PDA

View Full Version : What ryu-ha are represented on the forum?

morpheus
15th September 2005, 20:52
I train Hontai Yoshin ryu. What other systems are represented within the forum?

clive guth
24th September 2005, 01:19
Look on the 1st thread about jujitsu on the internet.
that would give you a good reference which is one of the ones listed that I have been training in for over 25 years and in which I am from the most direct lineage.

DANZAN - RYU

bu-kusa
24th September 2005, 18:50
Excellent idea for a thread, but may I hijack its slightly and ask for any KORYU JU JUTSU RYU-HA to list themselves, not just Gendai organisations – which are all fine and dandy and can be excellent systems (not sarcasm, they can be very good for real life!) but this is in the koryu forum, so it would be nice if some of the koryu people weren’t drowned out for once.

Ps if you are Gendai why not list the arts/styles that your art was formed from, if you don’t know where from – ask!

Pps. I mostly train in the Kokusai Ju-Jutsu Renmei – this is a Gendai organisation, which teaches a unified Kyu syllabus as an introduction to learning to Ryu-ha patterns – the patterns I have been introduced to (as opposed to learnt correctly – very hard work!) so far being taken from:

Hontai Takagii Yoshin Ryu
Asayama Ichiden Ryu

The entire organisation though is based on these following Ryu-ha:
· Hontai Takagi Yoshin ryu
· Kukishin ryu
· Asayama Ichiden ryu
· Tatara Shinden ryu
· Bokuden ryu
· Yagyu Shingan ryu
· Tenshin ryu
· Araki Shin ryu
· Itten Chukai Ryushin Ryu
· Tenshin Kyohyo Kukishin Ryu
Daito Ryu

clive guth
25th September 2005, 07:30
Fair enough that this is a Koryu Forum, I will list the arts/styles that Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu was formed from and present them per the history of this presumably Gendai Jujitsu.

Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu was founded by Prof. Henry Seishiro Okazaki in Hawaii around 1922.

In 1910 Okazaki started to practice Jujitsu from Master Yoshimatsu Tanaka at Tanaka's Dojo called Shuyukai in Hilo, Hawaii. This is where Okazaki learned Yoshin-Ryu.
From 1910 to about 1922, while still in Hilo, Hawaii, he also mastered Iwaga-Ryu and Kosogabe-Ryu.

And for some more information as far as "from Koryu to Gendai" and list the arts/styles that formed Okazaki's Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu;

In 1924 Okazaki went to Japan for about 3 to 4 months and visited more than 50 Jujitsu Dojo's studying the "Okugi" (Secret Teachings) and mastered 675 techniques of Jujitsu.

From that Koryu Jujitsu Ryu-ha that Okazaki studied and mastered he formed and founded Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu, who died in 1951. The longest living student that studied with Okazaki was Sig Kufferath, who died in 1999. The longest living student that studied with Kufferath is Tony Janovich and is still currently teaching Okazaki's Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu. Currently now I am the longest living student who has studied for over twenty five years with Tony Janovich and up until his death with Janovich's teacher Kufferath.

I mention this lineage because we never were an organization. There were many "Gendai organizations" formed from Okazaki's Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu, and some of this lineage were part of being in them and out of. One organization did form in Sig Kufferath's later years that is this lineage combined with another lineage of Okazaki Danzan-Ryu. I think that this lineage has carried on the Koryu Jujitsu Ryu-ha of Yoshin-Ryu, Iwaga-Ryu, Kosogabu-Ryu very well.

Clive Guth

+++++++++++++++++++

Mekugi
25th September 2005, 15:42
Sosuishiryu Kumi Uchi Koshi no Mawari and Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho Here.

For the record, "Jujutsu" being under koryu has some merits, but it leaves out anything other than koryu, which is a shame. My two cents.

GCP
25th September 2005, 16:10
Dentokan jujutsu, derived from Hakko Ryu, derived from Daito Ryu.

SBreheney
25th September 2005, 17:10
KoKoDo Kyu Shin Ryu, derived from Hakko Ryu via Hakko Denshin Ryu, derived from Daito Ryu.

yoj
25th September 2005, 17:23
Another Dentokan here.

Eric Baluja
26th September 2005, 13:33
Struggling through Hontai Yoshin Ryu (and a very little judo, just to baffle me further).

Ree
26th September 2005, 14:42
Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Tenyokai U.K.

Thanks
Lee Masters

George Kohler
26th September 2005, 18:50
For the record, "Jujutsu" being under koryu has some merits, but it leaves out anything other than koryu, which is a shame. My two cents.

Your wish has come true.

George Kohler
26th September 2005, 19:00
There are two threads now. One is located in the new "Modern Jujutsu" forum. This thread will remain for Koryu, while the other is for Modern versions of jujutsu.

J. A. Crippen
27th September 2005, 07:47
There are a handful of Take(no)uchi Ryu people here on E-budo, but only a few of them read or post with any regularity.

RanaPalantir
30th September 2005, 19:07
Jeff Brown!

*grin* I also train Hontai Yoshin Ryu.

john_lord_b3
12th September 2006, 21:32
My main art is Wado-ryu, which is a Karate style but with heavy infusions from Jujutsu. In fact, it's earlier name was Wado-ryu Jujutsu Kenpo.

It was founded in 1934 by Otsuka Hironori, a menkyo holder in Shindo Yoshin-ryu Jujutsu. He combined the Jujutsu techniques with Okinawan Kenpo to form Wado-ryu Jujutsu Kenpo.

I also practice Dentokan Jujutsu and some other Gendai Jujutsu styles.