PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect

meat
10th June 2005, 07:36
Well it's only a few months now until I go to live in Japan for a while, and I had a thought the other day: how can I expect my diet to change while I am there? In Australia, we generally have a plentiful supply of everything here: meat, fresh fruit and veg, whatever. I've heard in Japan especially with fruit and veg, it's somewhat scarcer. Likewise with meat. What is the regular diet while living there?

Mrose
10th June 2005, 11:03
Well you should expect meat, fruits and vegetables, as well as seafood and seaweed. I don't know how much you are paying in Australia, but you will prabably be paying a little more here. Also expect smaller portions. And the best part...Suntory Malts and Asahi Super Dry! two very good beers. Quite refreshing after a hard summer practice. :beer:

By the way, what part of Japan will you be in?

meat
11th June 2005, 02:48
I prefer Sapporo myself Matt :)
The first couple of months I'll be around a bit, sightseeing, and snowboarding in Hokkaido. I'll most likely settle down in either somewhere in Tokyo or Kyoto.

P Goldsbury
12th June 2005, 14:12
I prefer Sapporo myself Matt :)
The first couple of months I'll be around a bit, sightseeing, and snowboarding in Hokkaido. I'll most likely settle down in either somewhere in Tokyo or Kyoto.

Hello,

In your profile you state that you are a student. Are you taking time off from studying at home, or pursuing further studies here in Japan? Or are you embarking on a career here? How's your Japanese?

Sorry for the questions. Your income level will probably affect your lifestyle. I have a class of exchange students here in Hiroshima and they all want to travel around, see the country, and improve their Japanese by doing part-time jobs.

In my experience prices are generally higher here than in Europe (Holland, specifically). But, as anywhere, it depends on your lifestyle. There are food shops where you can buy a perfect apple, probably a replica of the one Eve tasted in the Garden of Eden, and for a price that approximates to what she paid...

Fish is good. If you settle in Tokyo, you should go to Tsukiji fish market and also read T. Bestor's book. The sashimi from the Seto Inland Sea is excellent, but you need to know where to go. The best cuts of meat are also very good, a world apart from the tired katsu that is consumed in a typical student's katsu-kare.

Best regards,

Mrose
12th June 2005, 15:05
Also, if you are feeling a bit adventurous, you can try some of the more "taboo" foods available. I highly recommend basashi (raw horse meat) and depending on how ethical you are feeling, there is also kujira (whale). There is a restaurant that specializes in this in Kabukicho (a rather sleezy part of Shinjuku, but near where I live) that offers a luch set for about 1,ooo yen (roughly $10 U.S.).

I am sure there are other oddities available, but some of the older hands can help you more with that.

meat
13th June 2005, 01:37
Hello,

In your profile you state that you are a student. Are you taking time off from studying at home, or pursuing further studies here in Japan? Or are you embarking on a career here? How's your Japanese?

Sorry for the questions. Your income level will probably affect your lifestyle. I have a class of exchange students here in Hiroshima and they all want to travel around, see the country, and improve their Japanese by doing part-time jobs.

No problem Peter (great name that). I just finished my bachelors here, and am embarking somewhat on a career. I saw somewhat because my time in Japan is pretty much for budo, and I'll live as cheaply as I have to as long as the training is good. My major was Japanese, and while I am very rusty right now (I finished my Japanese major last year, and was finishing my sub major in history this year), at least the basics are still in my head, and I have a few months to brush up a little bit.

Matt: I'm always adventurous when it comes to food, as long as it isn't stuff like kidneys and liver I'll try it. Raw horse meat sounds a bit out there, but I'll try anything once, I gather it has a strong flavour?