PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember a food name... (somewhat long, sumimasen)

budoka_ch
7th September 2005, 01:27
Shitsurei shimasu.

First time here, long time reader. I hope all of you gourmands (Nippon and otherwise) can help me. Very humble apologies about the length, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Way back in the summer of '99 my dad (a 1969 MA in Asian Studies) treated me to a trip to Japan--only 2 weeks, so we did the usual touristy Kansai-to-Kanto bit, with some noodling around in the mountains. While there, we were strolling down a certain street and happened to chance upon one of the innumerable street vendors offering their gastronomic wares. In this case the gentleman was peddling what were essentially mochi on a skewer, slathered in some sort of sauce.

My salivary glands are in overdrive as I remember consuming this treat. As I recall, it was a local delicacy. One problem: It was only six years ago, but I cannot for the life of me recall where I had this (I'm reasonably sure it wasn't Tokyo, Kyoto or Nara. Takayama? Matsumoto? Nikko? Kamakura?...Jeez, brain cells, wake up! )

Does anyone here have the faintest idea of what I might be describing? If you can tell me, I can't promise a prize on a par with one of Mr. Dave Lowry's culinary contests, but you *will* have my eternal thanks and gratitude.

Ps. I'm sorry, but I don't remember anything else of our itinerary. You must understand that I was a young, fresh-faced lad all of 24, eager to explore (and a bit overwhelmed by all the tastes and smells of this exotic land...not to mention the 8 hour jetlag.)

Pps. Google sempai informs me the answer might be kushidango, but I don't recall that the dish in question was sweet. More like a grilled teriyaki sauce coating.

Tri-ring
7th September 2005, 02:01
Konichiwa Chris-san

I hope you enjoyed the stay here in Japan.
I can't say where you had the dish but I am pettty sure it is "Mitarashi dango"
the sauce is soy-sauce based with mirin and sugar.
Some part of Japan uses Miso, and sugar in this case it is called gohei mochi. This certain variety uses regular rice instead of mochi rice.
I hope this helps.

K.Miwa

budoka_ch
7th September 2005, 04:25
Thank you very much. I did very much enjoy the trip...demo, tottemo atsui deshita zo!! Both of those sound familiar, esp. 'gohei mochi'. I googled them and it jogged my memory...enough to recall another memory.

I was with my father at a small eating establishment in Inuyama, partaking of some delicious bento. My father was intently studying the handwritten menu on the far wall when he squinted, shook his head in disbelief, and out came the pocket jiten. After a moment's consultation, he pursed his lips, raised his eyebrows, jabbed me in the ribs, and whispered, "So...how's your horsemeat?"

I stopped, blinked, and resumed chewing. Very slowly. As I stated, it was wonderful, but still...

This was also the trip where I discovered green tea ice cream. Yum, yum...

Arigato gozaimashita.

Baio
7th September 2005, 06:49
i was going to post a picture of mitarashi anko eating mitarashi dango but couldn't find it but heres the dango