PDA

View Full Version : Sword Arts In Central VA?

Soypequeno
5th August 2005, 19:18
Are there any kenjutsu or iaido dojos in central VA?

socho
5th August 2005, 22:46
What do you consider central? Some aikido and stuff in Richmond, some MSR in Elkton, by Charlottesville. Some Mugai Ryu in Stafford and Northern VA, a Nakamura group in Fredercksburg but they're full up. Was a good MJER group in Woodbridge, don't know their status.

Dave

Rob Alvelais
7th August 2005, 03:30
There's an Iai dojo in Bristol. Howard Smith teaches Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu

Rob

Soypequeno
8th August 2005, 03:50
Sorry it took me a while to respond. By central VA I mean Richmond, and around that area. What are the MSR and MJER? Also, what is the differnce in batto-do and other sword arts?

socho
9th August 2005, 02:44
MJER and MSR are the two most common Japanese sword styles. You might look here (http://www.koryubooks.com/guide/ryuguide.html) for info on the various styles, then narrow your search a bit. Most of us end up training in whatever is available. Some are lucky enough to have choices. Looks like lots of aikido in Richmond, here (http://www.google.com/search?q=richmond+virginia+aikido).

Good luck
Dave

Soypequeno
9th August 2005, 06:33
Thank you for all your replies. Im trying to find a good style that I like, but what really is the difference in kenjutsu and iaijutsu? Iaijutsu katas end with noto(I think thats right), and kenjutsu teaches you to actually unsheathe and then fight?

Alex Dale
9th August 2005, 18:56
Kenjutsu kata are typically done with the blade already drawn... or if not drawn, some sort of ritualized set of movements to draw and bow to your adversary. "Kenjutsu kata" also usually implies kumitachi: paired forms. Iaijutsu ryu are generally solo excercises (though have some kumitachi sets if my memory serves me correctly), and start with the blade still in the saya. The blade is drawn, the "adversary" is cut down, and the blade is resheathed.

I'm sure I said something wrong, so take it with a grain of salt, but that's just my experience.

Hope that helps!

Soypequeno
9th August 2005, 19:41
That being said, I would preferbly like to take kenjutsu, but haven't any luck finding anything in VA. I have heard that most people take a few years of iaijutsu then take kenjutsu or some people take one art then take another. I might do that, I don't know. Only time will tell. I still have another year until I'm sixteen and even then I'm not positively guarenteed a spot in the dojo. So, I guess until then I can learn as much as I can and get prepared. Thanks for all your replies, they have helped me much!!! :)

Alex Dale
9th August 2005, 19:43
Many (most?) kenjutsu ryuha include some sort of solo sword-drawing into their curriculum.

FWIW.

*EDIT* I was your age when I started training in Shinkage-ryu. It would seem to me that if you present yourself well most dojo will accept you regardless of being a bit younger.

Soypequeno
9th August 2005, 20:34
Thank you for informing me in on that. Most of the dojos I have looked at have 16 as a minumum age requirement. I'm sure your right about me starting maybe a little younger. The thing that is holding me back from going now is....lol...a learners. My mom isn't gonna drive me all the way there. She said she would ride though. Hopefully it will all work out soon enough. Thanks for all your posts.

Alex Dale
9th August 2005, 20:51
Mr. Little,

I'm sure there have been countless threads similar to this of people starting with the JSA. ANd let me tell you, patience is something that can't be stressed enough. Soon you'll be sixteen and you'll be able to drive. So all in time.

Good luck!

Soypequeno
9th August 2005, 20:51
I found this one place that is affiliated with Chicago Budokai. It is called Great Falls Budokan, in Sterling, VA. Would this be a good dojo to go to? If anyone has any info. on this dojo please reply or PM me.

Alex Dale
9th August 2005, 22:31
I think there was someone requesting info about them sometime ago... try doing a forums search.

From what I can tell though, they seem reputable.

Good luck!