PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Sumotori Of All-time?

6 Pack
9th August 2005, 02:32
WHo was the Greatest?

Here are some of the candidates I figure (though you may think it is some one I left out). I have put some of their records from a book of mine that was published in 1998. Some records since may have been broken...

TAIHO: was the second youngest Yokozuna. Holds the record for most consecutive Championships (6), and most tournament Championships (32). Is third in all time Makuuchi division wins (746), and second with most wins in year (81). Is third all-time for most consecutive wins in Makuuchi division.

CHIYONOFUJI: Holds the record for the most Makuuchi division wins (807) and most career wins (1,045). Is second for most consecutive Championships (5), second all-time for most tournament Championships (31), and third all time for most wins in one year (80) which is only 2 wins shy of the record. "The Wolf" is also second all-time for consecutive wins in makuuchi division (53).

KITANOUMI: The youngest Yokozuna of all time. He holds the record for the most wins in one year (82), second all time for most wins in Makuuchi division (804), tied for second all-time for most consecutive Championships (5), and third all-time for most tournament Championships (24). He is also fifth all-time for most consecutive wins in the Makuuchi division.

Akebono: The largest Yokozuna of all time at 6'8" and 500 pounds. Was also the first foreign Yokozuna. Very dominate in his prime.

Raiden: old time Ozeki who fought sparingly over his 21 year career, but had an eye opening 96.2 winning %!!!! May be if he fought more often he could have progressed to Yokozuna. He also had a cool fighting name :) .

Futabayama: Holds record for most consecutive wins in Makuuchi division. Is tied for second all-time for most consecutive Championships. Sixth all-time for most tournament Championships.

I do not have much info on wrestlers of today. Some of the all-time standings may have changed slightly since the late 90s, but you get the picture. So, in your opinions who is the Greatest of all time?