PDA

View Full Version : SMR DVD with Matsui Kenji Sensei

A. Bakken
13th July 2005, 18:28
http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product691.html

Anyone seen it? Comments?

T. Harold James
14th July 2005, 01:56
There are three videos. The first one includes Kihon and the Seiteigata. The second and third videos include the Koryu kata (minus the last five that only Menkyo are taught). One has Kenjutsu and the other Tanjo. Matsui Kenji does the Fukuoka line and so if you do another, the kata have some variations that others do not do and one one set is not done at all (the Tokyo line; Shimizu Daisensei's line does it though). The tapes are in Japanese. It was filmed I think maybe at the Budokan in Ayase but I'm not too sure. You will get to see Matsui Sensei and Suzuki Sensei do Jo on a basketball court. They are OK I guess. A bit expensive. I don't know if they are on DVD and if so if they have been updated interms of new or added material. I am not sure what else is out there as far as instructional videos go. If you want you can send me a message and I can elaborate on some of the differences between the Fukuoka line and the Tokyo lines if you want that much information.

Andy Watson
14th July 2005, 11:08
I have a couple of the koryu tapes and like Mr James noticed the difference between Matsui S Fukuoka style and the Kanto style that I practise. Matsui S is however a Menkyo Kaiden and his jodo is quite brilliant. These tapes are the best quality instructional vids I have seen (and I am not a fan of instructional vids). They are well filmed and the explanations, while in Japanese, are adequately detailed for a video.

Wasn't so sure of his rearranging the seitei order to make them easier to remember though. Having to learn the forms in one order and relearn the order sounds like a step too far.

Mekugi
18th July 2005, 17:33
Here all this time I thought he was part of the Kanto scene....

Matsui Kenji does the Fukuoka line and so if you do another, the kata have some variations that others do not do and one one set is not done at all (the Tokyo line; Shimizu Daisensei's line does it though).

A. Bakken
18th July 2005, 18:55
I did pick up the 3 DVDs from Mugendo Budogu. Pricey, but absolutely worth it IMO. Nice production, though of course the producers had to throw in some cheesy '80s-style synth music... :cool: