PDA

View Full Version : Circle of life theory and application in a duellum

Jonathan Dupuis
21st November 2000, 22:48
The circle of life, philosophical concept in Kendo

Ever wonder what was the perimeter in which a fighter can defend or attack. In kendo, there's a theory which states that once an adversary is able to enter that perimeter, an attack can be anticipated since he has , once inside is opponent circle ( sphere ), the possibility to reach is body. So the principal assertion of this theory is that sphere or circle of life is the field of attack and the field of defense. By field, i'm speaking of the vectorial sphere that end with the maximum reach of your hands and the maximum reach of your feats. So you can attack once a object is in your circle of life, but outside of it, none of the attack are dangerous since it goes off the circle.

The idea for the adept is to assure is protection by being conscious of this invisible sphere. It's a abstraction of a reality which can only be manifested as a concept. There is not real sphere or attack/defense perimeter call circle of life. It is only a name given to a primary concept on which is based the strategical planing of an attack or defense.

Folks interested in discuting this conception are welcome to send comments. In hope that this message will reopen the debate on the matter.

the Khazar Kid
24th November 2000, 21:50
That sounds exactly like the Spanish style of fighting, "La Verdadera Destreza" (The True Art and Skill). You can read more about the Magick Circle and its usage in combat in the articles here: http://www.martinez-destreza.com/!

Jesse Peters

Cady Goldfield
24th November 2000, 23:15
An old, old universal principle based on commonsense awareness and manipulation of ma-ai. Every form of combat, armed or unarmed, must employ this principle somewhere in practice and theory.

Ain't nuthin' mysterious or new. Even Bruce Lee frequently cited the "sphere of influence" in his teaching and writing. I think he's even quoted talking about it in Joe Hyams' "Zen and the Martial Arts" as well in his own "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do." :)

Jin
25th November 2000, 23:29
I thought the sphere was dictated by your weapon....??

we are taught that once the enemys kissaki enters our sphere, he can be attacked or struck.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you found how large your sphere is by holding a chuden-no-gamae and slowly trace a circle with the kissaki 360' around you and this circle could then be used to judge your "sphere of life".

Am I wring or right..???
or both...?

thanks in advance for any replies...

Brian James

Nicki Gerstner
26th November 2000, 10:07
Hello all,

there´s an outstanding article concerning "maai" by Diane Skoss on the site of Koryu.com. Very recommended reading.
subarashi !!!
Regards,