PDA

View Full Version : Higaonna No Sai

GojuMaster
20th October 2005, 19:14
Dear E-budo-er,

I found some pictures of an article with Bill Hayes (student of Shimabukoro Eizo) demonstrating a Sai Kata that I've heard labeled "Higaonna No Sai".

Are any of you familiar with the history of this form?

Is is attributed to Higashionna Kanyro?

Are any of you familiar with who has or is passing down this form? (I see that Shimabukoro Sensei's "standard" list of kata does not include this form)

Best Regards,

ryukyu2000
20th October 2005, 23:06
Mr. Smith:

Can you tell me the source of the article you are referencing regarding Hayes Sensei (title, page, year, etc.)? Is it from Official Karate June 1972?

Regards,

Andy Morris
Delmar, NY USA

GojuMaster
20th October 2005, 23:39
Mr. Morris,

Here is the site showing the article:

http://www.bohans-family.com/Kata/hayes/hayes.htm

I sent an email to the address shown, but I am not sure if I will receive a reply from Mr. Hayes. I am curious about this form, and would welcome anyone's information about it and it's history.

Best Regards,

GojuMaster
21st October 2005, 14:47
For anyone who is interested, I did receive a kind and prompt reply from Mr. Hayes.

The short version of what Mr. Hayes kindly passed on to me is that this form was called Chatan Yara No Sai when he was originally taught the form by his teacher Shimabukuro Eizo, who learned it from Taira Shinken.

This form, however, has undergone a name change in Shimabukuro Eizo's organization and is now referred to as Toyei No Sai.

Best Regards,

Dear E-budo-ers,

I found some pictures of an article with Bill Hayes (student of Shimabukoro Eizo) demonstrating a Sai Kata that I've heard labeled "Higaonna No Sai".

Are any of you familiar with the history of this form?

Is is attributed to Higashionna Kanyro?

Are any of you familiar with who has or is passing down this form? (I see that Shimabukoro Sensei's "standard" list of kata does not include this form)

Best Regards,

shisochin#1
21st October 2005, 20:32
I pratice this kata in the style of Motobu ha shito ryu and we call it Chantan yara no Sai. I understand that they is another kata called this aswell. I believe that the one in the artical is Sho and the other I believe starts with one sia in the belt is the Dai version. just a guess.

GojuMaster
21st October 2005, 20:59
Thanks Ron. Every bit adds to the puzzle.

I pratice this kata in the style of Motobu ha shito ryu and we call it Chantan yara no Sai. I understand that they is another kata called this aswell. I believe that the one in the artical is Sho and the other I believe starts with one sia in the belt is the Dai version. just a guess.

Best Regards,

robertmrivers
21st October 2005, 21:03
I have known Sensei Hayes for a little while and was privileged enough to have been shown the kata. It is in fact Chatan Yara no Sai...but now the name has changed. This is not to be confused with Isshin Ryu's Chatan Yara no Sai...they are different. Isshin Ryu founder and Shobayashi Kaicho are brothers, Tatsuo and Eizo Shimabukuro. I also have an old book by Richard Kim...he has BOTH kata in it and calls them Chatan Yara "Sho' and "Dai"...but I don't know of the accuracy of the names, history, or lineage. The other version most people see or have heard about is the Isshin Ryu version.

Best

Rob

Robert M. Rivers
Tri-State Yudanshikai Kenkyukai

Victor Smith
23rd October 2005, 00:14
Interesting discussion about Chantan Yara.

Isshinryu's version is very simliar to the Inoue Motokatsu version found in volume one of Ryukyu Kobudo. In an early 1970's Black Belt Demura Fumio demonstrated a portion of the same Chantan Yara No Sai technique.