PDA

View Full Version : Bo Book of Toshihiro Obata?

tgall
18th July 2005, 12:02
Hello,

I found a book about Bo-Jutsu from Obata at an german online book shop:

http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/work/outputexpert?id=42db875550723&frame=yes&flag=new&menupic=yes&mode=viewone&titnr=210160587&linkcol=ff0000&stich=obata+&katalog=255

I tried to find that book or some infomation about it over google, but don't find any hint for it. Does anybody know, if it was ever printed? Cause the LOB-Page was the only homepage I found this book.

Sincerly

Thomas Gall

Budoka 34
19th July 2005, 03:09
Thomas,

The book was published by Dragon Publishing during the 90s. Copies apear to be somewhat rare. Obata's books seem to have a pretty substantial following.

I've tried to obtain a copy of this one on several occasions.

tgall
19th July 2005, 08:31
Hello Budoka 34,

I had tryed to order it over LOB, but with out sucesses. This was the only place I heard about the book, so I really start thinking that it had been never published. But good to know now. Thanks for your help.

Thomas

tgall
20th July 2005, 08:28
Hello Budoka34

every tryed to get the book form a libary, so that u could make a photocopy of it for your collection, until you would find of that you could buy?

Thomas

Nathan Scott
26th July 2005, 01:55
Hi all,

Obata Toshishiro sensei didn't write any books on bojutsu. He did include some bojutsu in his "Kama" book, but the ISBN codes don't match that of the OOP book ya'll are talking about.

It's possible you are confusing Obata Toshishiro with Oshiro Toshihiro, who is affiliated with Dragon Books and teaches a style of Okinawan Bo:

http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/articleb2.htm

Regards,

tgall
26th July 2005, 15:09
Hello Nathan,

I' ve got the Kama Book in my collection. I found two book shops, the german one -I had posted the link- and "barnes and nobles" that say that Obata should be the author of a Bo-Book. Perhaps you could be right that they have change the names, but normaly videos don't have ISBN numbers.
And as fare as I' ll know Oshiro never had wirtten a book about Bo-Jitsu, just made the video. I also had checked if the changed the book with the one of Demura, but this also don't fit with the ISBN numbers.

Thomas

Budoka 34
26th July 2005, 16:00
Obata Toshishiro sensei didn't write any books on bojutsu

Obata Toshishiro did infact write a book on Bojutsu.

ISBN: 0946062285
Title: Bo-Karate Weapon Art of Okinawa
Author: Toshishiro Obata
Publisher: Dragon Pub Corp
Edition: Softcover

I've seen copies. It's justy not a common book.

Nathan Scott
27th July 2005, 20:20
Well, either I'm experiencing a great brain fart, or Obata Sensei wrote a book I didn't know about and have never come across. I've been training with him for many years, and he had not mentioned it and does not even have this book on his own book shelf. He did publish a few books with Dragon, and the ISBN number is in the same ball park as some of his other books. Guess I'll have to look into it.

If anyone comes across a copy or a scan of the cover, please post something here!

Thanks,

tgall
28th July 2005, 11:03
Hello Nathan,

you bought it there? Could you ask Obata Sensei about this book? Or was it just an other link that say it exist?

Thomas

Budoka 34
28th July 2005, 12:14
Nathan,

If he has any copies lying around I'll buy them. :)

You're lucky to train with him directly, of course you probably hear that all the time.
His books have become very collectable over the last few years. Values have increased considerably.

Nathan Scott
31st July 2005, 20:32
Thanks guys. I'm pretty surprised by the existance of this book. I had years of budo experience before training with Obata Sensei, but he pretty much overhauled my way of thinking and training. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have trained with someone of his experience and ability level.

His books have been going for a fair amount of money these days. A few of them are going for over $100. The content of these books is pretty solid even though the presentaion of the books by the publisher was kind of flashy.

Regards,

Shukokai guy
30th September 2005, 21:30
Hi guys

I'm here to put your mind at rest, but not in a good way........there is no Obata Bo book.

I've been down this route before looking for this book so I contacted Dragon Books directly a couple of years ago and got a reply from David Chambers himself. Apparently there was a Bo book planned but Oshiro never continued the agreement (he didn't turn up for the photo shoot or something like that).

Shame that, it would have been a cracker if it was even half as good as his other books.

Cheers

Gil Ross

Brian Owens
30th September 2005, 22:16
...I'm here to put your mind at rest, but not in a good way........there is no Obata Bo book.
I can accept that there is not, and has never been, a Dragon Books title on the Bo by Obata Sensei, but I find it hard to believe that there has never been such a book by any puplisher since there is an ISBN number for such a book.

I'll have to put on my detective hat and look into this more closely.