PDA

View Full Version : "Advanced Stickfighting" by Hatsumi.

James R. Finley
21st July 2005, 04:41
Hi. Several quick questions regarding the new book "Advanced Stickfighting" by Hatsumi:

1. I am interested to know if this book is mostly just pictures or is there extensive written parts too?

2. Is the written part comparable in quantity to "The Way of the Ninja: Secret Techniques?" I really want to make sure that it isn't basically a picture book with very little writing.

3. Is the written part exclusively on stickfighting or is there some philosophy, etc. in it? How much non-stickfighting is there?

4. Does anyone know of any websites that offer scans of sample pages from the book?

Any information from anyone who has actually seen the book is appreciated. Please be as specific as possible. Thanks. James R. Finley.

jlen215
21st July 2005, 05:10
This link tells you alittle bit about the book
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=20686&cat=284&page=1

I should get my book tomorrow or friday so i could tell you alittle bit more then.

Jeffrey Lendzinski

budomuso
21st July 2005, 14:30
1. I am interested to know if this book is mostly just pictures or is there extensive written parts too?

2. Is the written part comparable in quantity to "The Way of the Ninja: Secret Techniques?" I really want to make sure that it isn't basically a picture book with very little writing.

The format is similar to Way of the Ninja. Its packed with photos and pics (some of which, annoyingly, are uncaptioned). In terms of text, there's a good bit less than Way... You'll get through it in one short sitting.

3. Is the written part exclusively on stickfighting or is there some philosophy, etc. in it? How much non-stickfighting is there?

The written part contains stick fighting and philosophy (bushido and so on), blending the two seemlessly.

You get the original Japanese text as an appendix. Looking at this, it seems as though the translation is a little bit simplified. Irritatingly, the characters for 'left' and 'right' a frequently mistranslated, but you can check this for yourself in the appendix.

The photos are like in Way..., more 'feely' than detailed with lots of long exposures and no particular concern for getting the pictures in order. As a manual its not very good. Personally, I prefer the format of the original stick fighting book. That is probably the easiest martial arts manual to apply.

poryu
21st July 2005, 15:23
Hi

it has the kamae and kata for kukishinden bojutsu adn 8 of the jo kata

step by step pics

some text

James R. Finley
22nd July 2005, 02:36
I appreciate everyones' assistance. It has been very helpful. James R. Finley.

Baio
22nd July 2005, 07:19
i think it's basically the same info as the bojutsu video a few different techniques

budomuso
22nd July 2005, 14:59
Regarding the technique "Kumite" at the end of the bojutsu section.
Is this a new kata introduced by Hatsumi sensei? De-classified kuden? Or just something interesting to play with?