PDA

View Full Version : What is this food?

nicojo
26th July 2005, 17:46
Inspired as always by discussions of sea-slug intestines and cod sperm, leading contenders for the laurel crowns of the Nippon Dai-Gastrolympics, I have decided to begin a new game here in the Food and Drink section of e-budo. Hopefully there are a few willing to play along.

Alright, here's them rules:

Post a picture, captionless, of a Japanese food; the more obscure and disgusting*, of course, the better. The rest of us will attempt a guess, supplying both the Japanese name and non-Japanese name for it, as well as any stories or tips from the guessor's experience with it. Correct guessor then posts a new picture. Pictures do not have to be one's own. Sample answer:

"Hey that is toro, a cut of tuna from the fatty belly portion. It's supposed to be buttery and delicious, but personally I threw the hell up into the Japanese Foreign Minister's lap at a state visit"---G. H. W. Bush

Or something like that.

Referees are Dave Lowry and Tri-Ring who, while they may disagree on a specific bit of info, are nevertheless most likely to be able to correct faulty information. For example: "You sir are misinformed. What you call a cut of tuna from the fat belly is of course cheek-meat from a halibut." Of course they can play too, but they are handicapped at having to wait a day after a new post before answering.

* By disgusting of course I mean no offense to anyone, anywhere, as local tastes cannot be accounted for; they sometimes can be enjoyed, but hardly ever understood. I grew up eating lamb fries, and they are extracted fairly disgustingly, cooked quite greasy, and eaten somewhat grudgingly; but they can taste "alright" and I wouldn't expect anyone outside of a hick-background to understand why on earth anyone would ever eat therm. And my Japanese friends couldn't understand my eating deer or rabbit: they don't know what they are missing. Guess I'll never make a good buddhist.

nicojo
26th July 2005, 17:48
First one, guess away:

Dave Lowry
28th July 2005, 18:29
Mr. Nicojo,
You're going to have to work harder than that. Your photo is shako, or mantis shrimp, one of nature's more vicious s.o.bs, with one claw that can hit with the same power as a .22--they've broken thick aquarium glass--and another that is an ice-pick-sharp pincer. The meat spoils quite quickly; that's why they are usually boiled, as is your specimen here. You can tell because once cooked, the meat loses its glossy lustre and turns just slightly purple. It's almost always served, as is the one here, brushed with nitsume sauce.
Allow me to turn the tables here, Mr. Nicojo, and ask you and other Japanese speakers a question in return about the shako. What is the slang term in the sushi-ya for it and why?

Cordially,

nicojo
28th July 2005, 20:04
Shako it is, Mr. Lowry, though the non-Japanese name I have heard is "Squilla." That is taken from its scientific name, Squilla Empusa. Typing either name may bring people more information and glorious pictures of the mantis-like claws: Squilla pics (http://web.fccj.org/~dbyres/mantis/squilla2.htm).

I believe the sushi-ya term you are looking for is "gasaebi" which means something like "Garage Shrimp." I suppose it is like calling something a "trash shrimp" alluding to what it eats, but I'm not sure. If I'm correct I'll post another pic...

Shako isn't very common in America from what I've seen, so I thought I'd start with something fairly accessible but rare enough abroad to make it fun. I'm surprised all the sushi lovers in Japan didn't post...

The one I ate in the picture was a female evidently, as my hosts were pleased to point out all the shako-eggs between the corpse and rice. They said it was a treat, though it made it more bitter than I liked. But as one may guess, this wasfrom a conveyor-belt sushi-ya so the quality may be better in a more expensive place. In the meantime I'll stick to regular ebi, I think.

Dave Lowry
29th July 2005, 04:26
Mr. Nicojo,
You are kinda, sorta, partially correct. The sushi-ben for shako is gareji, the English loan-word for "garage." In older times, a building used to house any kind of wheeled vehicle was called a shako; same pronunciation but different characters. And so the shako became gareji.

Cordially,

Mekugi
29th July 2005, 20:50
This thing is not really a shrimp, is it. It's as crusty as the next crustacean, but it is actually closely related to the malacostraca group. Either way they stink to high-hell when cooked. I've never developed a taste for them, in the same way I never really appreciated the subtle taste of sowbugs.
Put that on hold- I never eat shrimp either.

While we are at it, can anyone tell the difference between a prawn, a shrimp and a crayfish?

Also....there is a glowing variety http://www.nightsea.com/mantis.htm , which I am sure will be the new rage!

Dave Lowry
29th July 2005, 22:36
Mr. Mekugi,
You are correct. However, I did not say shako was a shrimp in the taxonomic sense; I merely said that's what it is called. Which brings to mind your question about lobster/crayfish/prawn/shrimp.
This is all rather sticky. I have the official list of the Food and Drug Administration on fish and shellfish, which I had to consult constantly, and it’s amazing how much latitude there is in naming seafood. There are literally, for example, more than four dozen names which may legally be applied to the fish sold as “sardine.” Additionally, local and regional and national usage also plays a role.
From a culinary point of view, there is no difference, at least in the US, between shrimp and prawn. They may be sold or advertised either way.
From a taxonomic angle, shrimp are properly Carideans. The lateral plate of the second segment on the abdomen of Carideans overlaps the plates in front and behind. Prawns, which are mostly in the Penaeidae family all have exoskeletal plates overlapping from the front to the back. (For those of you familiar with Japanese armour, they are similarly embricated.) Additionally, prawns don’t brood their eggs; shrimp do.
Australians have a sensible way of advertising; they tend to call Penaeidae prawns in the marketplace and Carideans shrimp. In American, we’re all over the place and we throw in the Italian scampi, just to make it more confusing.
We will shortly hear from one of our colleagues in Ireland who will inform us that the only real prawns are the famous Dublin prawns; all else are shrimp. There will also be those who chime in about langoustines, lobsterettes, and so on. All of this nomenclature has very little do to with biological taxonomy and much to do about culinary use. It’s kind of like the is it/ain’t it koryu. Lots of grey areas.

Lobsters are in the same family as crayfish; there are more than 65 species that legally qualify as lobster: rock lobster, spiny lobster, etc. All true spawn of New England recognise that only Homarus americanus is a lobster and all else are at best pallid imitation. But in general, lobsters are distinguished from crayfish or crawfish or crawdads or mudbugs by the fact that the former live in saltwater and the latter in fresh.

Cordially,

nicojo
29th July 2005, 22:36
Squilla and shrimp are of the same class, taxonomically, but are different orders. All are under crustacea for subphlyum, and of course I knew that off the top of my head.

I know the difference between prawn, shrimp, and crayfish, but does google-fu count or is that too easy? I mean, I grew up in Wyoming, I have no other basis for that sort of knowledge.

--Ah Mr. Lowry posted just before I did. So there you go!--

Well, unlike matters of fugu preparation or Denshi-ryu gokui-guessing, I'll say "kinda, sorta, partially correct" is close enough for me to post the next picture. Besides, I don't have many more pictures or much more knowledge after this. Act quick, because I'm going to take this off in a few days.

So, what in god's name is this? Bonus points if you can tell me how it was cooked/prepared.

Mekugi
29th July 2005, 23:42
Call me Russ!

Being one that has done a lot of "dock-shrimping" on the Pacific Coast, we always used to spin that the number of legs on the belly is what made the difference. That was fine in terms of bait. I suppose that was an old wives tale, looking back.
I found this to help clear up the fog as well...

Shrimp or Prawn?
There is often confusion regarding the difference between a shrimp and a prawn. Physically they look very similar but there is one sure way to tell them apart. In shrimps or carideans the side plate of the second segment of the abdomen overlaps the segments in front and behind. Prawns, most of which belong to the family Penaeidae of the group Dendrobranchiata, have all the abdominal side plates overlapping tile-like from the front. A more fundamental difference but one impossible to appreciate in a single specimen is that female prawns do not brood eggs but shed them into the currents where they develop independently. It would therefore make sense to call all member s of the Penaeidae "prawns" and members of the Caridean "shrimps" and this is what most Australians do. King prawns and banana prawns are names understood in this continent for penaeids sold frozen at the markets. The tiny shrimps bought in cans or froz en are imported carideans. Confusion arises when we hear Americans refer to prawns as "shrimp".
(Retrieved July 30th, 2005 from http://www.mov.vic.gov.au/crust/caribiol.html)

From a taxonomic angle, shrimp are properly Carideans. The lateral plate of the second segment on the abdomen of Carideans overlaps the plates in front and behind. Prawns, which are mostly in the Penaeidae family all have exoskeletal plates overlapping from the front to the back. (For those of you familiar with Japanese armour, they are similarly embricated.) Additionally, prawns don’t brood their eggs; shrimp do.

Dave Lowry
6th August 2005, 18:15
We live in a strange world.
I am, through various circumstances, responding to a question posted here on e-budo while I am in Gambier, Ohio, at the Kenyon College bookstore, where I happened to see a free computer with internet access and looked on this site to see if anything was afoot. And after I do, I will be purchasing a nice double-bottomed white oak basket from an Amish woman who has a stall at the Saturday farmer's market right across the street. And, since we are training, I will be wearing keikogi and hakama while I make the purchase, giving her a chance to stare for a change rather than be stared at.
At any rate, I believe your photo is of a namako, a sea slug. It's impossible, given the angle and quality of the photo to be sure, but it looks like that tasty creature.
Cordially,

Howard Thiery
6th August 2005, 21:16
This is a great thread, I hope people pick it up and keep it going. I will second Mr. Lowry's vote it is indeed a sea slug (nudibranch) a most delectable edible in a chewy bitter kind of way (particularly when as in this picture the digestive tract is fully intact). The strange part for me is that I spent years performing neural recordings from various motor central pattern generators in these critters before I knew they could be eaten (although can't anything?). We also performed recordings from caryfish and lobsters but being from New England we all knew these were more than edible.

cheers,
Howard

PS: I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that basket was purchased..what a great twist!

Tri-ring
7th August 2005, 01:34
Konichiwa everyone,

Although I can't be sure for the picture is a bit out of focus I believe it is a top shell or sazae.
Yes asians in general consume namako or sea cucumber, here is a photo(two photos the left and the middle), not to be mistake with sea slugs. Sea slugs are called umiushi or amefurashi (last photo on far right).

I hope this helps.

K.Miwa

PS I am honored to be selected as judge and will do my best to fulfill this role.

Howard Thiery
7th August 2005, 01:40
I could be wrong because as you say the picture is out of focus but the green sac on the bottom of the picture looks like nothing I would see in a sea cucumber and very much like the digestive system of a mollusk. I'm basing my guess on both laboratory and culinary experience. I am completely hopeless on naming outside the scientific domains so I will bow to those like tri-ring that can enlighten us.

cheers,
H

Tri-ring
7th August 2005, 03:20
Konichiwa everyone,

Here is a question for those that are interested in Japanese delicacy,
Although the season for this dish is in winter I think they are most delicious with warm sake.

Cheers,

K.Miwa

nicojo
10th August 2005, 18:19
Sorry to keep everyone waiting. I was out of town for a week or so and they had disconnected my internet service in the meantime. Thanks for your patience and responses.

However the correct answer has not yet been posted. It is not a very good picture; still there are some close answers.

It is a whelk, a sea-snail, or "tsubu." There is another name I learned, perhaps Himeji- or Harima-ben, but I have forgotten it. Please post other names if you know them.

These were simply roasted on a grill and doused with soya. A single chopstick (singular hashi?) was used to press past the hard, inedible foot (the circular, coin-sized part was then discarded), twist the body around and pull it out for eating. Very simple, but effective. Interestingly, my hosts did not enjoy escargot when they were in France; some land-based counterparts to the sea's bounty are not appreciated as food, evidently.

These whelks are delicacies and often eaten sashimi style. In Ueno I saw a pub-owner take three from a small aquarium and "sashimize" and serve them within two minutes. But this is a simpler way.

Here are three pictures and hopefully you can see the steps. The green part is just the innermost spiral body and it tasted the most bitter.

nicojo
10th August 2005, 18:25
Sorry again, Tri-Ring had the right answer. I didn't see "sazae" the first time and that is the word I couldn't remember. Well done. I found "tsubu" in a dictionary. Is this another word for it, or is that another thing?

Anyhow, we should try to answer his guess from the post just before mine.

Nanami
14th August 2005, 02:38
Konichiwa everyone,

Here is a question for those that are interested in Japanese delicacy,
Although the season for this dish is in winter I think they are most delicious with warm sake.

Cheers,

K.Miwa

Fugu no Shirako?
Testis of blowfish, maybe?

Tri-ring
14th August 2005, 03:24
Konichiwa Nanami-san

You're close that I can say for sure, but look at the shape more closely.
Here is a picture of Fugu no shirako.
Guess again.

K.Miwa

Nanami
14th August 2005, 04:28
Konichiwa Nanami-san

You're close that I can say for sure, but look at the shape more closely.
Here is a picture of Fugu no shirako.
Guess again.

K.Miwa

Hmmmm...how about "TARA NO SHIRAKO"?
Cod?
Best season is winter, right?

Tri-ring
14th August 2005, 04:53
Hmmmm...how about "TARA NO SHIRAKO"?
Cod?
Best season is winter, right?

Konichiwa again Nanami-san,

Yes it's "Tara no shirako" or "Cod milt".
Even to the Japanese it is an acquired taste but after you get use to it,
it becomes a craving every year.
As for "Fugu no Shirako" or Blowfish milt, well the price is out of my budget so I can't say anything for sure.

Here is question below the belt, it's not a Japanese delicacy but it is one of those "Acquired tastes".

K.Miwa

John Seavitt
15th August 2005, 00:02
It can't imagine it can be anything than baloot (sp?), I think a perhaps Filipino "delicacy". I encountered them in San Francisco - there were both chicken and duck versions.

John "now, deep-fried rat embryos, that's a food you notice"

Tri-ring
15th August 2005, 02:49
It can't imagine it can be anything than baloot (sp?), I think a perhaps Filipino "delicacy". I encountered them in San Francisco - there were both chicken and duck versions.

John "now, deep-fried rat embryos, that's a food you notice"

Konichiwa John-san

Yes it is one of those fertilizied egg-chick stage things eaten throughout the south eastern Asian region.
By the way the picture I placed is a Vietnamese version called "Hot Vit Lon".
I hear these "Delicacy" are also enjoyed in Myanmar, Cambodia and Southern China.

Any question for me?

K.Miwa

Tri-ring
18th August 2005, 15:31
Konbanwa everyone,

Now here are three interesting "Delicacies" that have more in common and yet while one loves and yet other finds it disgusting.
First one on the left, most of you probably knows, yes it is those rotten beans that people of Kanto love to eat for breakfast and yet people of Kansai love to hate and takes it as proof that people of Kanto are barbaric and yet it uses the same ingredients and a similar approach you get the one in the middle.
The one in the middle was first created in China and then imported to Japan. It's not commonly eaten but it is included as one of the dishes served in traditional imperial dinners. (It is more common in Okinawa)
Now the last picture on the right, I know many of you are familiar with.
It does not use the same ingredient but it uses the same method to mature the taste as the one in the middle.
Take a bite, it won't kill you.

K.Miwa

Dave Lowry
18th August 2005, 16:14
The first photo is too easy. Hanashiru. The bane of the Kansai. Looks like the kotsubu variety of natto, made with smaller beans. I prefer the hikiwake version, with the beans chopped; a big dollop of it over rice with some finely-chopped negi and just a couple of drops of sesame seed oil. Sunday night dinner.

The middle photo is a more worthy challenge. I'm going out on a culinary limb here, but I'm guessing this is the famous tofuyo. Along with rafute, it is the centrepiece of kyutei-ryori, Okinawan palace cuisine. It's made from Okinawa's specialty, shima-tofu, which is decidedly more dense than the naichi version. Originated, as you said, in China. This version looks to be the classic; the colour comes from beni-koji, a fermenting agent of the sort used in making sake. I once heard tofuyo aptly described as "Okinawan Camembert," to which I'm assuming your third photo alludes.
Tofuyo is incredibly, incredibly pungent. If your sinuses need clearing, this is the stuff that will do it. It is eaten, by the way, only in small, dice-sized blocks.
Or have I guessed incorrectly?

Cordially,

Tri-ring
19th August 2005, 14:32
Konbanwa Lowry-san

Gomeito!!
You've got it on the mark,, have you found the relationship?

First of all Natto are fermented SOY beans, next Tofuyo are fermented tofu made from SOY bean curd, the fermentation process is;

1. Remove excess water from tofu
2. Wipe the tofu with strong spirit called Shochu then apply Aka-koji the fermentation agent.
3. Then place the tofu in a muro or humid room to mature.

This is the very same process to create the third item, wash-type cheese.

I can say one thing, the one who eats is the one that decides it's acceptance.
Here are two other "Delicacies" that needs a strong nose to appreciate it's flavor.

K.Miwa

Dave Lowry
19th August 2005, 20:24
Fairly easy, these.
The first is sanma if I’m not mistaken, a very oily, delectable fish that tastes a little like saba or mackerel. Quite strong and "fishy." You always know when someone in the neighbourhood is cooking it since it sends up big columns of smoke as it’s grilled. Best when it’s on a shichirin, a kind of outdoor cooker that we don’t have in the US but which I have always thought I could make a lot of money with by marketing them here.
The second looks very much like funa-zushi. A real treat from Lake Biwa. Crucian carp is the fish, stuffed with rice, then the whole thing’s allowed to ferment. Since weight is used on top of the fish, technically this is nare-zushi. It’s probably the oldest dish that can be traced back to the modern concept of sushi. Ideally, it needs to ferment for several years, but sometimes now the fermentation is sadly, only several months. “Pungent” would be a good word to describe it. There are several little towns in Shiga Prefecture around the shore of Lake Biwa where funa-zushi is a specialty of local restaurants.
The rice inside the fish, by the way, is changed from time to time during the fermentation process—it turns into a creamy paste—and it isn’t eaten with the fish, which is why funa-zushi isn’t truly sushi as we define it today.
Or did I guess incorrectly?

Cordially,

Tri-ring
20th August 2005, 02:46
Fairly easy, these.
The first is sanma if I’m not mistaken, a very oily, delectable fish that tastes a little like saba or mackerel. Quite strong and "fishy." You always know when someone in the neighbourhood is cooking it since it sends up big columns of smoke as it’s grilled. Best when it’s on a shichirin, a kind of outdoor cooker that we don’t have in the US but which I have always thought I could make a lot of money with by marketing them here.
The second looks very much like funa-zushi. A real treat from Lake Biwa. Crucian carp is the fish, stuffed with rice, then the whole thing’s allowed to ferment. Since weight is used on top of the fish, technically this is nare-zushi. It’s probably the oldest dish that can be traced back to the modern concept of sushi. Ideally, it needs to ferment for several years, but sometimes now the fermentation is sadly, only several months. “Pungent” would be a good word to describe it. There are several little towns in Shiga Prefecture around the shore of Lake Biwa where funa-zushi is a specialty of local restaurants.
The rice inside the fish, by the way, is changed from time to time during the fermentation process—it turns into a creamy paste—and it isn’t eaten with the fish, which is why funa-zushi isn’t truly sushi as we define it today.
Or did I guess incorrectly?

Cordially,

Konbanwa everyone,

As everyone may already know Lowry-san is a gourmet in Japanese "Delicacies", if you can tell Funa-zushi with a glance you can bet on it, but he missed the first. Not his fault though, since he can't actually smell the pungent aroma the grilled fish is creating.
This certain semi-dried fish emits odor similar to a sock worn for two weeks straight without taking it off with the same shoe.
It is cured in a special solution made out of salt water and gut from the fish, has been used for the last hundred years, and I don't mean the recipe. The solution itself is literally a hundred years old only adding a bit as it evaporates. I bet a hazmat team would rush in and confiscate this baby if they found it in the US.
Care to take a shot at it?
The fish used for this dish is Tobiuo or flyingfish.

K.Miwa

Baio
28th August 2005, 05:56
is it kusaya?

Tri-ring
30th August 2005, 13:43
is it kusaya?

Konbanwa Baio-san

You are correct, probably one of the most smelliest dish on this planet. The reason why is because not only is it fermented but also the "AROMA" is activated by applying heat through grilling the fish.
Some "Izakaya" or local pub have this dish on their menu, when this dish is ordered everyone on the premises knows because the fume will intoxicate any and everybody at the place.
Hope this helps.

K.Miwa

Mekugi
31st August 2005, 02:49
Muhahahahaa...take a guess if you dare. The two pictures below are two different "foods."

nicojo
31st August 2005, 06:37
Mmmm. Teriyaki polyp'd colon on the left, Cajun-blackened grubs on the right.

I have no idea, actually.

Mekugi
31st August 2005, 13:58
Almost! The Cajun thing is not as Japanese as one would be led to believe.
;)

Mmmm. Teriyaki polyp'd colon on the left, Cajun-blackened grubs on the right.

I have no idea, actually.

Baio
31st August 2005, 16:56
when i looked at it i thought scorpian tails or something like that but still had no clue

Mekugi
31st August 2005, 19:36
Sorry, no cigar.
I'll post a better picture of the food on the right when everyone has their shot at it.

These are truly delicacies here in Japan and you have to go to the right places to get ithem. There are a lot of townships or cities with their own special brand of foods- these in particular are very famous for being somewhat unusual.
-Russ

when i looked at it i thought scorpian tails or something like that but still had no clue

Baio
1st September 2005, 04:18
i'm gonna stick with the bug thing and go with inago for the one on the right, grasshoppers?

Mekugi
1st September 2005, 05:07
BING BONG!

Correct!

i'm gonna stick with the bug thing and go with inago for the one on the right, grasshoppers?

Baio
1st September 2005, 07:35
i've never actually seen it before but since the right is inago is the left hachi no ko?

Mekugi
1st September 2005, 18:52
Yummy! Wasp-larva!

Nope.

Think of things in Freshwater.

(See picture. It's a dead givaway).

i've never actually seen it before but since the right is inago is the left hachi no ko?

John Seavitt
18th November 2005, 22:57
Well, it is neither fermented or insect (nor, I suppose, such a great photo), but it is a food.

John

Mekugi
20th November 2005, 04:10
Well, it is neither fermented or insect (nor, I suppose, such a great photo), but it is a food.

John

Manju? Looks like Manju, but he slender white things are throwing me off.

Tri-ring
20th November 2005, 04:35

John

Konichiwa

Well there are numerous ways to preseve food and this is one of them.
The Italians have a similar product.
The Chinese creates a great steamed dish using these items.
Does this help?

K.Miwa

John Seavitt
22nd November 2005, 18:45
Looks like Manju, but the slender white things are throwing me off.

Close enough. I'd call it kuzu-mochi, since it isn't filled, but I have sometimes heard the filled ones referred to as kuzu-mochi manju. It's kuzu (arrowroot) and a very dark brown sugar (kurosato) cooked in a pot and then molded and steamed until translucent. It has slices of lily bulb (yurine) in it. It is a tea sweet and historically has the poetic name 'hatsugari' (first goose); the yurine are meant to remind one of geese in the fall sky. There are also versions of this made with yokan or wafer cookie (geese are branded on the wafer).

John

Light Samurai
22nd November 2005, 18:51
Sorry to take this somewhat off-topic, but are there any "normal" foods in Japan?

I can eat Ramen, any kind of noodles - and COOKED seafood, such a sfish and vegetables - but not raw.

Peace.

kenkyusha
26th November 2005, 12:35
As a young person, it bears mention that what is- to you- acceptable may be objectionable to other cultures. This thread is dedicated to (in some cases rather exotic) varieties of food from Japan... for someone looking @regional American cuisine, there'd be more than a few items of concern.

If you are genuinely interested in investigating Nihonryori, here are some sites (not that I'd necessarily endorse them all, but anyway):
Yahoo search for Japanese cuisine (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Nihon+ryori&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8). Happy hunting.

Be well,
Jigme

Margaret Lo
28th November 2005, 17:56
As a young person, it bears mention that what is- to you- acceptable may be objectionable to other cultures. This thread is dedicated to (in some cases rather exotic) varieties of food from Japan... for someone looking @regional American cuisine, there'd be more than a few items of concern.

If you are genuinely interested in investigating Nihonryori, here are some sites (not that I'd necessarily endorse them all, but anyway):
Yahoo search for Japanese cuisine (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Nihon+ryori&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8). Happy hunting.

Be well,
Jigme

What scared me as a child new to the US was that HORRIBLE THING: CHEESE! Yuck. :)

M

kenkyusha
29th November 2005, 18:07
What scared me as a child new to the US was that HORRIBLE THING: CHEESE! Yuck. :)

M
Hi Margaret,

Ya know, having been raised by dirty-Eastern-religion-practicin'-vegetarian-hippiestm, we would see meat (and actual chocolate... we only had carob... shudder), but didn't eat it until I was about 5. The first time I put together that the animals walking around on farms were the same thing that people ate, it was horrifying... luckily, I got over it :D

Be well,
Jigme

Brian Owens
30th November 2005, 05:28
Sorry to take this somewhat off-topic, but are there any "normal" foods in Japan?

I can eat Ramen, any kind of noodles - and COOKED seafood, such a sfish and vegetables - but not raw.
Eating raw fish takes, for many, a paradigm shift in their outlook. Many fish have a very mild, even buttery taste when raw. Others, even when cooked, can be "fishy." I started eating "ethnic" cuisine when very young, so never developed many food phobias. (I do have a problem with bugs, and with whole fish served guts and all.)

Think of it this way; we eat fresh apples and baked apples, raw carrots and steamed carrots, raw milk and boiled milk (puddings, ice cream, etc.) -- so why not raw and cooked fish?

But for the less adventurous, there are many Japanese foods that are easy for most Americans and Europeans to enjoy.

You already mentioned ramen and "any kind of noodles." I'm sure you'd enjoy various kinds of udon (noodle soups with different ingredients).

Yakisoba is a noodle dish that can be made with beef, chicken, pork, or vegetarian.

I really enjoy chicken karaage, which is sort of like KFC Chicken nuggets, only -- IMNSHO -- much better.

Teriyaki can be found all over the place in the USA, from fast food teriyaki chains like Toshi's to cozy little mom and pop Japanese restaurants. (Many of them in the Seattle area are actually run by Koreans, which I like because I can get a side of kimchee.) Beef, chicken, pork, or a combination; skewered or sliced; with rice or with noodles; lots of choices there.

Sukiyaki (Japanese version of beef stew) is one of the most well known Japanese foods over here. Originally a peasant food, it is now popular with all classes even back "home."

Shabu shabu is thinly sliced beef that is cooked in either boiling water or in broth. The Japanese version of fondue, it's fun to have a few friends over and cook it at the table. You can add many different kinds of vegetables to the liquid as accompaniments.

Batayaki means "Butter fried," and I like shrimp batayaki as a side to...

Teppanyaki -- quick-seared meats, shrimp, lobster, vegetables, etc. cooked -- usually -- in a showy fashion. Benihana is one American chain, and there are many others, both chains and single restaurants.

The most famous beef dish, and a specialty of many teppanyaki, is Kobe Beef. Saying it's just "Japanese steak" doesn't do it justice.

The list goes on and on. Lot's of foods to suit the appetite of even the most finicky palate.

Study up and eat well!

Brian Owens
30th November 2005, 05:38
To further my above post, many Americans think sushi is raw fish. It's not! Raw fish is sashimi.

While many kinds of sushi have raw fish, others have cooked fish, vegetables, even an egg omlette on top.

Just as not all sandwiches are peanut butter & jelly, same with sushi; what all sushi has in common is rice, just as what all sandwiches have in common is bread.

Margaret Lo
30th November 2005, 18:16
Hi Margaret,

Ya know, having been raised by dirty-Eastern-religion-practicin'-vegetarian-hippiestm, we would see meat (and actual chocolate... we only had carob... shudder), but didn't eat it until I was about 5. The first time I put together that the animals walking around on farms were the same thing that people ate, it was horrifying... luckily, I got over it :D

Be well,
Jigme

So sorry for the childhood trauma. Death by tofu is horrifying. Too bad your parents didn't practice Tibetan Buddhism..meat allowed. :D

M

kenkyusha
30th November 2005, 19:11
is that they are Tibetan Buddhists. Danged peacenik-animal-rights-supporting-'Diet for a Small Planet'-reading hippies!

I do still quite like tofu, tempeh and all vegetables (except for okra... jibbers), and tend to use meat as a condiment rather than featuring great slabs of it, but as my son (then 5-year-old) son said, when confronted by tofu pups, "I want meat; M-E-T!!"

Be well,
Jigme

Margaret Lo
1st December 2005, 17:43
is that they are Tibetan Buddhists. Danged peacenik-animal-rights-supporting-'Diet for a Small Planet'-reading hippies!

I do still quite like tofu, tempeh and all vegetables (except for okra... jibbers), and tend to use meat as a condiment rather than featuring great slabs of it, but as my son (then 5-year-old) son said, when confronted by tofu pups, "I want meat; M-E-T!!"

Be well,
Jigme

Did your peacenik parents know that during the reign of the Mongols in China in the 13th century, Tibetan Buddhists were associated with human sacrifice and other such blood rites? Buddhism was the state religion of the Mongols, the Golden Hoarde etc... Ok so cannibalism is out! :D

Hope you gave that boy some M-E-T!

M