PDA

View Full Version : Kobudo (VHS/DVD)

E.elemental
23rd July 2005, 22:28
I am searching for some more VHS/DVD with Kobudo/Kobujutsu. The main purpose is not to learn from but because I find it interesting to see different styles and thoughts. Whats your opinion on the ones below, and are there more VHS/DVD sources to find. Well of course there are, I know a few more but what would you suggest? I am only interested in tapes from the somewhat older styles, not forms without connection with the old masters. I also have seen the documentary of Shinken Taira Sensei, does Dough Daulton know of any more production on the way? By the way I must say that Hanshi Dometrich was very kind to send me a DVD with Bo and sai Kihon. :)

1. Patrick McCarthy: 1 VHS with Kihon and Koryu No Kon (Yamane-Ryu). I have this and find the tape good, he explains so I can understand the movements I am doing. Nice tape.

2. Shimpo Matayoshi: 2 VHS with different weapons. I have seen this and its interesting but difficult to learn from.

3. Teruo Hayashi and Kenichiruo Nagatomo. 1 VHS with Bo, Kama, Tonfa and Iaido. I have not seen this.

4. George Alexander: 6 DVD`s that contains many different weapons with Kata and bunkai. I have not seen any.

5. There are also some tapes from Okinawan adventures. Among many katas the Hamahiga No Sai is shown and explained. I have not seen this.

If there is more info on Yamane-Ryu I would be very happy, I have seen the Oshiro Video with Y-R Kata and warmup.

absindt
24th July 2005, 10:24
Nice "Meeting" you here :)

Well there are also a few videos with Hokama Tetsuhiro (matayoshi kobudo)
http://www.karatesupply.com/18709.htm
http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product688.html

As for as I know there are not any other Yamane-ryu videos out there, than the ones you mentioned.

Jim Sindt
www.koryu-uchinadi.dk

E.elemental
24th July 2005, 20:17
Thanks Jim! :)

I also found this http://www.risingsunproductions.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_23&sort=5a&page=1&osCsid=1886c364ded7a0a6708a30b98a1a828e

Among others there are a tape with Richard Kim, Odo Sekichi and also the Okinawan Karate Kobudo World Tournament, sounds intersesting.. I`ll definately going to order some tapes from there.

E.elemental
31st July 2005, 10:11
The 1997 World Karate and Kobudô Tournament on Okinawa is present in two verions, one that is 90 minutes long and one that is 120 minutes long. From different companies I think. Are these presentations good? They are a bit expensive but I have thought of buying one of these, I am primerely intesested in the Kobudo part of the tapes.

tgall
3rd August 2005, 15:06
Hello E.elemental

there are two more tapes Uchinada I & II concerning the topic Yamanni-Ryu, but the main part of this tapes is about Shorin-Ryu. At this tapes Shihan Oshiro teaches some sai kata.

Thomas Gall

bujutsustudent
4th August 2005, 11:39
in terms of sophistication, I'm not sure there is a bojutsu system more sophisticated than yamanni ryu (see yamanni ryu history and description under "search") coming out of Okinawa. Shihan Oshiro put out a tape that covers very basic techniques. Yamanni ryu on a more advanced level, is much much faster, smoother, fluid, and powerful. The amount of power a high level practicioner generates in Yamanni ryu is really uncanny. Unfortunately, it isn't like a lot of other Okinawan styles in that it's not Karate with weapons. It resembles a mix of Chinese movements and perhaps Japanese swordword..possibly due to influences of both .Okinawa being a trading port at the time. However, if a karate practicioner learns Yamanni ryu he/she will find that the body mechanics translate into very strong movement in their respective empty hand systems. I have not heard of the other Kobudo practicioners mentioned. As far as Shihan McCarthy, I have not seen his Yamanni ryu movement either so I'm not qualified to comment on him. I have heard some nice things about him though. What I do know is that if you are truly interested in seeing what very high level sophisticated bojutsu looks like...do not hesitate to see either Nishime Sensei (Cincinnati) or Oshiro Sensei(San Francisco) ...I believe that these two gentlemen are unbelievable....good luck

tgall
4th August 2005, 15:20
I' m just back from the Kobudo and Karate Semniar with Shihan Oshiro in CZ, it is everytime facinating to see how he moves.
He was there with Sensei Nakata from Tokio, anbody has Infomations about him?

Doug Daulton
13th August 2005, 06:03
Patrik,

Dometrich Sensei recently finished kihon DVDs for Tekko, Nunchaku and Tonfa. I just picked them up from her a few days ago. Shoot her an email, I am sure she will be glad to hook you up.

As for other productions from Kansha Productions, we are preparing a rerelease of the Taira biography on DVD and may have a few more things in the works. As soon as plans are firmed up, I'll make an announcement here.

Best Regards,

E.elemental
13th August 2005, 21:31
Patrik,

Dometrich Sensei recently finished kihon DVDs for Tekko, Nunchaku and Tonfa. I just picked them up from her a few days ago. Shoot her an email, I am sure she will be glad to hook you up.

As for other productions from Kansha Productions, we are preparing a rerelease of the Taira biography on DVD and may have a few more things in the works. As soon as plans are firmed up, I'll make an announcement here.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the information! :)

Please get back when there are any new releases, everything is of great interest to me.

Ernest
5th September 2005, 01:04
Greetings and Salutations - I have a collection of close to 500 films. Presently, I'm in the process of transferring my 8mm and super 8mm to DVD. I started shooting films in the mid 1960's while on the Rock and manage to do some writing and interviewing about the same time. Since I was there with a pen, paper, camera and movie camera, they knew and/or believed that I was someone important... ha, they didn't know it was just me. I have Nakazato Shugoro Sensei performing chinto (copying the Chibana Dai Sensei crooked neck method), to Shimabukuro Eizo sparring while hanging upside down in a tree. I have Chibana Dai Sensei's grandsons doing kata while dressed in a suit and tie... well, leastways, they took off their coats to do a kata. I have a number of films of Uechi Kanei Sensei in the early 60s performing kata... Higa Yuchoku Dai Sensei performing kata and kihon waza... Miyahira Katsuya Dai Sensei performing kata and kihon waza etc etc... I having them put on DVD and show them at New Year training parties.

Problems have been that I have had these films in the basement and the color has broken down. Further, the film is brittle and breaks quite often if I use a cheap 8mm projector. I have even sent some of these films to Kodak in NY but they refused to copy/fix them for fear of damaging the film. I have repaired these films (having to learn the method the hard way) I don't know how many times but now, a student is helping with this endeavor... all I can do is hold back the tears as each one breaks at least once. Instead of rewinding by using the machine which also breaks the fragile film, I hand roll each one.

My belief and thoughts on videos - it is a blessing to put on film the historical record of the old masters... I know, I know, they only go back to 1965 but what the heck, it is before most people even started the practice of karatedoh.

More on my endeavors at a later date,

Ernest

TonyU
5th September 2005, 15:57
Estrada sensei,
As you copy them to DVD, don't forget us up and coming karatekas that would like to have a copy so as to keep the tradition and memories alive.
Thank you.

Shikiyanaka
5th September 2005, 21:11
Ernest-san, god bless you and Ganbatte kudasai!

[Note: some guy is becoming a little too enthusiastic]
Work with me, I'll come to America and do the dishes and everything and will live in the woods or anywhere... :) If you need Kanji and Kana for any of the films, with nice animation, please say so, I'll provide!

Here's a part of my Portfolio [the enthusiastic guy uses the opportunity to sell some fried chicken]:
like this... (http://www.quastl.de/ShuujiDai.wmv) ~35 MB
or this... (http://www.quastl.de/Sesan.wmv) ~20 MB
or this... (http://web1.38231.vs.webtropia.com/video/Ryukyu.wmv) ~250 MB
or this... (http://www.quastl.de/RyukyujinGyoretsuZu.wmv) ~47 MB

But... no, I was too enthusiastic :) I have to apologize :rolleyes:
[end enthusiastic modus]

But - now - seriously, please keep us up to date. That's among the greatest things I've heard in this topic.