PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

mytaru
22nd September 2005, 05:49
I'm not only new to E-Budo, but I'm also new to martial arts in general. I'm definitely not in the best of shape either. I'm wondering where to start, be it a decent exersize program as well as being able to walk around a big city with any form of confidence. I live in maryland and will soon be working in DC if things go well, or poorly, depending on how you look at it. I've had a few friends that were mugged in the middle of the day while they were just going to lunch while working there. Not exactly something I'm looking forward to repeating myself.

I'm definitely open to pretty much any suggestion on looking less like a target and also having better health in general. Unfortunately I'm working full time and doing night school at maryland university, so something near there would be ideal to attend.

~E~

yoj
22nd September 2005, 10:15
Thats more like 3 distinct questions:

1: lose wight/increase fitness? Simple answer is eat less move more ;-) If its weight loss then I would try Bonk training or an equivalent excersise:

Bonk (http://www.wtcycling.com/BonkTraining.html)

If its to increase muscular strength then in the gym.

2. What art? Thats a really hard one, it depends on whats available, what your persona is like, what the instructor is like, in fact finding a decent instructor is more important than the art, and can completely change it. Read the forum, see what other people do, google around, and go and watch classes. You should find an air of respect and mutual trust, if it looks more like the instructor is quite far up his own bottom, he probably is.

3. Safety? Martial arts does not always equate to being safe on the street, a pure art doesn't actually take much interest in the urban environment, and arent really included in the curriculum (two guys with swords out had already decided it was beyond the chatty stage) Street self defense is not about being gung ho either (so avoid that in clubs too "You will soon kick butt like jackie chan on speed" or whatever) it's about either not being there, or not being worth the risk. There are some good books around and THIS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873649141/qid=1127380270/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-9725435-9122306?v=glance&s=books) is one of the best, it takes a painfully real view of reality, and Geoff genuinely knows his stuff. Read it, not at night in the dark ;-) and observe your own behaviour as it is now as wander about town, you may surprise yourself.

MarkF
23rd September 2005, 17:31
I'm definitely open to pretty much any suggestion on looking less like a target and also having better health in general. Unfortunately I'm working full time and doing night school at maryland university, so something near there would be ideal to attend.

Have you checked the university for such a class? Some have classes you can take for credit, not much credit, but .5 hours here and there can't hurt.

You will not become "untouchable" right off the bat, but there are six or eight week courses that can teach you more about self-defense in a short time than in two years of martial arts, so you do realize that it will take time. How much is up to you and life. That is, even the best of training cannot stop someone intent on doing you harm, but it can teach you exactly what you say in your post: to not look like a target.

Better health is nothing but eating well if you do not already, and a little excercise. Walking is a good way to start, work up to a mile everyday or three days a week and that will help immensely.

As time is not free, Check out YMCA or YWCA nearby for a martial art class. Health clubs rent space to those who teach a martial art. You will also save money that way.

For the extra oomph in good health through exercise and that confident step you want without wearing a chip on your shoulder, a judo, aikido or karate dojo are good places to stop, especially judo, for the exercise as well as the self-defense.

Remember too, that it matters little on the martial art. It is more important that you have the right instructor so check out some classes, take one or two (the latter is obviously better) classes and talk with more senior students. The best teacher is not necessarily the one who has the most control over his students, but may be the one where the student show results. Sensei is not God.

Right now, that is generally all you probably can handle, and if your days and nights are busy, this may take a little time, but it will be worth the time and effort.

Anyone can be mugged and such. I was in NYC when I was young. I made a quick decision that they six dollars in my pocket and my wallet were not worth defending even with six years or so of training. After all, you probably will be outnumbered even if only one idiot is involved. Generally, he has a buddy on him somewhere. Anyone can be a target, and probably the one thing you will learn is how not to be there. It is a conditioned reflex where your natural instincts may have to change.

Mark

PS: Welcome to E-budo!

twayman
23rd September 2005, 18:37
Yep,

Not much can be added to what Mark has posted. I feel that the first thing is start some program to get into shape, increase your self confidence and the way you feel about yourself. In general, persons with higher self esteem are less of a target (although this is still no guarantee that you won’t be a target). “Professional” criminals generally look for an easy target, if you carry yourself with confidence, they may, seek an easier target. Unfortunately, most of the time it is a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time a good self-defense instructor can help in this area, by making you aware of things to look out for before “stepping” in the middle of a situation. All the training in the world will not help if the guy catches you off guard and takes you out but, if you know what to look for you may have the foresight not to walk into the situation in the first place.

About finding a good art, I agree the instructor far out weighs a particular style. In fact depending on your location the style you choose may be limited to only a few (although in the D.C. area I am sure you will have more than enough to choose from). I can tell you from experience traveling a long distance to study a particular art gets old fast (although I still do it). Take a little time and check out the classes and ask questions… this is a good place to start.

Mr. Matt
23rd September 2005, 22:34
As far as what to take, remember that everybody you talk to has the "best martial art in the world", so with-a-grain-of-salt talk to people here. Find out what's in your area and check it out.
I had a friend who decided to go to the library and Barnes-n-Noble to do martial arts research on what to do. She came back with some of the most stupid ideas about martial arts that I ever heard. Avoid martial arts encyclopedia and Extreme Martial Arts videos. Meet the people here and find out what training is really like.

MikeWilliams
24th September 2005, 11:51
I'll echo what Mark, Todd & Jim have said about finding an art: Find a school that is convenient to get to, trains at convenient times, and in which you would feel comfortable. Visit classes and ask lots of questions.

In terms of getting in shape: that will come automatically with almost any art you take up. If you want a fast track to fitness, then something like kickboxing or judo/BJJ will give you a serious workout. Most schools will take account of your unfit noobines, and work with your limitations. Classes should push you but not break you! But you'll know this from having visited classes and asking questions, right?

In terms of self-defense, it is my very strong belief that physical skills are only marginally relevant. Long, long before you learn how to chin-jab somebody, you should have learnt risk assesment, situational awareness, de-escalation skills and escape methods.

If you have to fight for self-defense, your skills have already badly let you down. You can be the baddest mutha on the planet and still get jumped by a group of guys, or knifed from behind or shot from a moving vehicle. Unfortunately, many MA classes that claim to teach self-defense only focus on the physical techniques, and then teach them in an unrealistic and half-arsed manner.

Luckily, non-physical self defense skills are easy to learn, and don't necessarily require attending a class. There are plenty of good books on the subject (e.g. Geoff Thompson's stuff). As a primer, I strongly recommend you check out Darren Laur's articles on this very site. A search on his name will find them.

MarkF
25th September 2005, 15:18
If you do a search here, you may find a couple of old threads started by Darren Laur (unless my memory has badly faded which is sometimes the case).

Make sure to have some fun with it along the way. I've found that the self-defense is sort of built in to it and it will rise to the top at the most appropriate time even if your instuctor never mentions terms like "effectiveness, it works, or self-defense." Getting the hell out of there is the best, safest and least likely form of self-defense you will ever learn. There are a hell of a lot of a$$es in the average neighborhood most of whom would run away if you just do something mildly nuts like acting like a gorilla.;)

Mark