PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Sword Style In Richmond Va Area?

HimuraBattousai
25th October 2005, 08:22
i was wondering if anyone knew of any sword style schools around the richmond area. i dont expect it to be terribly close, but within a 30-45 min drive would suffice, basically anything thats pretty close. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Alastair Colquhoun

GTO
25th October 2005, 09:24
What do you mean by "sword style?" Kenjutsu? Kendo? Iaido? Classical fencing? Olympic fencing?

You could probably find a dozen schools that teach some manner of sword technique with a quick Google search, but I'll assume that you're looking for something specific. What exactly is it that you're trying to find?

Brian Owens
25th October 2005, 12:09
i was wondering if anyone knew of any sword style schools around the richmond area.
Since you didn't qualify your question by saying which sword art (Kendo, Iaido, Shinkendo, etc.) I assume your only exposure to Japanese Sword Arts is through anime or something similar.

For a dose of reality, as well as a great sport, a lifetime of challenges, and meeting lots of people who may become lifelong friends, I recommend you start with Kendo.

Here's the info for a Kendo club in Richmond:

SEUSKF
Koryo Dojo
10960-F Three Chopt Rd
Richmond, VA

Wednesdays 7:00-8:30PM
Saturdays 1:00-2:30PM

HTH.

Charles Mahan
25th October 2005, 14:51
And I'd recommend a new login name. There are a lot of strong Anime haters, and RK in particular. The forums have been inundated in the last few years with fan boys who insist that Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu and Sakabatou were real and there is usually a lot of screaming and name calling. It get's ugly.

I like the show as much as the next guy, but there are many here who would dismiss you out of hand just for using it.

HimuraBattousai
25th October 2005, 18:45
well the only reason i kept it general and at "sword style" was because of the other thread that was saying how we should search for them. i figured...because of the area i live in, i really dont have a choice to be picky, and would probably be satisfied with any certified instructor. and im sorry my name may be offensive...i couldn't really think of anything else, but i assure you i didn't just watch an anime yesterday and decide i wanted to swing a sword around. ive been interested in japan and japanese culture just about my entire life, but now im ready to take action about it. but if you all think its really that bad, then i will change it.

thanks for your quick responses though! :)

(p.s. i have tried google, and to be honest it has made my head hurt. but i will continue my search here, i was just hoping there may be some more help around here to narrow my search.)

Alastair Colquhoun

chrismoses
25th October 2005, 19:31
well the only reason i kept it general and at "sword style" was because of the other thread that was saying how we should search for them. i figured...because of the area i live in, i really dont have a choice to be picky, and would probably be satisfied with any certified instructor. and im sorry my name may be offensive...i couldn't really think of anything else, [snip]

Alastair Colquhoun

Good call on asking a general question, most people have pretty limited options.

As for the name, I'm going way out on a limb here, how about, "A. Colquhoun" or "Alastair" or "Alastair Colquhoun". ;) Like Charles said, loved the show, but have had WAY too many fanboiz on the forums. You're likely to have some of your posts skipped just because of your name.

gendzwil
25th October 2005, 19:56
Find kendo and iaido through the AUSKF (http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/schools.htm).

niten ninja
25th October 2005, 19:58
You could try the All United States Kendo Federation, they've got a search list of schools, not sure of the website, first option on google though.

Brian Owens
25th October 2005, 23:09
Find kendo and iaido through the AUSKF (http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/schools.htm).

You could try the All United States Kendo Federation, they've got a search list of schools, not sure of the website, first option on google though.
The dojo I listed is the only AUSKF member dojo listed in Richmond.

The auskf.info (http://www.auskf.info/) site is worth visiting anyway. Lots of info on Kendo. And the opening Splash Page is nice. Not sure if that's new since I visted last, or if it's just that my home computer w/ dial-up is too slow to see it. (I accessed it yesterday from a high-speed connection.)

GTO
25th October 2005, 23:24
Sadly, there are a lot of anime haters on e-budo, and it's justified to some extent. If you keep a reasonable attitude and demonstrate that you know more about martial history than "Shinsengumi vs. Isshin Shishi," I think you'll find folks a bit more accomodating than you might expect.

Good luck in your search for a school. Kendo will definitely give you some great physical and mental training, and put you in contact with quite a cool group of people.

If you're interested in the hand-to-hand side as well as the weaponry, there's an Iwama-ryu aikido dojo in Richmond that teaches bokken and jo as well as the usual aikido:

www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/2435/Aikido.html

Of course, you should bear in mind that the aikido guys typically use weapons as a means of studying unarmed principles rather than an end unto itself. As such, their skill therewith tends to be somewhat less than with the dedicated weapons schools. If your only objective is to be able to use a sword more or less handily, kendo is your best bet.