PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Documentary

JamesF
25th November 2000, 19:23
Hi,

I've just finished watching a video of "Budo: The Art of Killing" that i borrowed from a friend.

I've also seen some of the BBC series "The Way of the Warrior" and the latest BBC/ITV prog "Martial Arts: The Real Story".

Basically, are there any other good (??) documentaries out there on the Martial Arts? Who, where, when etc?

Also, are any of them available on video (pref PAL for me) :)

Thanks,

James.

Juan Perez
26th November 2000, 00:29
I remember seeing this documentary for the first time about 13 years ago. I came across a copy from a friend which got lost while moving from one post to another. Would anyone happen to know where I can purchase another copy of this rare video? Thanks in advance.

MarkF
26th November 2000, 07:52
James,
Out of those you mentioned, I've seen "Martial Arts: The Real Story." From what I have heard, the BBC cut you saw is not the best. The American Cut, though is pretty good, lots of judo footage and other MA, and Mike Finn being only a talking head which makes it much better.

There was pretty good stuff withn Donn Draeger, Jon Bluming, and Meik Skoss, the latter two also doing and talking. You might try Discovery.com/The Learning Channel, or write to Joseph R. Svinth at http://ejmas.com , or email jsvinth@juno.com . There was some talk of a boxed set of this show, but he would have the most uptodate info on it, as he served as writer/talking head on the American version.

Mark

Joseph Svinth
26th November 2000, 12:25
A home video of the US version of "MA: The Real Story" should be coming out sometime in early 2001. This version will be somewhat different from what you saw on The Learning Channel; basically, it will be missing everything showing Sammu Hong and Steven Seagal. (Think royalties. Think expensive. Think edit.) Other than that, most everything else will be the same.

The resulting video will run about 90 minutes and retail for about $29.95 plus P&H.

But it's still a ways off, I fear.

Karl Friday appeared on a Discovery Channel documentary called "The Samurai," or something close to that, that appeared during early 2000. As I recall, it was quite good.

JamesF
26th November 2000, 16:46
The Discovery Channel have had a few reasonable doc's:

Way of the Warrior Series - Japanese Samurai
Weapons of War - The Samurai Sword

Also, National Geographic Adventure One have had a couple:
Muay Thai (sp?) - looking at a training camp and fights
Kendo - following an 8th Dan examination
Taekwondo - can't remember

Erm, can't think of anything else.

If i see anything with 'Martial' in the blurb i try and watch it - but, the schedules and prog's are quite different in Europe/UK than the US i think.

Next......

James :)

Juan Perez
27th November 2000, 04:46
I was refering to "Budo: The Art Of Killing." That's the video I am wondering about finding and purchasing again. Sorry I didn't make it clear before, my fault. Any ideas where it could be purchased?

John Lindsey
27th November 2000, 06:23
http://www.samuraivideo.com has it I think. Tell him you heard about it here on e-budo and he will give you a discount.

Hank Irwin
3rd December 2000, 17:10
Originally posted by JamesF
Hi,

I've just finished watching a video of "Budo: The Art of Killing" that i borrowed from a friend.

I've also seen some of the BBC series "The Way of the Warrior" and the latest BBC/ITV prog "Martial Arts: The Real Story".

Basically, are there any other good (??) documentaries out there on the Martial Arts? Who, where, when etc?

Also, are any of them available on video (pref PAL for me) :)

Thanks,

James. Tsunami has some real good stuff, Okinawan and Chinese and Japanese. Also try out http://www.wle.com they have some interesting stuff also, strictly Chinese though.

JamesF
3rd December 2000, 21:54
Do they have a website?

Thanks,

James :)

Hank Irwin
3rd December 2000, 22:17
Originally posted by JamesF
Do they have a website?

Thanks,

James :) I don't know if they have a website as of yet but, they have an email address at WEAPONS@PTDPROLOG.NET fax;610/286-7776 phone 610/286-7771
Some of the videos include Island of Budo by Kenzo Mabuni(more like a documentary, was REAL good) and Once A Secret by Eihachi Ota. They have much more. I am looking at a Bugeisha( what a shame it folded) issue from Spring '98. I'm sure since then it has grown quite a bit. Tsunami puts out some of the finest video I think I have seen as of yet. Try the Dragon Times Mag, also Sensei John Sells has a website that is also pretty informative as well as offering video.
http://www.west.net/~msource
I hope this was a little helpful.

Does anyone know if Sensei Oyata has done a historical video yet?