PDA

View Full Version : Swordmaking Rituals

Taia Swordsman
11th October 2005, 16:13
Does anyone know where I can find information on the rituals that swordmakers use or used before making a sword. Most of what I have seen is...offer prayers, wear white and perform a purification ritual.

What I'm looking for is the specifics... prayers to whom?, for what?
Is this purely Shinto or are their Buddhist aspects?
What is involved in the purification ritual?
What are the origins of this process?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Finny
11th October 2005, 16:25
As per the E-Budo rules you agreed to when you signed up here, please sign your posts with your full real name.

This can be easily done by adding your name to your signature line in the users cp section.

Taia Swordsman
11th October 2005, 17:22
Oops, sorry about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Mukeido
11th October 2005, 23:47
What I'm looking for is the specifics... prayers to whom?, for what?

Shinto prayers of purification (to various Kami) to ensure that the sword they are forging might provide safety and success in combat for the person who wields it. The sword becomes infused with the abilities and protective powers of the Kami being invoked.

Is this purely Shinto or are their Buddhist aspects?

Although Buddhist images and bonji are sometimes found on blades showing the warriors close connection with Buddhism, the forging of a sword is a purely Shinto ritual. Many forges were attached to jinja and most of the early sword schools too have a connection to a particular Shinto jinja. The sword is part of the sanshu no jingi which signifies courage and power.

What is involved in the purification ritual?

Are you asking for a complete breakdown of the process and the actual ritual used? The individual norito used would of course depend on the jinja to which the smith is attached, the Kami to which he has an affinity, and the time in which the sword is being forged (I'm sure corners were cut when there was a greater demand for larger numbers of swords, like during a military crisis).

What are the origins of this process?

That's like asking for the origin of Shinto or the origin of the Japanese people. Likely you will hear varying accounts and beliefs there. This is shrouded in myth. The sword has always been an instrument of spiritual support for the Japanese. There are many swords still worshipped at jinja across Japan.