PDA

View Full Version : Is the book:BJJ theory and practice,more or less the same as BJJ theory and technique

mawashi geri
24th August 2005, 18:57
Hi everybody.I hope this forum also hosts questions about BJJ,sorry if this doesn't.I didn't know where to post.My problem is:I wanted to buy the book:Brazilian Ju-jitsu and technique by Renzo Gracie et al.However,the Italian online store I buy from,only has a book called:Brazilian Ju-jitsu theory and practice.The IBN is the same for the 2 books.To get :BJJ theory and technique,I should open an account on amazon and there is no Italian amazon so I'd need to wait long and pay more shipping expenses.So,I was wondering,does anybody know if"theory and practice"(for short) contains the same material as the other plus something else(it is a bigger book than "theory and technique")or if they are completely different?I tried to go on Renzo Gracie's site but they just offer "theory and technique"for sale,and I could not compare the 2 books.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

MikeWilliams
24th August 2005, 22:31
I imagine they're the same book, especially if it lists the same isbn. Can't you just do a search on the isbn on amazon? I don't think you'd have to register.

I have Theory And Technique, and while it's very nicely produced and presented, I think there are better BJJ books out there. It's useful if you are a complete newcomer to the art, but the techniques shown tend to either be very basic, or shown out-of-context - with little background on setups, counters, or combinations. The 'theory' portion does provide a solid introduction to the history and strategic approach - but again, it will be old news to anyone with six months or more of training behind them.

Having said that, it was the first BJJ book I bought when I started training, and I thoroughly enjoyed it back then.

If you want to talk BJJ technique, such discussions seem to be tolerated (and even welcomed) in the Judo forum - thanks to the excellent moderating of Mark Feigenbaum. [/creep] :)

MarkF
25th August 2005, 10:05
The thread is fine, here, but as Mike says, I do not mind a thread on BJJ or any other kind of grappling style based in judo or with similarities. Why limit the talk so strictly? It would be like a debate with only one side to the argument.

If you want it moved there, just say so, but give it a little time for people to find it first.

Mark

mawashi geri
25th August 2005, 11:33
Hello,thanks for the reply.To Mike:I need to clarify,as I was in a hurry yesterday.I was directed to that amazon page from a ju-jitsu website.Reviews of the book looked good so I decided to find out whether my fav italian online bookstore had it.I found the ISBN to the book on amazon.As for it being basic,fine with me,as I never studied ju-jitsu.As a matter of fact,I only practiced a bit of karate when I was little(going for 30 next month).So,I would use it as a reference .I own many martial art books(and books in general) so it's mainly this compulsion to read that brings me to buy books of martial arts I never practiced and maybe never will(I live in a small town far from everything apart from karate).I am in the process of deciding what martial art I want to practice,if any.I must drive 100 km's every day to do so,so I want to decide carefully and I keep buying books.This is why I would like to live in London,cos I would have plenty of choice there(I visited it in 2003).However,I am used to a quiet life and London is too hectic to my taste.As for judo forum,I will go look there as I always do(also other forums)but as my experience is limited and I don't feel qualified to intervene(this is why I just posted 16 times since January).To Mark:you can move or not move the thread,either way is fine with me.Regards

MikeWilliams
25th August 2005, 12:03
Hi Massimo,

Well based on what you have just said, I would recommend BJJ: Theory and Technique very highly. As I said, it is an ideal first book on the subject.

Good luck in your training!

mawashi geri
30th August 2005, 16:49
Hello Mike,thanks for your reply.Whichever martial art I decide to pick up,I doubt it can be BJJ,as there only are 2 schools in the whole Italy,both about 300 km's from me.However I am going to be satisfied If I understand what they are doing when I see MA going to the ground.Regards,Massimo