PDA

View Full Version : Should one start off with koryu or seitei first

ZhuGeLiang
15th August 2005, 02:48
Hi all,

my name is geliang and curretly resides in Australia.

As i'm new to SMR jo and having the chance to go to Japan for industrial training, therefore would like to ask your professional/personal opinion on the above ?

Should one start off with koryu (assuming that all proper introductions are in order) or Seitei (which requires no intro necessary) if one have the opportunity to choose in Tokyo ?

If either one, please state the reasons (whether personal opinion or professional). How would that be beneficial ?

Am not starting a debate here nor want 'proponents banging their heads'.
This questions could also touches on other aspects org. structure/hierarchy, expected culture/customary understanding etc. ?

Does the 'lived in disciple' exist in the SMR koryu arts today ?

if my question is silly, please let me know - am newbie here.

warmest regards,

geliang

Daniel Lee
15th August 2005, 03:14
Hello Geliang,

There are healthy numbers of Shinto Muso-ryu groups in Tokyo and many other cities in Japan, as well as in Australia at present. In fact, there are people with more than 20 years experience in Shinto Muso-ryu training in Australia!

If you are living in Australia long-term, why don't you visit the jodo group near you (you can see contact information at this Jojutsu site (http://www.jojutsu.com) and specifically here (http://www.jojutsu.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=54&op=page&SubMenu=)), observe some training, then join and learn the basics before going to Japan? Then you can build some foundations for your study, develop local contacts for training when you return to Australia, and also be introduced to a good dojo in Japan.

Most koryu teachers in Japan today offer training several times a week, but virtually none have "live in" arrangements. If you're going to be doing industrial training you'll be quite busy with study, so this is probably best too!

I'd suggest you contact the Shinto Muso-ryu people in Australia as a first step. They have a lot of experience in their art, and are a wonderful bunch of people too.

Good luck!

ZhuGeLiang
16th August 2005, 04:24
Hi Daniel Lee,

as i'm currently in Perth and having checked the website, it seems that the experience people are all in Sydney/Melbourne area (correct me if i'm wrong).

Is the person that you are referring to having 20 years experience being mr. paul maloney (sydney) ? i do know that some organization other than SMR exist in Australia teaching SMR Jodo (don't know which flair) for example the Aikikai Aikido Australia Queensland branch (came across on website).

BTW, is this JO forum always this silent ?? Is my question really silly - still awaiting answer though :cool:

warmest regards,

geliang

Daniel Lee
16th August 2005, 04:56
Hello Geliang,

There is a senior Shindo Muso-ryu practitioner in Perth with over 15 years experience for whom I have a lot of respect. If SMR is what you are looking for, please send me an email regarding contacting him.

Sincerely,

ZhuGeLiang
16th August 2005, 15:01
Hi Daniel,

had PM you. So please let me know.

Somehow, no one else seems to be able to answer my enquirries : i must be stupid to ask :rolleyes:

warmest regards,

geliang

Eric Montes
16th August 2005, 17:44
Should one start off with koryu (assuming that all proper introductions are in order) or Seitei (which requires no intro necessary) if one have the opportunity to choose in Tokyo ?
Please remember it is also your Sensei's choice as to whether you will start training at all. Most dojos, even if they practice koryu, also practice seitei, and may require dan rank before allowing koryu practice.

Introductions are ALWAYS useful and often necessary. Please do not assume they are not.

If either one, please state the reasons (whether personal opinion or professional). How would that be beneficial ?
Sorry there is no ANSWER.

Am not starting a debate here nor want 'proponents banging their heads'.
This questions could also touches on other aspects org. structure/hierarchy, expected culture/customary understanding etc. ?
Absolutely, that's why introductions are necessary. Koryu or ZNKR Jo, someone will know your teacher, or knows someone that does.

Does the 'lived in disciple' exist in the SMR koryu arts today ?
Probably not. And even if there was, there would be no time for anything else. You would be on call 24/7 with no time for a job. (and most of it: "wash clothes", "change diaper", "pick up groceries.") Most Sensei do not teach for a living. They have their regular jobs as well.

if my question is silly, please let me know - am newbie here.
Your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Practice first

Daniel's comments about contacting the Jo groups in Australia are right on target. Ask questions there.

Daniel Lee
17th August 2005, 01:22
Hi Daniel,

had PM you. So please let me know.

Somehow, no one else seems to be able to answer my enquirries : i must be stupid to ask :rolleyes:

Patience, patience. No one is REQUIRED to reply to you.

Be grateful that people like Eric Montes above have taken the time to reply to your enquiry.

ZhuGeLiang
17th August 2005, 03:29
Hi Eric & Daniel,

thanks for your reply and kind advice.

am a newbie here so please excuse my enthusiasism or excitement as sometimes i may 'step on shoes' without realising. My apologies if occurred.

warmest regards,

geliang

SMJodo
17th August 2005, 14:28
Geliang,

I have spend more time and brain cells trying to distinguish the nuances and virtues of Koryu vs. Seitei, now I wish I could have the time back. I would agree that the issue is finding a qualified teacher and practice - regardless of which version it is. A lot of people get very caught up in the politics, have their own agendas, or choose to argue the point that "my style is better/more original than yours, etc." The less time you spend sifting through all of the BS is more time for practice. Once you spend some time in SMR, you can worry about that stuff. Just my opinion.

Mr. Matt
18th August 2005, 05:22
Hey, be patient with the posters here. As a newbie in martial arts, you're going to make a lot of faux pas, and it's likely you're going to get slapped down pretty hard sometimes (hopefully, metaphorically). You can usually assume (or at least give the benefit of the doubt) that they aren't being beligerent. You're likely to find a lot of that in the martial arts world. Some people want you to already know this stuff and have little patience for beginners, some people will try to "push your buttons" to get you over some issue you have, some people are just mean, and some just don't know they are being tactless. Takes a little getting used to.

Anyhow, to your question. Ask yourself this, do you want to learn Seitei or Koryu? If you specifically want to learn one, why develope habits you'll just have to "unlearn"? If you want to learn both, find a teacher, be polite and ask him if you can train with him.

Good luck!

Tim Atkinson
19th August 2005, 07:57
Geliang,

If my understanding of whom Daniel is referring to in Perth is correct, you can't go wrong. I had the opportunity to train with them for a while in Sydney before they made the move to WA. There are others "teaching" SMR in Perth that are not of the same level of experience so be aware.

I also agree that it would be best to make contact with a dojo here in OZ. This would make the introduction to and location of a dojo in Japan a lot more straight forward.