PDA

View Full Version : Bujinkan Ross dojo.

Archaon
22nd August 2005, 20:03
Hello all. As you can see I am new to these forums and I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I apologise in advance if I've posted in the wrong forum.

I was wondering if anyone happened to know anything about the Bujinkan Ross dojo in Bangor. I am considering taking up the art, but I want to make sure I don't end up experiencing something that'll end up worthy of a thread in the Bad Budo forum. The website (http://www.bujinkanrossdojo.com/) doesn't offer me much information, and obviously emailing Mr. Ross isn't likely to get me an unbiased answer to the question of whether his dojo is worth training at.

Any help at all would be appreciated. The last thing I want is to become a ninjer.

saru1968
22nd August 2005, 20:10
Although i do not know the Instructor personally.

The fact they were in Japan recently is a good one.

I've certainly heard no bad reports. I would suggest you pop along and try a session and see if its for you.

Please consider there is no overnight success in BBT, takes time and dedication as do all good martial arts.

any further questions about Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu please ask.

gary@wisemonkeydojo.co.uk

:-)

Archaon
22nd August 2005, 20:14
Of course, I'm not expecting to become "teh leet ninja" within a few weeks. I'm fully aware that a lot of time has to go into it, which is exactly why I wanted to get some information on the place first. Attending a dojo for a year only to find out that your sensei doesn't actually know what he's doing wouldn't be much fun.

william northcote
22nd August 2005, 22:10
I see no problem with the site. Maybe Tyler should go and find out first hand and ask questions in the dojo and in the ninpo section instead of baffling budo.

stormy
23rd August 2005, 10:03
Hello all. As you can see I am new to these forums and I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I apologise in advance if I've posted in the wrong forum.

I was wondering if anyone happened to know anything about the Bujinkan Ross dojo in Bangor. I am considering taking up the art, but I want to make sure I don't end up experiencing something that'll end up worthy of a thread in the Bad Budo forum. The website (http://www.bujinkanrossdojo.com/) doesn't offer me much information, and obviously emailing Mr. Ross isn't likely to get me an unbiased answer to the question of whether his dojo is worth training at.

Any help at all would be appreciated. The last thing I want is to become a ninjer.

Tom Ross is a very good friend of mine and has been training in the Bujinkan for many years, his direct instructor is Steve Byrne who`s responsible for Ireland, he travels regularly to Japan and also to seminars inside and outside of Ireland, if you want to train with him you cannot go far wrong, if you want to ask him a question then do so, he`s a very humble person, i recently did a seminar for him in Bangor, he is an excellent instructor and has some really good students, they too travel to Japan with him.

Hope this helps

Regards

Norman

www.bujinkan-kouryuu.com

cuchulain
23rd August 2005, 10:54
I also have known Tom for several years and as Norman said, he's a good budoka, a nice guy and he has a great attitude. He has trained in Japan several times and also attends seminars regularly in Ireland.

There have been lots of these lately and there are lots scheduled for the next year (www.bujinkan.ie). This is significant because if you join this dojo you will get lots of opportunities to compare your training and the skill level of the people in your dojo with others in the Bujinkan in Ireland.

This isn't an unbiased reference, but he is certainly not material for a thread in the Baffling Budo section of the board. Perhaps this could be moved to the Ninpo section?

Alex Meehan
www.happobiken.com

saru1968
23rd August 2005, 12:42
Yes be a good idea to move it to Ninpo/Ninjutsu section as Baffling budo might give the wrong idea.

:-)

william northcote
23rd August 2005, 12:53
By placing the Bujinkan thread here it goes against the rules of baffling budo set out by Mr. Lindsey in 2003.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19147

Effective May 16th, 2003 there will no longer be allowed any messages, discussions, or comments in regards to the degree of the association of the Bujinkan and the Jukokai.

Any such violations will be deleted and the offending member will loose posting privileges in that forum. Further violations will result in the removal of the offending member’s e-budo membership.

Charlie Kondek
23rd August 2005, 13:48
Don't scare the guy, Will. Honest mistake. If you were a first time visitor to e-budo you might think that Baffling was a good place for your innocent question.

George Kohler
23rd August 2005, 14:10
By placing the Bujinkan thread here it goes against the rules of baffling budo set out by Mr. Lindsey in 2003.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19147

That is only if there is a thread about the association between Jukokai and the Bujinkan. Just because the thread is about a Bujinkan dojo, it does not exempt any dojo in the Bujinkan organization from being mentioned in this forum.

But, since there is nothing that I can see wrong with this dojo, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum.

william northcote
23rd August 2005, 14:30
Ok. Next time I do something like that, please bury me up to my neck in the sand and set the ants onto me :D

stormy
24th August 2005, 06:32
Ok. Next time I do something like that, please bury me up to my neck in the sand and set the ants onto me :D

We`ll set Ant AND Dek onto you :)

william northcote
24th August 2005, 07:10
We`ll set Ant AND Dek onto you :)

Ant and Dec? Oh no, not those two. I want to punch them for starting off the piggin' Pokemon craze on TV.

Kotaro
24th August 2005, 08:18
HI

I have never met Mr Ross, so can not say a thing about him.

However this thread reminds me of a recent one where some one asked similar questions regarding a Genbukan instructor.

Can you imagine if every potential newbie asked the same question about every club in the world we would have forum chaos.

here is my advise.

Dont ask this type of question on a forum. There is only one way to get the genunine answers you need.

Either email/phone the instructor in question and ask him if he has affiliations etc to whatever orgs HQ hebelongs to, does he train with his seniors if not why not, or just plain and simple walk through the door and ask if you can view or even try a class. Many instructors now offer first lesson free.

At the end of it if you dont like it then all you have wasted is a few hours of your time.

I know this guy hasnt said one bad thing and only wants advise, but Budo is personal, one guy may have students who adore and love him, and there will be one person out there who will say anything bad just for the hell of it. I have seen it many times on my travels.

Go visit, thats my advise you wont know what he is like from asking questions on a forum.

paradoxbox
24th August 2005, 15:47
I agree with the above poster in theory however in reality it's impossible for a newbie to know whether or not he's receiving good or bad training. I have seen threads here on ebudo where students have spent 3 years wasting their time in some false system unrelated to what they thought they were doing..

We can afford to ask questions first and shoot later here on the forums, why not take full advantage of it so no one gets caught up in something they didn't mean to. :)

Just my 2cents.