PDA

View Full Version : self-mummification

kev
11th July 2005, 21:06
some time ago,i saw a tv-report about japaneese? monks who meditated till their death and through that they mummificated themselves,it was really interesting,but unfortunately i couldn't watch the whole report.does anyone heard about that phenomenon?

MikeWilliams
11th July 2005, 23:16
Whatever you do, don't do a google search. You'll turn up some very strange stuff! :)

elder999
11th July 2005, 23:22
Whatever you do, don't do a google search. You'll turn up some very strange stuff! :)

Here. (http://www.sonic.net/~anomaly/japan/dbuddha.htm)

Estimates of the number of self-mummified priests in Japan range between sixteen and twenty-four priests. Impressive though this number is, many more have tried to self-mummify themselves; In fact, the practice of self-mummification -- which is a form of suicide, after all -- had to be outlawed towards the end of the 19th century to prevent Buddhist priests from offing themselves this way... and yet the grand majority of priests who have tried to do this have failed.

kev
11th July 2005, 23:31
thank you for the interesting link...
kev

Tudor
28th September 2005, 00:50
It is intriguing, and macabre at the same time. To be able to do this to your body does seem break beyond all forms of what is believed to be the mind-body connection that we hold as a hard truth.

*edited due to redundancy*

budoka_ch
28th September 2005, 03:49
some time ago,i saw a tv-report about japaneese? monks who meditated till their death and through that they mummificated themselves,it was really interesting,but unfortunately i couldn't watch the whole report.does anyone heard about that phenomenon?

I believe I've seen a similar program (National Geographic, perhaps?)

About a Shingon sect on Hokkaido, as I recall.

As I understand it, the process was initiated through a strict diet, then progressing through austere physical training, all the while subsisting mainly on a certain type of tree bark.

Interesting, but very macabre stuff...

Jason Chambers
1st October 2005, 01:28
Now here I thought this was a conversation about a fetish....

Tudor
1st October 2005, 04:43
LOL but isn't everything, if you think about it, a fetish? Just have to look beyond the obvious reasons for doing everything, and see the personal, realistic-hidden, reasons for doing such. It goes a long way to destroying prejudice, hate, and misunderstanding of all thoughts/fetishes. :D