PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me?

Aikido_Girl918
21st August 2005, 16:50
I was just wondering, since they don't teach meditation at our dojo, could someone help me get started in meditation? I am very interested in meditation and would love a teacher in this subject. thankyou

Chuck.Gordon
21st August 2005, 17:13
I was just wondering, since they don't teach meditation at our dojo, could someone help me get started in meditation? I am very interested in meditation and would love a teacher in this subject. thankyou

Depends. What kind of meditation? Toward what end? There are myriads of types of meditation. It's not all bubbles and flowers. Sometimes, it's just doing what you do and being PART of it, rather than being an observer.

And if what you do in the dojo isn't meditation, then what is it?

Chuck

Aikido_Girl918
21st August 2005, 17:21
i am not sure. i don't really know what i am getting myself into, but i know i am interested. they do, in a way, teach meditation. But you really have to look for it, i never have to look, but most do. we sit in seiza for about 30 seconds up to about a minute and a half before bowing onto the floor and we are supposed to be doing certain breathing exercises, but that is it. most people don't see the base of it is meditation, but for some reason i never had to think to realize it was meditation. that caught my attention, everything happens for a reason, so there must be a reason that i am so connected to the martial arts and a reason that i knew right off the bat that this was meditation where everyone else thinks that meditation is sitting uncomfortably and quitely and trying not to think. i am just really curious and i thought i would look for some answers here

Sabre
21st August 2005, 18:49
Your best bet is to look into schools of meditation in your area. I am sure that there are a bunch that you can find.

Just like what you did to find the martial arts school you started in, look around and find somewhere that resonates with you. Enjoy it!

That having been said, there may be some questions you have about meditation in general. Ask them!

You can ask here and you can ask your teachers in the dojo. Many of us will be willing to help :)

Good luck!

Nick

Aikido_Girl918
21st August 2005, 19:47
good idea, but that maybe difficult as i am almost 13 and my parents don't believe in meditation or anything like it

mews
22nd August 2005, 00:06
If your parents have a hard time with 'meditation', try talking about it as 'relaxed focused attention'.

There are probably books in your local library.

the part where you sit, breath, and clear your mind before and after class isn't a bad place to start.

oh- If one reason for your parents problem with 'meditation' is their religious beliefs, let me tell you the explanation my aunt, a Catholic nun, used to use:

Prayer: talk to God
Meditation: shut up and listen! :p

mew

Brian Owens
23rd August 2005, 06:19
I was just wondering, since they don't teach meditation at our dojo, could someone help me get started in meditation?
There are many types of meditation; Zen, Transcendental, Yogic, Tantric, etc., etc. In the most basic form, though, all are "just sitting" and letting the mind do its thing (or not do its thing, but I don't want to get complicated).

One place to start would be to read some books on the subject at your local library. That would give you a brief overview of the different types, and which methods you might want to pursue further and which ones you might want to avoid.

Some books that I can suggest are:

Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
by Jon Kabat-Zinn

_____

Zen Meditation for Christians
The Practice of Zen Meditation
and Zen: Way to Enlightenment
all by Father Hugo Enomiya-LaSalle

_____

and even Meditation for Dummies
by Stephan Bodian and Dr. Dean Ornish

In fact, Meditation for Dummies might be the best first book to read.

The three by Fr. LaSalle are hard to find, but worth reading if you do.

Fr. LaSalle ran a large meditation center in Japan, and was a frequent teacher of meditation to Catholics and others who often don't associate meditation with their particular faith.

HTH.

Cufaol
23rd August 2005, 06:27
There are lots of meditations who are anything but sitting without doing anything. e.g.: walking-medit., laughing-medit., doing kata in a medit. state. Everyone can meditate. Just focus on your breathing, breath dowxn in your belly, not with your upper chest. be aware of every square inch of that body of yours. That's what it usually boils down to. I do suggest you find a teacher, or a good book. However, be carefull conserning both books and teachers. There are crappy elements out there. On both sides of the spectrum.

Chuck.Gordon
23rd August 2005, 11:21
A dear friend of mine who is also an Episcopal chaplain is exploring the idea of labyrinth walking. Very interesting stuff. Recently visited a couple of cathedrals in France doing some research.

Aikido_Girl918
24th August 2005, 00:15
all goos ideas. oh i like the idea of Meditation For Dummies book. the "For Dummies" collection is always helpful, my grandmother has like six concerning the computer.those were where she got started and now she is like this computer...genious. she can make anything from avatars to webpages! :P anyway, goos ideas, thankyou, Fanci

Brian Owens
24th August 2005, 03:03
...Prayer: talk to God
Meditation: shut up and listen!
I like it!

mews
31st August 2005, 03:24
Prayer - talk to God
Meditation - Shut up and listen!

I like it!

Yeah, Aunt Tessie was cool.

I won't say I believe in God, but I believe in Aunt Tessie!

mew