PDA

View Full Version : I make tabi

Kamiyama
9th June 2005, 09:53
Yes, I make tabi.. if anyone wants help making any.. I have made many pair.. example below..
I have made them out of fleece, cordura, leather, cotton, etc.. very simple..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
10th June 2005, 06:19
A few people e-mailed me and asked which ones last...
I train on tatami matts here at the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy.. the cordura ones last the longest.. I would say out lasting the cotton by one year..
But the problem is.. I have never seen a pair of cordura ones wear out.. so at this ime.. I really cannot say.. but.. maybe a year.. from the looks of the ones I've made.. maybe two years..LOL..

So the cordura ones cost about the same to make as the cotton but out last them far far more months..
My question is.. why haven't these been made like this before?

Oh and the ones above are cotton.. camo type..
They last longer than the Japanese made ones because I use thicker cotton on them and thick nylon on the bottom.. which breaths very well..

OK.. thanks for the e-mails..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Mr_Bozz
15th June 2005, 22:24
A few people e-mailed me and asked which ones last...
I train on tatami matts here at the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy.. the cordura ones last the longest.. I would say out lasting the cotton by one year..
But the problem is.. I have never seen a pair of cordura ones wear out.. so at this ime.. I really cannot say.. but.. maybe a year.. from the looks of the ones I've made.. maybe two years..LOL..

So the cordura ones cost about the same to make as the cotton but out last them far far more months..
My question is.. why haven't these been made like this before?

Oh and the ones above are cotton.. camo type..
They last longer than the Japanese made ones because I use thicker cotton on them and thick nylon on the bottom.. which breaths very well..

OK.. thanks for the e-mails..

ralph severe, kamiyama

I was just about to ask what you use on the bottoms, thanks for answering that. Question though: Nylon doesn't slip? I would think on the mat, it would be slippery as ice???

By the way, what do you charge for making them? apx.

Kamiyama
15th June 2005, 23:25
John, "Question though: Nylon doesn't slip? I would think on the mat, it would be slippery as ice?"

The bottoms are very thick nylon with slight ridges in them.. they move wonderfully on my tatami mats here at the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy.. as well as on the carpet areas..
They just do not wear out..
I have a few different bottoms I use..
18oz nylon... very smooth..
The heavy mesh type nylon you see in the photo..
leather...

John "By the way, what do you charge for making them?"

I did not post this for making sales.. as other feel I use the e-budo forum.. to get students..
I just wanted others to know they can be made.. and FAR better than what you would get out of Japan.. and last FAR longer..

I would like to help those who would like better tabi to wear..

Take for example.. the fleece ones are so soft and warm in the winter..
Why not use them?

The leather ones make great camp slippers to keep the feet warm or protected..

I'm just not a money person and have not pondered making any sales with my tabi..
Maybe in time..

I feel it is an important skill of someone say yondan ranking to be able to make these as well as other equipment.. I mean why train if you are not learning correct living skills from your current teacher? They should know these things right?

Would you like for me to post more photos of the leather ones or fleece ones?

ralph severe, kamiyama

Aristobulus
16th June 2005, 09:49
hey Kamiyama I read the wrong date
lol

Kamiyama
16th June 2005, 10:04
Kamiyama

I saw your tabi post and was wandering if there was a way to get a pattern for your tabi. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Ray McCullough

Ray, I wear a size 11 which is a 29...
Every different type of cloth takes a little change in the pattern.. LOL..
I started off by using a old pair of cotton tabi.. took them apart..
I have so many crazy pair of these here and there after all these years of using them..LOL..
There is a trick to putting them together..
My goodness is there..
But they are simple..

Why not find an old pair.. or tell me what size you are and I will go from there..ok..

I could just take photos of making a pair.. too..
The simple way is always the best way.. right..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Aristobulus
17th June 2005, 23:53
Im a 10 1/2 . Im mostly interested in making a leather pair. I was wandering how you would clasp them closed.

Kamiyama
18th June 2005, 06:02
There are 3 different methods in closing the tabi...
1, velcro
2, tabs
3, ties

I use tabs as many do these days..
I make mine out of kydex.
The use the normal two cord running down the back to close them off with.

When I bring my camera in I will take a photo and post it for you..ok.. wait a day or two.. sorry.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
19th June 2005, 01:37
These are a pair I made with cotton inside and nylon outside.. and they LAST... a long time..

ralph severe, kamiyama

poryu
19th June 2005, 20:52
Hi

you havent said how much they are

Kamiyama
20th June 2005, 03:08
Paul sensei,
Thanks for asking.. but I have not pondered making them to make money.. but maybe in time.. I rather help others..
I do this for personal meditation.. relaxing and just all around bettering myself.. hachimon..

I will post more photos of some of the cool ones once I get my camera here at the Academy.. ok

ralph severe, kamiyama

Sharp Phil
20th June 2005, 04:24
How do you size these, Ralph? Do they correspond to standard shoe sizes?

Kamiyama
20th June 2005, 07:17
Well hello Phil..

I use the normal Japanese size.. I'm 29.. so size 11 USA.

Thank you,

ralph severe, kamiyama

Sharp Phil
20th June 2005, 18:51
I assume you know how to do the conversions? I wouldn't begin to know what my own size was in Japanese format, for example.

Kamiyama
20th June 2005, 23:41
Yes, I do have knowledge of Japanese tabi size.. I have been training in Japanese arts well over 30 years..

As funny as this might sound..
I find it the resposibility of students training in the historcal Japanese arts to make the general knowledge of shoe size a must if they are true students of the skills being trained.

Of course with the computer hook up you can find the size on almost any web site seling these types of tabi.

ralph severe, kamiyama

tweety
21st June 2005, 23:13
I assume you know how to do the conversions? I wouldn't begin to know what my own size was in Japanese format, for example.

Foot length in centimeters.

Sharp Phil
22nd June 2005, 01:22
I did not realize that. Thank you!

Kamiyama
24th June 2005, 00:23
These are leather tabi with 100 wt fleece lining inside..
Warm and so soft..

ralph severe, kamiyama