PDA

View Full Version : No more Systema in Boston?

stanley neptune
10th June 2005, 14:14
I am bummed out. I contacted Vladimir Vasiliev's school in Toronto because I am going there in August. I wanted to work out there. Who ever responded to my e-mail said there was no Systema school in Boston where I live.

What happened to Arthur Sennott? From my discussions with him he is a great guy. Did he move away? I hope he is well.

I don't know what is going in Boston but it seems like schools are dropping like flies.

Jim Poli who taught aiki jujutsu at his school The Renrikan is closing his school.

These are tough times in Bean Town. At least we still have the Patriots!! Go Pats!!!

Stanley Neptune

Brian Dunham
10th June 2005, 20:59
Art Sennott is a great guy. I went to high school with him, and we both trained at Bushido Kai in Framingham(He for much longer than I). I too would be interested in hearing about what he is up to.

enbudo
13th June 2005, 22:33
Hey Stanley.

No! These are not tough times in Bean Town!

Arthur taught right around the corner from me. Great guy. Very talented. (I mean VERY talented!) Didn't know anything had changed over there, shame if that's true.

My dojo is alive and well. Small, but alive and well.

Best,
J

tmanifold
15th June 2005, 05:58
http://russianmartialart.org/

This is Arthur's site. You could ask him yourself. Maybe he is just not part of Vlad's Org anymore.

Arthur
2nd July 2005, 07:13
I all! A friend sent me an email about this thread, and I figured I should maybe chime in.

I’d like to thank everyone for all the nice words. Lots of names from the past, as they say... its a small world afterall.

For the record, Systema New England's main school is still in the same location it was 6 years ago. We're alive, active and doing better than ever.

Jim Poli who taught aiki jujutsu at his school The Renrikan is closing his school.
I'm sorry to hear that. I just sent him an email, thanks for the heads up.

least we still have the Patriots!! Go Pats!!!
Wahoo!!! And the Red Sox too!

Brian said:

I too would be interested in hearing about what he is up to.
Shoot me an email. arthur@russianmartialart.org It'd be nice to talk. I went down to Bowditch for graduation this year (2 of my students graduated from there this year). It was a strange time machine effect;-)

Jason said:

My dojo is alive and well.
Glad to hear it Jason. And good to hear from you.

Tmanifold said:

http://russianmartialart.org/
This is Arthur's site

Thanks for letting people know.

Tmanifold also said:

Maybe he is just not part of Vlad's Org anymore.
Yes, decided to leave about a year ago.

thanks for your time,
Arthur Sennott

MarkF
2nd July 2005, 08:25
This has little to do with judo or jujutsu so I am thingking it should be moved to Gendai General. The BJJ is OK, but I really do not want Vlad or systema discussed in the judo forum. There are too may variables.

I won't move it right away and as I'm the mod in Gendai Generl, there should not be too much proglem in moving it leaving a redirect. Systema is still a hot potato issue and probably would ge served in Gendai General.

I will not move it right away, so will know what the reaons are.

Thanks you for understanding. You have 24 hours.

Mark

MarkF
2nd July 2005, 08:35
I am going to move the disussion of Vlad and Systema to Gendai budo, but BJJ is fine. I will give a day in which to let most know where it is going.

Not a huge deal, but as liberal as I am, usually, concerning other grappling arts, Systema is mode , and does not take after Japanese judo or jiu-jitsu. Brazilian JJ is just fine as long as ti ties into judo is some way. ]

Mark

P Goldsbury
2nd July 2005, 09:16
This has little to do with judo or jujutsu so I am thingking it should be moved to Gendai General. The BJJ is OK, but I really do not want Vlad or systema discussed in the judo forum. There are too may variables.

I won't move it right away and as I'm the mod in Gendai Generl, there should not be too much proglem in moving it leaving a redirect. Systema is still a hot potato issue and probably would ge served in Gendai General.

I will not move it right away, so will know what the reaons are.

Thanks you for understanding. You have 24 hours.

Mark

In the Aikido Journal forum there is a Systema forum as part of the main forum. However, AJ is dedicated to aikido and there is a general forum for Gendai Budo, I have moved this thread.

Arthur
12th July 2005, 05:38
Mental note... mentioning Non-Judo material in an Aikdo thread is really bad form. Likewise responding to a mention of my own name, in a thread will lead to being berateed for mentionng non Judo points in a Aikido section. Guess I have a lot to learn.

That aside... and "controversey" aside exactly where can we make a special section for
Systema people to bring up names of people in other arts. Shouldn't they find a place to reply to accusations against them.Exactly where are Systema people allowed to post when their name is specifically brought up?

I've always followed all the e-budo rules ... guess I blew it this time. Damn me for reading the thread and the context.

Arthur Sennott

IchiRiKen1
12th July 2005, 10:30
I'm surprised that Systema is such an orphan here... I mean, I agree that some of what has been presented for public viewing (e.g. video clips) hasn't shown the best face of Systema, but I gave it a chance by attending a seminar with Emmanual Monolakakis and by training with the Bear Creek Systema Study Group in/near Seattle (who are a genuinely amazing bunch of guys, if not for their skills in fighting - which are impressive - for their incredible openness and hospitality). By viewing it first hand and participating (and I've said openly that I went there a full blown skeptic looking for the worst possible things but didn't manage to walk away with anything but respect for them) I've definitely come to believe there is value in Systema training.

Troll Basher knows me, as do a few other folks here (though perhaps not from real world interaction as I've had with Troll Basher), and I hope my opinion of at least the Bear Creek Systema folks is taken with some amount of validity. I've been around the block a few times, seen and done some things that were crap, seen and done some things that weren't. I'm no "mastah" nor am I Bruce Lee-Roy, but I know crap when I see it... And thus far I don't think Systema is crap.

Anyway...

stanley neptune
12th July 2005, 13:47
Systema is by no means crap and Arthur is one of the nicest guys in the MA community. He is extremely knowledgeable and very responsive when it comes to sharing his wisdom. He is consistently spoken of in very high terms by all who know him.

Stanley Neptune

IchiRiKen1
12th July 2005, 13:51
Systema is by no means crap and Arthur is one of the nicest guys in the MA community. He is extremely knowledgeable and very responsive when it comes to sharing his wisdom. He is consistently spoken of in very high terms by all who know him.

Stanley Neptune

When I was training in Seattle I met a man named Yuri (I can't fully recall his last name) who trained with Arthur for a time... I was impressed with his ability, though he always downplayed his skill.

Arthur
12th July 2005, 20:07
Well I wasn't being very nice in that last post. I apologize to the modcerator and to the members, for being too touchy, and too sarcastic and surely.

Yuri was a great student and is far better than he will evergive himself credit for. Glad to know he's doing well.

Arthur

EricH
12th July 2005, 21:41
What?!

Yuri the russian guy that comes up from Fort Lewis trained with Arthur?

It is a small world! Hiya Arthur! Hiya Matt!

Cheers,
Eric

MarkF
13th July 2005, 15:32
Well I wasn't being very nice in that last post. I apologize to the modcerator and to the members, for being too touchy, and too sarcastic and surely.

Yuri was a great student and is far better than he will evergive himself credit for. Glad to know he's doing well.

Arthur

I did not take any offense from your post nor do I think other moderators or senior members took any. Sarcasm isn't specifically against policy on e-budo. Matt is known to most moderators as far as I know and it is not the attitude or anything related that has this thread moving around. No one wants to delete it for being "off topic" even though it is in most cases. It has little or nothing to do with "Japanese Martial Arts and Culture" but enough are interested or have been training in Systema that it may be appropriate under certain circumstances. Sometimes those circumstances lead it to be moved to Baffling Budo or Bad Budo. Do a search and you will probably find the more combustible threads on the subject here. It does become a "hot potato" at times but my own post reads a bit more than I wanted to convey (I was trying to give those involved a bit of time to adjust to wherever it was moved). I truly do not recall moving it to the aikido forum. Originally, it was discussed in the aikijujutsu forum a few years ago, and in either of the Bad Budo fora.

I had thought of trying to make this forum more of the kind of Japanese budo that has no true home on E-budo.com but just have not had the time as of late to do so. Even the jujutsu forum is for the discussion of koryu jujutsu, but other gendai styles are discussed there due to a lack of a specific forum for it (the judo forum is OK in many cases). If I can, I may put in a gendai jujutsu forum, a brazilian jiu jitsu forum, or I may just make sure that people know its purpose. Systema is touchy for that reason. It has little relationship to Japanese budo but it does not mean it has no value as a martial art and should be discussed somewhere.

Anyway, I have no plans in moving the thread so if you wish to continue, be my guest, but this will be the exception and rather than the rule (unless it is brought up in conjuction with some Japanese budo).. It is a decent thread and I appreciate the apologies but nothing said here comes close to good reason for disappearing the thread on grounds of poor behavior or anything of the like.

Systema is a problem specific to a bulletin board where the focus is on "Japanese Martial Arts and Culture." That is the major reason it has been moved around. Please do not let this example stop you from posting, just keep it in mind.

Thank you for the friendly discourse.

Best regards,

Mark

MikeWilliams
13th July 2005, 16:05
Sarcasm isn't specifically against policy on e-budo.

In fact, in some of the e-budo forums, it's practically compulsory.

:)

(Sorry Mark, couldn't resist...)