PDA

View Full Version : Walking stick sword?

Valaki
25th August 2005, 20:54
Hey guys,

Ive been looking for an appropriate weapon to use in self defence which would make use of my sword skills. Of course I could use a bokuto but once I found this, i fell in love with it.

http://www.whiteheronblades.com/blindwarrior.html

Do you think it could be used effectively? What do you think about its quality? As ive gathered from the text next to it, it is designed to be used in a real fight.

So what do you think?

Oh and im not looking for quality katana or even a proper katana. This thing is even better cause it cant be considered one and im not disrespecting a katana by using it in self-defence.

-Andras Badics

Blackwood
25th August 2005, 21:06
It's truly beautiful!

But please be aware that 'sword canes' are illegal in most states. (Nevermind, I see you are in Hungary. But do check your local laws!)

A. Bakken
25th August 2005, 21:16
The problem is this. If a situation arose in which you were to use this sword "legitimately" (that is, in self defense when all other options were exhausted), a lot of people including police officers and criminal court judges would ask themselves why you were carrying such a weapon in the first place. It's hard to plead self defense when exterior evidence seem to suggest you were very much prepared for the !!!! to hit the fan...

Also, unless you are over 70 years old, very frail-looking, or both, people will probably react to you carrying a "stick".

I would also read the sales pitch for this stick sword with some scepticism, as it seems mainly to be tailored to Zatoichi fans wanting something that they can whack about in their backyards without it falling apart at first swing (as the majority of the Zatoichi sword replicas are likely to). That doesn't mean that it's a suitable weapon for someone training in classical sword arts, though.

Valaki
25th August 2005, 21:56
So what is the main problem with it, the fact that it might be utter crap with useless quality:), or that you woudnt be able to execute sword techniques properly with it (supposing it was decently constructed)?

Thanks for the reply btw and I have to say I understand your other points.

urbalte
26th August 2005, 03:28
<whisper voices>If you buy this...they will laugh</whisper voices>

Aaron T
26th August 2005, 05:28
You need a big black hat and a suit to got with, simply dashing my good man!..{just joshing a bit no offense intended.]

Aaron Fields
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

renfield_kuroda
27th August 2005, 23:09
Not to impose a dose of reality on this, but what's wrong with a walking stick? You know, without the sword? Say like studying Uchidaryu Tanjojutsu?

Regards,

r e n

Jock Armstrong
28th August 2005, 01:39
The voice of reason! A walking stick is less likely to violate any laws there might be concerning weapon carriage. Effective and not difficult to learn.

There are quite a few arts which use a walking stick/cane. Good idea Ren.

Blackwood
28th August 2005, 03:13
The cane is an excellent choice for something that one can carry around with you.

A. Bakken
28th August 2005, 10:17
Not to impose a dose of reality on this, but what's wrong with a walking stick? You know, without the sword? Say like studying Uchidaryu Tanjojutsu?

Regards,

r e n

Where I live, an umbrella would be a far more inconspicuous self defense weapon than a stick. I'm sure one could modify tanjo techniques to the umbrella, but if that should fail, they also come in cane versions!

http://www.canneshop.com/anglais/918_a.htm

Charles E Davis
24th May 2008, 14:54
Greetings All
I know nothing about Hungarian laws but here in the US, a Sword Cane is illegal and brands you as a guy looking for trouble. A good lawyer will have a field day with you in court. Here is my two cents. Buy the sword cane and hang it over your fireplace. Practice your sword skills with a sturdy Hapkido fire hardened rattan Cane. I could not break mine swinging it two handed against an Oak tree in my back yard. Or try a nice Hapkido style carved coccus wood cane. Work your angles of attack skills and learn some hooking and trapping moves. Try some Kali/Escrima moves with your cane and you will never leave without it. :)
http://www.cdavisgroup.com
Good luck
Charles E Davis

elder999
24th May 2008, 15:36
Greetings All
I know nothing about Hungarian laws but here in the US, a Sword Cane is illegal and brands you as a guy looking for trouble. Charles E Davis

In some parts of the US, a cane sword is illegal to carry, but not all.It certainly is in Massachussetstan, though......:laugh:

Of course, most commercially available cane swords, certainly the one in the OP, though it might have been better, are crap-a proper weapon is actually two weapons-sword drawn in one hand, baton in the other. Most of the ones you can buy nowadays aren't even one weapon-they're a useless (or one use) hunk of metal in one hand, and another one use hunk of whatever in the other.....Hanwei makes some decent ones, but they're....costly. Cold Steel's is a pretty decent toy for the money, but a little obvious....

Charles Mahan
27th May 2008, 16:35
I think these new posts are coming just a LITTLE bit late to help the original poster.