PDA

View Full Version : Favourite budo aphorism in Japanese

ichibyoshi
29th June 2005, 13:54
Imagine you're trying to get some high school students inspired by the study of Japanese culture and budo... sure, for probably everyone here that interest is in-built, but just imagine. At the same time you want to try and impart some of the more socially useful and ethical ideas budo has articulated: these kids need some framework to hang the good stuff on. Respect, perseverance, seeing past the surface: all these things are almost there in these kids but they just need a bit of inspiration, a bit of a spark to trigger their own inquiry.

How many inspirational maxims* (or just interesting single characters) can you think of that come from your study of budo? As a kendoka, I know a lot get printed on tenugui. I can think of:

isshou ken mei
ken shin mei dou (sword heart bright way)
bu toku
mu shin (and all the variations)
dai dou mu mon (great way with no beginning)
kokoro
kou ken chi ai
jin gi rei chi shin

There'd be more but early-onset Alzheimers has stolen the rest of...

If you can type the kanji, even better!

b

PS - can anyone remember how to write the Japanese version of "get over yourself"? Literally I think it is "overcome yourself".

Moenstah
1st July 2005, 11:37
Fugen jikko

Simon Ford-Powell
1st July 2005, 17:15
jita kyoei and seiryoku zenyo..

oh and a nice one for when experienced people screw up:

Saru mo ki kara ochiru (even monkeys fall out of trees)

ichibyoshi
2nd July 2005, 07:38
Fugen jikko

Thanks Remi. I don't know this one. Can you post either the kanji, or an approximate English translation?

cheers,

b

ichibyoshi
2nd July 2005, 07:41
jita kyoei and seiryoku zenyo..

oh and a nice one for when experienced people screw up:

Saru mo ki kara ochiru (even monkeys fall out of trees)

Thanks to you too Simon. The last one's a good one--I'll definitely be using that one! But the other two I don't know either. Can you also provide kanji or a trans?

b

Simon Ford-Powell
2nd July 2005, 10:39
look up texts on kano for full and detailed translations, but basically, "jita kyoei" is normally translated as mutual welfare/benefit. It was kano's concept that judo practice was always to be for the benefit of both participents in any given situation. "seiryoku zenyo" is usually translated as maximum effectiveness with minimum effort and was his rational behind choice of technique and method

ichibyoshi
4th July 2005, 15:53
look up texts on kano for full and detailed translations, but basically, "jita kyoei" is normally translated as mutual welfare/benefit. It was kano's concept that judo practice was always to be for the benefit of both participents in any given situation. "seiryoku zenyo" is usually translated as maximum effectiveness with minimum effort and was his rational behind choice of technique and method

Thanks Simon, much appreciated!

b

Moenstah
7th July 2005, 10:08
Thanks Remi. I don't know this one. Can you post either the kanji, or an approximate English translation?

cheers,

b

Dear Ben,

According to my sempei 'fugen jikko' is the Japanese equivalent of 'shut up and train'. These are the kanji (all in good faith, since I don't know any japanese)

Cheers,

Remi

fifthchamber
8th July 2005, 05:45
自他共栄 is Jita Kyoei. (Everyones benefit)
勢力善用 is Seiryoku Zenyou (Or 精力)...The idea being to use power in the best way possible.
I've grown fond of hearing "あー痛いです!" when training..It may be even better when someone other than myself is saying it though...
Regards...

Troll Basher
20th July 2005, 01:37
....... I've grown fond of hearing "あー痛いです!" when training..It may be even better when someone other than myself is saying it though...
Regards...

Actually I am more fond of the one I hear after training….. "乾杯!" ;)

fifthchamber
20th July 2005, 02:19
Hello Robert,
Yeah...Ain't it funny how a cold one goes down better after training....Ooooo...You were talking about beer....Ahhh...I get it...
Heh..
Regards,
Ben

Troll Basher
20th July 2005, 02:22
Hello Robert,
Yeah...Ain't it funny how a cold one goes down better after training....Ooooo...You were talking about beer....Ahhh...I get it...
Heh..
Regards,
Ben

Beer is better known as "after training medicine" since it makes all those injuries feel better. ;)

Todd Lambert
31st July 2005, 12:20
Dear Ben,

According to my sempei 'fugen jikko' is the Japanese equivalent of 'shut up and train'. These are the kanji (all in good faith, since I don't know any japanese)

Cheers,

Remi
I've heard damatte keiko used for the same translation - Shut up & train.
黙って稽古

Prince Loeffler
20th August 2008, 17:16
Sorry to ressurect an old thread...( It took a whole night looking for this !..:D )

I am trying to install a small banner on the entrance of the dojo training floor that has some sort a a qoute to remind students to be mindful of "reishiki"

Anyone got some ideas ?? Thanks !!

ScottUK
20th August 2008, 17:19
I love this (you'll need to get it translated though):

"All know the Way; Few actually walk it." - Bodhidharma

Prince Loeffler
20th August 2008, 17:22
I love this (you'll need to get it translated though):

"All know the Way; Few actually walk it." - Bodhidharma

ooohhh ! This is a good one....hmmmm I like it !

fifthchamber
21st August 2008, 07:57
How about;

"武道は礼に始まり礼に終る"

"Budo wa rei ni hajimari rei ni owaru"

"Budo starts and ends with correct manners"

That might cover all the ends you wanted covered?

Regards..

kongozen
21st August 2008, 08:22
I liked your post very much, as I consider it vital for each person to know and live by such quotes or aphorisms. In Kongozen Shorinji Kempo, we have the following quotes or characteristics that we live by:
1. Ken Zen Ichinyo (Mind and Body are one)
2. Go Ju Ittai (Hard and Soft work together)
3. Kumite Shutai (Pairwork is fundamental in training)
4. Fusatsu Katsujin Ken (Not to kill but to give life)
5. Shushu Koju (Defense preceeds offense)
6. Riki Ai Funi (Strength and Love work together)

These are the foundations on which Kongo Zen Shorinji Kempo is built. The Founder Kaiso Doshin So, did an excellant job here.