PDA

View Full Version : about the origin of the word "Kokyuryoku"

thomas54
27th July 2005, 15:18
Hi, all

This my first post, :)

Since I am a Japanese and posting from Japan, please don't be embarrased by my english abilities.

They are several "Key words" in aikido. For example "Kokyuryoku", "Aiki" and since I am a practitioner in Yoshinkan Aikido, I think also "Hiriki".

Does anyone has any clues when these words were introduced to aikido?
I know that there are many discussions about the word "Aiki" recently, I think this would sheld some important lights about the relation between DTR and aikido but I am interested when O-sensei began to use the word "Kokyuryoku" in his career.

Having some experience in DTR, I thought always that this word is somewhat original to O-sensei.

I had always the impression(maybe I am wrong) that Shioda sensei maybe felt some difficulties with this word, as he tried to explain aspects of "Kokyuryoku" in other words, like "chushinryoku(central power)" and so on.

"Hiriki(elbow power)" is also an interesting word, it seems to be used only in yoshinkan inside the aikido world but I've read that also Sagawa Yukiyoshi sensei from the DTR also used this word.

I coudn't find any determining source in Japanese.
Any comment and insights are welcome.

Sorry if this is discussed already on this forum.

P Goldsbury
27th July 2005, 15:56
Hello,

Welcome to E-Budo.

I am one of the moderators of this forum. and when you joined you agreed to follow the rules, one of which is that you give your full name whenever you post.

You can easily do this by adding your name to your signature, which occurs at the bottom of each post.

If you do not know how, send me a privater mail and I will explain (Japanese is also OK)

よろしくお願い致します。

thomas54
27th July 2005, 16:03
Sumimasen Goldsbury Sensei

Below is my signiature.

こちらこそよろしくお願いいたします。

Tomoo Yawata
Yoshinkan

P Goldsbury
29th July 2005, 01:05
Hi, all

This my first post, :)

Since I am a Japanese and posting from Japan, please don't be embarrased by my english abilities.

They are several "Key words" in aikido. For example "Kokyuryoku", "Aiki" and since I am a practitioner in Yoshinkan Aikido, I think also "Hiriki".

Does anyone has any clues when these words were introduced to aikido?
I know that there are many discussions about the word "Aiki" recently, I think this would sheld some important lights about the relation between DTR and aikido but I am interested when O-sensei began to use the word "Kokyuryoku" in his career.

Having some experience in DTR, I thought always that this word is somewhat original to O-sensei.

I had always the impression(maybe I am wrong) that Shioda sensei maybe felt some difficulties with this word, as he tried to explain aspects of "Kokyuryoku" in other words, like "chushinryoku(central power)" and so on.

"Hiriki(elbow power)" is also an interesting word, it seems to be used only in yoshinkan inside the aikido world but I've read that also Sagawa Yukiyoshi sensei from the DTR also used this word.

I coudn't find any determining source in Japanese.
Any comment and insights are welcome.

Sorry if this is discussed already on this forum.

Yawata-San,

Since you are Japanese and living in Japan, I suggest you start by reading two collections of Morihei Ueshiba's discourses. One is called Takemusu Aiki 武産合気 and is edited by Hideo Takahashi 高橋英雄, the other is called Aiki Shinzui合気神髄. Both are available in the Sports section of large bookshops like Junkudo.

Best regards,