PDA

View Full Version : Vegetatarians in Japan

Juseki
19th November 2000, 05:44
Dear Forum readers,
I was just wondering if there are many vegetarians in Japan. Also would it be difficult being a vegetarian in Japan? Thankyou in advance.

Your's sincerely,
Ben Rodgers juseki@hotmail.com

hyaku
19th November 2000, 14:01
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Juseki
[B]Dear Forum readers,
I was just wondering if there are many vegetarians in Japan. Also would it be difficult being a vegetarian in Japan? Thankyou in advance.

Your's sincerely,

I have not seen so so many. I know it is against Buddhist precepts to kill any living thing but know of very few people or priests who follow this principle except for certain periods when Shojin Riori (abstinence from animal food) is followed. Sadly to say most religion in Japan is “katachi dake” (for appearances sake only).

On the contrary the biggest problem is trying to stop people eating animals that are on the danger list. Any mention of “not eating whale” raises reactions of derision and laughter.
Perhaps Japan ranks second to China in eating anything with legs except the kitchen table.

Also If you ask a large group of people whether they prefer fish or meat, the latter comes way at the top nowadays. A lot of young people complain of fish having a raw stink.

I had a Kendo student come to train here for a year who was a vegetarian. At the time I was worried that their diet would be sufficient to sustain them with all the hard training.

On the contrary with all the fresh tofu, tofu bi-products and excellent variety of both Western and Asian vegetables
there is perhaps more choice here if that’s what you want to do.

Hpope this helps.

Hyakutake Colin

Juseki
20th November 2000, 05:41
Thankyou Hyaku for your reply, it was very helpful.

Your's sincerely,