PDA

View Full Version : Old Ranking Systems

Ron Goninan
20th November 2000, 23:38
Can anybody supply information regarding the Koryu Uchinadi ranking systems prior to to the advent of belts?

I'm interested in investigating the older methods of rank recognition even as far as the Pechin status used on old Okinawa.

Anybody?

Regards,

Ron Goninan

Doug Daulton
21st November 2000, 18:31
Originally posted by Ron Goninan
Can anybody supply information regarding the Koryu Uchinadi ranking systems prior to to the advent of belts?

I'm interested in investigating the older methods of rank recognition even as far as the Pechin status used on old Okinawa.

Ron:

As far as I know, there were no rank systems among the old teachers. The belt ranks were adopted from Judo early in the 20th century (hey we're now in the 21st :D ) Prior to that, the old weapons and empty-hand techniques were not really taught publicly.

Because they were taught within the families or to close associates, there really wasn't any need for a ranking system ... everyone knew who was senior to them, because everyone knew each other very well. As an analogy, one doesn't need rank to know that one's older brother is older and presumably wiser than him ... this is learned in the cradle and reinforced by daily interaction with him in the home. Such was the same for the old dojo I would think.

As for the Pechin, I understand they were "the king's men" so I'd imagine there was some sort of quasi-military or king's-court (duke-count-earl) structure that had less to do with ability and more to do with political influence. Some would argue that the modern belt system operates in much the same way.

In closing, let me be clear that the above represents my hypotheses on the subject. Perhaps someone else can lend more concrete fact to the discussion.

kusanku
22nd November 2000, 01:36
Doug, I think you got it in one.:D

John