PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

Trevor Johnson
13th June 2005, 04:31
Say, does anyone know what the heck this reputation stat we all have is? It shows up as a green dot at the top right in our posts. I've been noticing it and trying to figure out what it does, and my lack of programming knowledge is defeating me. Unfortunatley, my rather OCD mind won't let it go without a solution, so...

rupert
13th June 2005, 04:34
Maybe it is a replacement for kharma...

Shitoryu Dude
13th June 2005, 05:25
I've seen these before - basically it matches up with the quantity of posts you have and groups them into categories that correlate to newbie, rookie, veteran, super-poster, and needs a life.

:cool:

jest
13th June 2005, 08:06
I've seen these before - basically it matches up with the quantity of posts you have and groups them into categories that correlate to newbie, rookie, veteran, super-poster, and needs a life.

:cool:

I've seen them used on other forums as reputation points: the more reputation you have the more green blocks (or red blocks if you're doing something seriously wrong). Usually you can see how many reputation points you have under user CP.

For an example of this, go to the JSA subforum, click on the zatoichi-ryu thread and find the links to the kendo forum. The zatoichi ryu chappie has a couple of red blocks next to his username on the kendo forum...

Sharp Phil
13th June 2005, 12:03
"Reputation Points" are this neat feature thought up by the folks who created our bulletin board software. They guarantee a drop in forum quality as the venue becomes a ridiculous popularity contest.

Troll Basher
13th June 2005, 12:22
There are several web boards that use this same type of “rep points” thingy and what happens is if you piss someone off they will more often than not “sharp shoot” your rep points by giving you a (-) rep point but because they are cowards won’t sign their name.
It all seems pretty childish to me but some folks think it’s useful.

Simon Ford-Powell
13th June 2005, 12:29
but you guys all have just the one green dot, even tho' you have considerable differences in you total posts figures. So how does it work?

gendzwil
13th June 2005, 14:52
Click on the little "scales of justice" thing at the top right of the post. That lets you add or subtract to the reputation of the poster, and add a comment if you like. We have the same thing over on kendo world, it's not used very much there.

william northcote
13th June 2005, 18:57
Click on the little "scales of justice" thing at the top right of the post. That lets you add or subtract to the reputation of the poster, and add a comment if you like. We have the same thing over on kendo world, it's not used very much there.

They use it a lot on Martial Talk. Some have loads of dark green and light green. The reputation goes by voting on what you have to say in posts. If you post a great comment, your points go up. Call someone an a$$ clown and you get negative and red.

On MT, I recently got another green square after 1 year. But I have been called a racist, even though I was quoting lyrics from a song about racism by the band Faithless, and gained 2 red.

If people live in the reputation points area of posting, then you either have a lot to say and say it well, or you need to go training more often. Personally, I do not care about the squares as someone may agree with BS and award you something. It is not a mark of knowledge, but the agreement on peoples opinion.

Trevor Johnson
13th June 2005, 19:28
Cool, thanks, all!

Now that I know what the heck that thing is, my little OCD obsessively curious mind can let it rest. Sigh, my dad did his best to raise me as a scientist. He succeeded. Unfortunately, that means that once I see something I don't understand, it bugs me all out of proportion to its importance...

william northcote
13th June 2005, 22:45
Cool, thanks, all!

Now that I know what the heck that thing is, my little OCD obsessively curious mind can let it rest. Sigh, my dad did his best to raise me as a scientist. He succeeded. Unfortunately, that means that once I see something I don't understand, it bugs me all out of proportion to its importance...

We can cure that by copious ammounts of drink and a cardboard box to live in :D

Wounded Ronin
14th June 2005, 03:30
I don't think anonymous reputation, which is how it's set up, is necessarily a good idea. It's better if you know who disapproves of you.

Trevor Johnson
14th June 2005, 03:41
I don't think anonymous reputation, which is how it's set up, is necessarily a good idea. It's better if you know who disapproves of you.

As in, to know if they're worth paying attention to?

Cady Goldfield
14th June 2005, 13:48
Just another incarnation of karma points from the old software.

william northcote
14th June 2005, 14:04
As in, to know if they're worth paying attention to?

Yep. Plus it gives you the option of using the ignore feature more. :p

Ramirez
14th June 2005, 14:16
How do you even rate someone? I never noticed this until I saw this thread.

Cady Goldfield
14th June 2005, 14:30
Maybe it's deactivated like the karma one was. I hope so. :p

gendzwil
14th June 2005, 15:12
I explained that upthread, pay attention, people :) It's activated.

MikeWilliams
14th June 2005, 15:25
So what are the definitions?

I'm "on a distinguished road" apparently, while Cady is "off the scale".

"Off the scale"??? Should Cady be insulted or flattered? Is it better than being "distinguished"?

:rolleyes: :)

Cady Goldfield
14th June 2005, 15:47
Better than being "extinguished"... ;)

CEB
14th June 2005, 19:22
On a scale of 1 to 10 Cady is a 12.

CEB
14th June 2005, 19:34
Off the scale

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and....
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause.] These go to eleven.

Shitoryu Dude
14th June 2005, 20:21
A twelve? Have you seen her naked or something? :cool:

Cady Goldfield
15th June 2005, 02:35
Nah. I think he just liked my contributions to the "thong" and "well endowed" threads in the Men's Room... :D

rupert
15th June 2005, 05:26
So, what is this distinguished road we are all supposed to be on? Where does it lead?

william northcote
15th June 2005, 06:27
So, what is this distinguished road we are all supposed to be on? Where does it lead?

[mad will doing the Spike Milligan thing from Life of Brian]
It leads to the house that Jack built, the 3 pigs settled in and the Big, Bad Wolf from Doctor Who blew down.

Or you could go down the other path, which is the disenchanted forest, and in the middle of this forest you find a white flower. But you must never take a hoover into that forest. Hoovers are not good in there as nature abhorres a vacuum.

[Tales of woe end]

Or it could be something completely different.

Trevor Johnson
15th June 2005, 16:38
But you must never take a hoover into that forest. Hoovers are not good in there as nature abhorres a vacuum.

That is horrible!!! (Groans and applause) I hereby invite you to Callahan's!