PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Sumo fans on this site? Let's get the ball rollin'!

6 Pack
8th August 2005, 05:04
It is pretty bad when there has not been a post in the past month!

I am no Sumo buff, but I have tried to learn about the art in a couple books. One was a general book about the history, tradition, fighting moves, major players, sumo lifestyle, ranking, and all of the basics.

The other book was of SUmo giants. The most interesting of the sumotori I read was "the Wolf".

He was a muscular 275 pounds who hit the weights and was built like a strong man as oppose to a fat guy.

he was also one of the greatest of all time (the greatest of his day no doubt). He truely changed my perception of sumotori, and I think if more in the western world were firmiliar with him would appreciate sumo greater if they knew more about him. He was no body beautiful, but he most muscular and powerfull and explosive, and as dominate an athlete as any one else in his sport at the the time. He would have made a great ambassador for sumo today (if only Sumo and Japan was more open to the world with its culture).

Other fighters I learned about was "the Dump Truck" and Akebono. Two VERY large fighters who used their size.

ANy stories of your sumo heroes? Personal favorites?

Troll Basher
8th August 2005, 09:58
It is pretty bad when there has not been a post in the past month!

I am no Sumo buff, but I have tried to learn about the art in a couple books. One was a general book about the history, tradition, fighting moves, major players, sumo lifestyle, ranking, and all of the basics.

The other book was of SUmo giants. The most interesting of the sumotori I read was "the Wolf".

He was a muscular 275 pounds who hit the weights and was built like a strong man as oppose to a fat guy.

he was also one of the greatest of all time (the greatest of his day no doubt). He truely changed my perception of sumotori, and I think if more in the western world were firmiliar with him would appreciate sumo greater if they knew more about him. He was no body beautiful, but he most muscular and powerfull and explosive, and as dominate an athlete as any one else in his sport at the the time. He would have made a great ambassador for sumo today (if only Sumo and Japan was more open to the world with its culture).

Other fighters I learned about was "the Dump Truck" and Akebono. Two VERY large fighters who used their size.

ANy stories of your sumo heroes? Personal favorites?

Not to burst your bubble but Sumo has lost a lot of its luster over the last few years.
Chiyonofuji retired and shortly after that there was the Hawaiian invasion where many top slots were held by “Akebonehead” and Musashimaru.
Now we are in the Mongolian invasion and the Taka brothers are having some childish squabble over their Dad’s estate. In fact Takahanada looks as if he has just been released from a concentration camp he is so thin.
I was a big fan of Sumo years ago but the more I found out what “Otokogeisha” (geisha boys) they really are and all the crap and scandals that happen I lost interest.

Todd Lambert
8th August 2005, 14:58
...the more I found out what “Otokogeisha” (geisha boys) they really are and all the crap and scandals that happen I lost interest.
Hi Robert,

Would you elaborate a little when you have a moment?

Much appreciated,

Todd

Troll Basher
8th August 2005, 15:06
Hi Robert,

Would you elaborate a little when you have a moment?

Much appreciated,

Todd

Several years ago a couple of older retired ex-sumo wrestlers came out and said many of the bouts are fixed right before the match. Both died of pneumonia in that same hospital. Kinda strange. They both described how deals were cut for big money in the bathroom right before a match in order for one wrestler to get his majority of wins for that tournament and avoid demotion to lower ranks.
Odd how Wakahanada was a mediocre wrestler at best but managed to squeak up to Grand Champion right before he retired so he and his brother could both retire as Yokozuna.
Odd how Konishiki never made yokozuna even though he had more wins than other wrestlers that did make yokozuna. Must have been his comment about racism in sumo that killed his shot.

Todd Lambert
8th August 2005, 15:45
Several years ago a couple of older retired ex-sumo wrestlers came out and said many of the bouts are fixed right before the match. Both died of pneumonia in that same hospital. Kinda strange. They both described how deals were cut for big money in the bathroom right before a match in order for one wrestler to get his majority of wins for that tournament and avoid demotion to lower ranks.
Yeah, heard that one, too. Time Asia (http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/2000/0228/japan.sumo.html)

Odd how Wakahanada was a mediocre wrestler at best but managed to squeak up to Grand Champion right before he retired so he and his brother could both retire as Yokozuna.
I thought he was good at the ozeki rank, but got very lucky with the yokozuna promotion, as the other yokozuna were all out with injuries while he racked up the two consecutive championship victories necessary. His record after promotion quickly showed he was not quite big or strong enough to maintain dominance.

Odd how Konishiki never made yokozuna even though he had more wins than other wrestlers that did make yokozuna. Must have been his comment about racism in sumo that killed his shot.
The stats show a different story...SF post (http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6775&hl=historical)

MikeWilliams
8th August 2005, 17:55
Not to burst your bubble but Sumo has lost a lot of its luster over the last few years.
Chiyonofuji retired and shortly after that there was the Hawaiian invasion where many top slots were held by “Akebonehead” and Musashimaru.
Now we are in the Mongolian invasion and the Taka brothers are having some childish squabble over their Dad’s estate. In fact Takahanada looks as if he has just been released from a concentration camp he is so thin.
I was a big fan of Sumo years ago but the more I found out what “Otokogeisha” (geisha boys) they really are and all the crap and scandals that happen I lost interest.

My feelings exactly. I stopped actively following sumo back in the 90s during the Hawaiian invasion. I still enjoy watching the occasional bout when it comes on telly, but I'm not up on current wrestlers and rankings. All I get to hear about are the scandals and bickering...

Sumo is in a lot better way than K1, though...

6 Pack
9th August 2005, 01:59
I heard about the scandal of fight fixing in Sumo, but not that the two sumotori that came forward died suspiciously.

It does take away from the sport, but exactly what percentage of the bouts did they estimate were fixed?

Cause fight fixing takes place in pretty much every combat sport to a certain degree. But it is surprising that a sport built on honor and nobility would be so currupted to have fight fixing at the highest levels.

I live in Canada, and sumo on TV is pretty much non-existant. Actually I have not seen it on TV in YEARS. I only read about it, or see some footage on the internet.

6 Pack
9th August 2005, 02:43
[QUOTE=6 Pack]

It does take away from the sport, but exactly what percentage of the bouts did they estimate were fixed?

QUOTE]

Sorry, I just read that link and see it was 80% of the bouts that was fixed!!!

That is crazy! What a sorry sport! How can you watch a sport knowing 80% of the bouts are fake? I can see now how you guys feel differently about Sumo now.

I was however glad to hear that the ones who went for Yokozuna did so by no accepting fight fixing and just went out to win all of their bouts. It was the guys that stayed contenders that did the fight fixing to keep their positions. So at least the greats can keep their honor.

Todd Lambert
9th August 2005, 05:44
That is crazy! What a sorry sport! How can you watch a sport knowing 80% of the bouts are fake? I can see now how you guys feel differently about Sumo now.

It's that guy's (the former Itai-zeki) word vs. the Nihon Sumo Kyokai. Might not be as bad as the former rikishi said, but something's definitely wrong when so many fans, both local and international, are walking away...

I was however glad to hear that the ones who went for Yokozuna did so by no accepting fight fixing and just went out to win all of their bouts. It was the guys that stayed contenders that did the fight fixing to keep their positions. So at least the greats can keep their honor.

Not necessarily. The great yokozuna Chiyonofuji (now Kokonoe oyakata) has been dogged by allegations of bout fixing for a long time. Some say that's why he was encouraged to retire when he got near Taiho's all-time high of 32 yusho.

6 Pack
10th August 2005, 00:53
It's that guy's (the former Itai-zeki) word vs. the Nihon Sumo Kyokai. Might not be as bad as the former rikishi said, but something's definitely wrong when so many fans, both local and international, are walking away...

Not necessarily. The great yokozuna Chiyonofuji (now Kokonoe oyakata) has been dogged by allegations of bout fixing for a long time. Some say that's why he was encouraged to retire when he got near Taiho's all-time high of 32 yusho.

Not happy to hear about Chiyonofuji. My favorite wrestler. Rumors like that can ruin a legends reputation. I would love to have some proof one way or the other. I would hate for a legend to be tarnished by false allegations because there was curruption around him but not concerning him. Or on the flip side if he is a false legend.