PDA

View Full Version : Beer vending machines going bye bye?

John Lindsey
21st November 2000, 06:29
I just heard a rumor that made me sick...they are taking away many of the beer vending machines in Japan because of kids buying the stuff. Oh my, that was the 2nd reason I love to go to Japan :).

Animo
21st November 2000, 12:47
John,

I sadly report that all the beer vending machines that we found in Machida now have soda and coffee products in them.:( We were forced to get our beer from the 7-11. Yet another Japanese tradition lost. :cry:

Bishamon
30th November 2000, 06:19
I am afraid that my own experience only confirms this suspicion--the trusty Asahi Super Dry jidouhanbaiki down the street from my apartment that I looked to for inspiration and companionship for many years was turned off a few months ago (the actual machine still remains as a dark, silent monument to an era gone by), which means I now have to walk 200 feet further to purchase my libations at the 24-hour AMPM. :rolleyes: The sign on the machine states that the reason for its retirement is precisely the same as what John said--the owners of the machine (the liquor store right next door) don't want to contribute to teenage deliquency and underage drinking. The wording of the sign, however, made it seem like it was a personal decision on the part of the owner, not a mandate handed down by the government--perhaps it's just a grassroots kind of thing. (Did Japan suddenly develop a concience? What gives? Maybe it's time for me to leave after all! ;) )

Mark Brecht
30th November 2000, 06:34
Originally posted by Bishamon
...which means I now have to walk 200 feet further to purchase my libations at the 24-hour AMPM...

:up: Hmmmm, since when is AMPM selling Booze...???

Bishamon
1st December 2000, 04:55
Originally posted by Mark Brecht

...which means I now have to walk 200 feet further to purchase my libations at the 24-hour AMPM...

:up: Hmmmm, since when is AMPM selling Booze...???

It depends on the AMPM branch in question, but the one in my neighborhood has been selling beer and liquor ever since, well, it first opened, I suppose.

24-hour liquor sales are a good thing--especially when you need that 6am eye-opener after passing out in the bushes two hours earlier...>*cough*Roppongi bender*cough, cough*< ;)

Parmenion
1st December 2000, 09:33
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
It cant be happening!
I am going to Japan for teh first time towrads the end of December for a Judo training camp and stuff, and to be denied the wonders that is Beer vending machines is disasterous.

Then again, maybe its because all the top Japanese beer people came to Australia, and discovered that we really do make the worlds best beer, and they have stolen our secret recipies, and plan to replace them with all new Australian beer vending machines. Hrmm, now that I type all that out, its sounds pretty stupid. Nothing new there I guess ;)

Hey , not to sound too gullible,buta s we are talking of vending mahcines, I was told that in the filthier areas of Japan you could by panties out of vending machines. Now, I'm a little sceptical.. is this true?

Bishamon
4th December 2000, 02:04
Originally posted by Parmenion
Hey , not to sound too gullible,buta s we are talking of vending mahcines, I was told that in the filthier areas of Japan you could by panties out of vending machines. Now, I'm a little sceptical.. is this true?

Actually, that's true--I saw one such vending machine in Chiba prefecture about 7 years ago (although none since--maybe the government started cracking down?). In fact, in some of the more rural areas of Japan, there is a big problem with panty thieves--they will literally steal any and all women's underwear right off the clothesline. It's happened to a couple of female friends of mine. I shudder to think of those poor undergarments' collective fates...:rolleyes:

Harold James
4th December 2000, 07:15
I am ahppy to report that the machines by my house still carry beer, and sake. Don't forget that there are machines that sell sake and chu-hi as well as beer.

But... Now the more and more of the machines require one to insert thier drivers license into a slot so it can be scanned and if you are old enough you can buy the fluid of your fancy.

What do you do if you don't have a license? I don't know.Go to convience shop I guess. Or get some drunk to buy it for you and just give him a can of beer. I have heard that the machines will scan the card you get when you register as a foriegner as well, but I haven't tried this yet. I am too afriad it won't give it back.

I saw on the news last night that there is vertually no regulation of selling alcahol to minors (20 years to drink here by law) at convience stores. Japan is now starting to think of some legislation but then I have seen kids in high school uniforms drinking at Izakaya so I think no ones cares too much about it. Money is more important than morality I guess.

But like I said, the machines still sell beer out here in my neck of the woods.

O yeah, by the way, as winter is coming on, I found that two bottles (little glass cups) of the cheapest hot sake any machine sells is just the trick to stay warm on your way home from the dojo. One for each pocket, keeps your hands warm.

Later

Bishamon
4th December 2000, 08:14
Originally posted by Harold James
O yeah, by the way, as winter is coming on, I found that two bottles (little glass cups) of the cheapest hot sake any machine sells is just the trick to stay warm on your way home from the dojo. One for each pocket, keeps your hands warm.

Later

I hope that the only other thing you use them for besides warming your hands is disinfecting cuts and acid-washing sheets of metal--I've found that that stuff is the easiest way to go blind this side of Thunderbird!!! :burnup:

Cup Ozeki--aww man, that stuff brings back BAD memories (or lack thereof, as the case may be...) :cry:

Harold James
4th December 2000, 22:45

I hope that the only other thing you use them for besides warming your hands is disinfecting cuts and acid-washing sheets of metal--I've found that that stuff is the easiest way to go blind this side of Thunderbird!!! :burnup:

[/B]

I was going to suggest using the sake as a solution for cleaning windows. It don't leave streaks.You are right, it is rather nasty stuff to drink.

Maybe we could start a new thread on all the ways to use cheap sake other than drinking it. Like "... and it really did a great job degreasing my car engine too!"

Parmenion
5th December 2000, 06:13
Wow! Panty theives exist. Thats amazing :) I thought that sort of stuff ony happneed in Ranma 1/2 with that old man (Happosai or something like). Oneof my freinds tried to make me promise to bring back a pair .. disturbing enough .. even worse is that its a female friend .She was joking , I think ( I hope :) )