PDA

View Full Version : Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iai-Do

chrismoses
16th June 2005, 16:05
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iai-Do. I found their site recently and it seems that they are based in part on the line of Shinto Ryu that I study. If anyone on this board is an active or past member, I would love to compare notes, particularly if you were aware of what aspects of your training came from Shinto Ryu as opposed to Hokushin Itto Ryu.

Here (http://www.txc.net.au/~hokushin/) is the website that I found. Thanks in advance.

Tim Atkinson
16th June 2005, 22:41
I had about 12 months training with a New Zealand Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iai-do. I was 16 at the time and this was my first exposure to iai or any JSA. I only learnt the first five kata. Though I did see performed by others, kata against a yari. I have often wondered where these kata came from.

Sorry to muddy the waters.

meekrat
22nd June 2005, 14:18
I've been activly a member of hokushin shinoh ryu in Brisbane under Nick and Jacqui Callahan for about 3 years now. Our school went to the taikai in Nagoya last year as well. If you have any questions what so ever please ask. I would strongly recommend it...

Also Tim if you would like to continue in shinoh ryu there is a class at the PCYC in Beenleigh run by mike little at 6:30pm
Failing that we train at the Lota PCYC 7:30pm Tuesday nights.

*edit: Oh Tim the waza you are referring to is called Yari-Sebaki.

Tim Atkinson
22nd June 2005, 22:39
Jonathan,

Thanks for the low down.

I am in the process of making the move from the Gold Coast to Brisbane. I will see how things pan out when I get there.

Again thanks for the info.

meekrat
24th June 2005, 06:32
No problem, if you feel like training again just send me an email and I'll give you the details then.

chrismoses
24th June 2005, 19:11
Thanks to those of you who have replied. I'm interested in finding similiarities that may exist between our styles. In Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu, one of our distinguishing features is fumichigai a jumping step change simultaneous with a downward cut or occasionally a tsuki. Is this something preserved in HSR?

Thanks in advance.

meekrat
27th June 2005, 14:46
Chris, yes a few techniques involve those movements...

tameshigiriguy
9th July 2012, 19:02
Hello all,
A few observations of my own from thier website and training with them.
I recently discovered this "Koryu" style advertised by accident and made an enquiry that resulted in an invitation to train at a normal Friday night class then attend a seminar on Saturday 07/07/12.

The teachers are pleasant people who clearly know how to handle thier swords.There are 3 Dojo in Auckland and one in Tauranga and all the Teachers were present at the seminar along with about 12 or so students.

The Iaido was good.
I asked about the "koryu" claim and was told that the sensei called it that.
Investigations made through Kory.com revealed nothing on thier name.
Others on this site have provided a better lineage of the founding style which is Koryu.
This is the link to thier lineage page-http://hokushin.com.au/about/history

I also raised questions about a "teaching license" being issued at Nidan level(if wanted" and the requirement to pay an annual fee to renew this license.
This is not "normal" for a "teaching license",draw your own conclusions.

I also made enquiries of another genuine Koryu style through Koryu.com and was advised to pursue that style if at all possible as it is a complete system.
I have also meet the Head of the style at a seminar in Auckland 2 years ago
I have made contact with thier representative who is in Hamilton and will take it from there.
He is a high ranking Karateka who also trains in Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu and has a shoden menkyo for this style.
I have meet him too and he is a genuine guy.

My conclusions are that they are good at what they do and have a link back to a fairly decent lineage but are not exactly what I'm after as they only do Iaido with Iaito.
I was not allowed to use my Nihonto at any time and no one is allowed to use "live blades" for anything but Tameshigiri done infrequently.

John Williams