PDA

View Full Version : Making beer in Japan

Charles Hill
12th August 2005, 03:49
Hi,

My wife buys the beer and has suggested recently I need to start making my own due to the high cost. Does anyone here live in Japan and make their own beer? I need to know if I can buy the equipment and supplies in country or not.

thanks
Charles Hill

Todd Lambert
12th August 2005, 05:01
AFAIK it's legal to brew your own beer in Japan (but not sake a.k.a. nihonshu). I haven't looked into it, but heard from various people that it can be done, and the equipment & supplies are available somewhere. Those I've spoken to that have actually tried it claimed the supplies are too expensive in Japan, and they eventually stopped brewing themselves.

You could switch to happoshu (low malt beer), which is much cheaper (lower tax), though I find the stuff inferior to the real thing...

Troll Basher
12th August 2005, 05:31
1) AFAIK it's legal to brew your own beer in Japan (but not sake a.k.a. nihonshu). I haven't looked into it, but heard from various people that it can be done, and the equipment & supplies are available somewhere. Those I've spoken to that have actually tried it claimed the supplies are too expensive in Japan, and they eventually stopped brewing themselves.

You could switch to happoshu (low malt beer), which is much cheaper (lower tax), though I find the stuff inferior to the real thing...

1) Actually it’s not. It’s only illegal to manufacture beer for re-sale, not for personal consumption. I checked. I have also made my own. I bought the kit to make it a Seibu Dept.

Mekugi
12th August 2005, 05:39
In addition to this, you can only make a certain amount a year. I'm not sure how much that is, because I don't brew my own (I tried it in the USA and made rubbing alchohol) - but I doubt you could consume that much a year. Unless you are like Robert, that is :)

1) Actually it’s not. It’s only illegal to manufacture beer for re-sale, not for personal consumption. I checked. I have also made my own. I bought the kit to make it a Seibu Dept.

Todd Lambert
12th August 2005, 06:48
AFAIK it's legal to brew your own beer in Japan.

I think we said the same thing...

Me: As Far As I Know (AFAIK) it's legal to brew your own beer...
You: It's only illegal to manufacture beer for re-sale...

同じだろうな :)

Troll Basher
12th August 2005, 09:21
I think we said the same thing...

Me: As Far As I Know (AFAIK) it's legal to brew your own beer...
You: It's only illegal to manufacture beer for re-sale...

同じだろうな :)

Sorry about that. :beer:

Todd Lambert
12th August 2005, 10:44
Sorry about that. :beer:

No worries! I figured maybe you had a liquid lunch after you were inspired by the topic...I know I sure wanted to! But, as usual, work is the curse of the drinking class :p

Charles Hill
12th August 2005, 14:10
I bought the kit to make it a Seibu Dept.

This is the kind of info I was looking for, thanks. I can't stand happoshu. It seems to make me feel sick in larger quantities as opposed to "real" beer. I'll check out my local Seibu.

Charles Hill