PDA

View Full Version : Ryukyu no Kaze

Doug Daulton
25th November 2000, 18:10
Folks,

I did some digging with NHK regarding their historic mini-series "Ryukyu no Kaze" (Winds of the Ryukyus). Here is the result.

Dear Mr. Daulton,

Thank you for your enquiry about Ryukyu no Kaze. Unfortunately, the series was made for broadcast only and no videos are available.

I apologize for not being able to assist you and thank you for your interest.

Yours sincerely,

Archives Sales
NHK International
archives@nhkint.or.jp

Oh well. Maybe someone has a personal copy they'd be willing to share?

[Edited by Doug Daulton on 11-25-2000 at 12:20 PM]

Doug Daulton
4th April 2002, 01:56
Robert,

If you should chance upon a copy again, would you please let me know the cost? I may be interested in it (with a critical eye as you suggest).

Thanks,

Doug

Patrick McCarthy
7th April 2002, 06:48
Hi Robert,

Yep, your memory served you well.

Being the 600-year anniversary between the Ryukyu's and China, the 20-year anniversary since American released control of the island (1972), and the resurgence of Okinawa culture, language and customs, the island was buzzing with a myriad of cultural activities. There was a huge Uchinanchu festival the year before which kicked off unprecedented interest in just about everything Okinawan. A lot of national & local money was spent to refurbish the old castle, build a life-size village for shooting the TV series (Ryukyu studio) and refresh old ties with (Fujian) China.

Ryukyu no Kaze was a 43 part NHK drama on the history and culture of the Ryukyu people. I taped the weekly series and still have it (around here somewhere). I thought the series was fascinating, as it kept me glued to the sausage box every week. Through the series I got the opportunity to meet and correspond with quite a few knowledgeable people who were only too happy to help me with my own studies. One was Prof. Takara Kuraiyoshi (then curator of Okinawa Prefectural Museum), who served the series as the local anthropologist for authenticity control. Others were Inoue Hideo (author of (The History of the Ryukyu Kingdom), Prof. Mori Koichi, Prof. Yamano Tetsuo, Prof. Tanaka Yuko, Prof. Hokama Takeshi and Chin Shun Shin.

I also taped a bunch of other stuff including the Dec 1992 NHK lecture by Chin Shun Shin, the author who wrote the book ("Ryukyu no Kaze"), and, the NHK special on Ryukyu culture. Then in Jan 1993, there was the Ryukyu Historical Symposium, held at the Okinawan Convention Centre and televised. I videotaped that, too.

Robert Rousselot wrote, "Many years ago I was at Patrick McCarthy's in Japan and he was showing me some of his video collection and if I am not mistaken he has some if not the whole series. You might ask him."

Troll Basher
25th August 2004, 10:47
Originally posted by Doug Daulton
Robert,

If you should chance upon a copy again, would you please let me know the cost? I may be interested in it (with a critical eye as you suggest).

Thanks,

Doug

Doug

Every once in a while I happen to see the videos for sale in magazines from NHK......the very folks that said they dont sell them.
If I see it again I will let you know.

Doug Daulton
25th August 2004, 17:44
Thanks Robert.

bgushiken
7th October 2004, 22:42
If anyone could also let me know when the videos are available, and where I can get them, I'd much appreciate it. My father recorded the series awhile ago on VHS and lent it out so that others could learn the history of our Okinawan culture. I'm sorry to say that most of the tapes didn't return and the series, to my knowledge, has not aired again since. If anyone is willing to lend out their copy, I would be willing to transfer it to DVD for them as a better method of keeping a quality archive, and not for resale. I'm thinking of using this as a Christmas present for him.

Thank you,

Brandon Gushiken

Doug Daulton
7th October 2004, 23:26
Brandon,

If you can secure a copy on VHS, I can help with the DVD transfer. I know a couple of folks who would love a copy as well.

Keep me posted.

TomS
22nd February 2006, 20:24
Have there been any further developments on finding a copy of Ryukyu No Kaze?

Any information would be appreicated.

RobertRousselot
24th February 2006, 12:23
Have there been any further developments on finding a copy of Ryukyu No Kaze?

Any information would be appreicated.

Actually I think the series is about 14~15 tapes long

shihonage
2nd March 2006, 11:54
next time I goto the video rental I will see if they have it.

was it called 琉球の風 

I did find the video on DVD on Amazon Japan

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000197LWK/503-6633502-1976729 its 3000 yen

shihonage
2nd March 2006, 12:23
oh yeah I forgot to add

琉球の風  means Ryukyu Style

even though kaze 風 = wind but also can mean style

I call the big video rental places here no one has it on rental. looks like amazon japan is where your going to find it.

RobertRousselot
2nd March 2006, 12:59
oh yeah I forgot to add

琉球の風  means Ryukyu Style

even though kaze 風 = wind but also can mean style

I call the big video rental places here no one has it on rental. looks like amazon japan is where your going to find it.

Try contacting NHK in Okinawa. They might have it or know where you can get it.

shihonage
5th March 2006, 06:42
Try contacting NHK in Okinawa. They might have it or know where you can get it.

no luck with them. they say they dont have any copies for sale. oh well. I will keep looking around .