PDA

View Full Version : wakazashi iaito

Ronin_21
23rd October 2005, 04:46
I have been looking into getting a wakazashi iaito, whats your guys take on the quality of these swords, I just want one so I can have a daisho, and steel blades are way to expensive. I noticed you can get wakazashi sized versions of most of the swords on bogubag (also where I got my iaito). what do you guys and gals think would be a good place?

O and I was wondering if anyone knows if they come with a groove (hi) or not.

GTO
23rd October 2005, 05:27
If your only motivation is to have a daisho (to look pretty when you deck yourself out for a cosplay or whatnot :p), just get a wallhanger and save yourself a ton of money.

O and I was wondering if anyone knows if they come with a groove (hi) or not.

This will naturally depend on the indivdual blade in question. I can't say I've seen a whole lot of grooved wakizashi, though.

DCPan
23rd October 2005, 05:42
Please check your PM!

Ronin_21
23rd October 2005, 17:27
Ha lol, fat chance ill EVER by a wallhanger. ive seen what those things do, WHEN SMACKED ON A COUNTERTOP! naw an iaito is a well priced, decent quality way to go, espially when I will probably use it for kata when I get higher in the ranks. I dont want something that looks like it was wrapped with shoelaces, plus im trying to make a daisho, cant do that with two different types of swords :)

GTO
23rd October 2005, 22:41
Well then, not much point in making that comment about steel swords, as you'd apparently not get one even if you could afford it. It also seems that your motivation is not *solely* the obtaining of a daisho... would've been nice if you'd mentioned that up front. :p

If you're happy with your iaito, why don't you just get the wakizashi-sized one from the same place? Seems the most reasonable thing to do...

Ronin_21
23rd October 2005, 23:21
I most likely will, I was just checking around to see if certain places shortchanged you on the quality of the shoto models as opposed to the katana.

fallingleaves
24th October 2005, 17:23
Hello,

While I've only had experience with one supplier (Sakura-btw very nice to deal with) from what I've seen there usually is no noticeable difference in quality between Iaito tanken/wakizashi and their larger counterparts when acquired from the same source.

Hope this helps.

F.

pgsmith
24th October 2005, 19:01
Gotta throw one more thing into the mix. Having a perfectly matched daisho is severely overrated. It is akin to having your eyeglasses match your watch when you dress up. Might be good for the impression factor, or for tea with the Queen. Not really necessary for everyday life.

Just my two cents.

Ronin_21
25th October 2005, 00:09
thanks for the advice, I will consider maybe getting a wakazashi thats a bit different than its counterpart, maybe a fancier wrap or saya or crazy hamon or something.

Real Ian
26th October 2005, 19:32
the best place I've seen for getting a custom Iaito .. in any size is :

the high end
http://japanesesword.net/eng/iaito/itar.html

the budget end
http://japanesesword.net/eng/iaito/itb.html

alll their iaito are made by Japanese swordsmiths of 15 years experience. You can cusomize to an unbelievable number of choices. Thus Katana or Wak sizes in 0.05 Shaku increments.

Weights up to 1020 grams (and even higher by request - which they approve by the swordsmith, depending on your other choices) or down to 820 grams (lower by approval)