also passed away sometime in 1976. Does anyone know if he lived to see his work published?

MaikeruRogers
6th June 2005, 15:09
Hello.

I took your question to my teacher, Mr. Tsunemori Kaminoda, who was also involved in making "Jodo Kyohan." I asked him on Saturday, if Nakajima s. ever actually saw the finished book since he died the same year it was published, (per your info, I had no idea about the closeness of the date of the publishing of "Jodo Kyohan" and his death). He immediately replied that Nakajima s. did see the book. Mr. Kaminoda sent 200 copies of the book to him as soon as it was published. He said Nakajima s. died 20 days after he received the books. Nakajima s. (and/or his Jodo organization in Osaka) apparently sold about 80 copies of the book, because 120 copies were returned to Kaminoda s. after Nakajima s.'s death.

Of course, this "evidence" is anecdotal and suppositional, but it certainly confirms that "Jodo Kyohan" was finished before he died and that copies were in his possession (to be sold) before he died. I don't know what Nakajima sensei's physical condition was at that time, just 20 days before he died, but...Kaminoda s. answered decisively that he did see the book before he died.

As an aside, Kaminoda s. visits Nakajima sensei's grave on the day he leaves the Kyoto Taikai in early May (he may visit it at some other time, but I know about the visits in May from him telling me that that was where he was going the day he was leaving the Taikai.)

As another aside, September's Kendo Nippon magazine has a picture of Kaminoda s. doing Kusarigama at this year's ZNKR Kyoto Budo Taikai. (Last year, Kendo Nippon put a full page picture of him doing Iai at 2004's Kyoto Taikai.)

And as a final aside, the "Jodo Kyohan" you mentioned has been reprinted twice recently and is currently still available from Kaminoda sensei (I think, but could be sold out, maybe). It is a very good reprint and all the pictures are very clear and discernable (text is Japanese).

Okay, this is really the last aside…AND Kaminoda sensei has recently published 2 other books: one on Ikkaku Ryu Jutte Jiutsu and Ittatsu Ryu Hojo Jiutsu, and the other on Isshin Ryu Kusarigama Jiutsu. Both are really cool and have extensive photographs (with text in Japanese).

So, thanks for the good question on Nakajima s. and I hope this was the info you were looking for.

Michael Rogers

SMJodo
7th June 2005, 13:43
Michael - Wow - talk about taking a topic and running with it.............. Thanks a bunch for the information. Since you referenced Kaminoda Sensei, I assume that you're close to the N. Virginia Jodokai group. The reason that I asked the question is that my teacher studied under Nakajima Sensei for a time, and mentioned his sudden death. I got the feeling that it would be in bad taste to pursue it with him further, but I was curious nevertheless. I recently obtained a copy of "Jodo Kyohan" and it is a wonderful book. Although I can't read Japanese (yet), I thought the pictures would be a good reference and it kind of had sentimental value because of my teacher's relationship with Nakajima Sensei. I'm trying to find out if my teacher owns a copy because I thought it might be a good present for him. Thanks again for all the information.