PDA

View Full Version : Kanji/Chinese characters

JL.
15th September 2005, 12:58
Hello!

I have problems with posting Chinese characters, a.k.a. Kanji. All that comes out are question marks. Can anybody tell me which fonts/settings I do require?

Thanks a lot!
__________ Jan

Anders Pettersson
15th September 2005, 13:21
I have problems with posting Chinese characters, a.k.a. Kanji. All that comes out are question marks. Can anybody tell me which fonts/settings I do require?
Hi Jan.

Sorry for not replying on this when you asked in the SK forum

If you are using IME you shouldn't have a problem. ??
So please tell us what software you are using (OS, web browser, encoding, program you use to type kanji, etc.) I (and probably a few others) maybe can help you.

As for me I use (most of the time) XP pro, IME, IE, usually have Western encoding (or what it is called in English browsers).

Can you read kanji here?
Here is just a few kanji that I guess you recognize:
少林寺拳法

/Anders

JL.
15th September 2005, 13:27
Hello Anders-sensei!

Nope, I've never seen these Kanji before. ;-) [Edit: Yes, I can usually read all the Kanji posted.]
Well, I don't know what IME is, but it's most likely not what I'm using.
I'm using Mac OS X (10.4.2) as operating system, Safari (Apple's browser, I do have others, too) with Text Coding "Standard" and the system's build-in method for entering Chinese characters.
It's just a guess, but I suppose that a certain font of Kanji is used at eBudo. Do You know which one that could be?

Thanks for the help,
________________ Jan.

Andrew S
15th September 2005, 15:01
Hi, Jan,

I noticed when I tried posting Chinese characters, mine got messed up too, until I disabled the smilies. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrew

JL.
15th September 2005, 15:28
?????

Let's see, if this works...

By the way, Andrew-san, did the Kanji come out as question-marks or as something completely different?

Jan

JL.
15th September 2005, 15:30
Obviously didn't work. :-(

JL.
15th September 2005, 18:36
?!—ΡŽ›Œ?–@
shorinji
Œ?ΰι

JL.
15th September 2005, 18:38
?!—ΡŽ›Œ?–@

?!—ΡŽ›Œ?–@

JL.
15th September 2005, 18:41
asdf ?!—ΡŽ›Œ?–@

?¬?!—ΡŽ›Œ?–@

‘ε ?!—ΡŽ›Œ?–@

Almost there... but there's still a problem with the "sho", for whatever reasons. *frown*

Thanks anyway, that was a great help. The decisive bit so far was changing the Text-encoding in the browser settings.

JL.
15th September 2005, 18:44
Ύ―ΞΣ»ϋ·ύΛ‘

"Japanese (EUC)" it is! The "Shift JIS" made trouble with the first character (no idea why). But now it works! :)

Thanks everyone for the help!
Yours,
_____ Jan.

JL.
15th September 2005, 18:46
Hmm. Funnily though I have to use "Shift JIS" to view what everyone else wrote in Kanji! Very mysterious.

JL

JL.
15th September 2005, 18:49
Please tell me: which of the Kanji in my posts are readible?
Especially those in "The solution" vs. those in the various "Test..." posts and the first character in, for example, "Test 2".

Thanks a lot,
__________ Jan.

JL.
15th September 2005, 22:29
So You're a sysadmin or something like that?
I've been thinking about using Firefox but since my results with Safari are getting better and better (I'm actually in the process of switching from my prior default browser iCab) I don't think it's to sensible to switch right now. As a matter of fact I'm using two to three browsers for different purposes anyway. Results vary, as it is.

Jan

Anders Pettersson
16th September 2005, 03:47
Hi Jan.

Since you are using Mac I can't really help much, but with Zoli's help you have solved a few things.

Some points though.

I can see the kanji in your signature if I change encoding to EUC (Doesn't look right with Shift-JIS). If you look at the kanji in my first post in this thread, or this kanji to make it easier:
少林寺拳法
or even the kanji in my signature.

You can see that they are readable no matter what encoding you choose. (at least should be :p )
The reason for this is that when I use IME (Input Method Editor, which is a feature provide by Microsoft that is included in Windows) the kanji is in unicode (at least I think so :))

If you view the source code you can see the kanji in this post as the sign "&" followed by a number and ending with ";". Because each kanji is ending with a semicolon the kanji gets messed up and parsed (sp?) as a smilie if you put ordinary parenthesis around it (the semi colon followed by a parenthesis changes to the "wink" smilie).

The benefit by using unicode is that the kanji will come out no matter what encoding people have on their browser.

If I for instance use Scandinavian vowels such as ε, δ & φ (here they are in html format so they will be readable even if you choose EUC å, ä & ö ) they will usually get messed up by Japanese encodings such as Shift-JIS and EUC etc.

If there is a way to type on your Mac so you can get the kanji in unicode it will always be viewable.

So until then I can read what most people (Windows users) post in kanji without changing encoding, but I guess for the Mac people I have to change. :)

/Anders

JL.
16th September 2005, 08:55
?

&5C11;

Hmm, new problem: in my Character palette the Unicode for the characters is quite different (supposedly because it's hexadecimal (see above, the first one is copied from Anders-senseis post).
Edit: I've checked it, it is in fact the same number!
Edit II: I've found in the language settings that the Chinese and Japanese input methods do in fact not use Unicode (which can't be altered) under the "Script"-category, as most other language settings do. So I think I'll have to use the character palette and than convert hex in dec manually. :-)))

Jan