PDA

View Full Version : Professor GM Ron Duncan - Ai-eekijitsu!

Richard Elias
26th October 2005, 07:19
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7191779679&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

:p

Richard Elias
26th October 2005, 07:22
Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Jock Armstrong
26th October 2005, 13:16
You are a bad man Mr Elias.........afrokama......cam pants.....aaaaarrrgghh

Kendoguy9
26th October 2005, 16:30
I made the seller an offer of $20.00 plus shipping for the set. They just laughed at me?!? I mean, I offered them much more then they are worth! Oh well I guess they'd rather hang onto the stock forever?

LOL

aikironin
26th October 2005, 17:28
Isn't he some supposed ninja person??? Sorry, don't mean to sound ignorant, I just remember back in the 80's reading about his students vs Hatusmi's!!!!

jonesm20
26th October 2005, 18:11
No. He is "Aiieeki" Master.

Richard Elias
26th October 2005, 18:26
http://www.wayofthewinds.com/

nicojo
26th October 2005, 18:50
"Plus Koga ryu Ninjutsu"!!!!! Yay!

Thanks for that.

twayman
26th October 2005, 19:06
http://www.wayofthewinds.com/

First thing that comes to mind is bad Mexican food.

Óscar Recio
26th October 2005, 22:02
Well Rich...as you know i´ve seen some of his video tapes at Toby´s place...he should be in the Top Ten of the "Hall fo Shame"

Jeremy Hulley
26th October 2005, 22:40
I love the ninja guys that fall on themselves doing catwheels in the park. An Ron falling out of a tree to break up a mugging..
Classic

icynorth
27th October 2005, 05:17
His machine gun disarms are a little disturbing.

Howard Quick
27th October 2005, 06:49
I'd say the whole thing is disturbing!
I've seen them....over a couple of scotch and cokes. The only way to watch them. Numb the senses first!
They should be paying people to take them away!

Richard Elias
27th October 2005, 19:23
Actually… if you think about it… 7 videos of that kind of comedy is almost worth the price. You couldn’t intentionally make a martial arts instructional video that funny. AND THEY WERE BEING SERIOUS!!!

I’ve seen the ninja one a dozen times and it still never fails to crack me up.

aikironin
27th October 2005, 21:52
Duncan needs to go the way of Dux and Kim as far as the ninja stuff goes. And with whom did he learn his "aiki jujutsu"? He is interesting indeed!

Mark Jakabcsin
28th October 2005, 02:43
Actually… if you think about it… 7 videos of that kind of comedy is almost worth the price.

Richard,
Thanks for the comment. I was getting fairly upset about this entire thread as I own a fair amount of Ebay stock and it hasn't been doing well this year. I look for each product to sell so I can receive my tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of a penny. I mean if Ebay can sell a Dorito chip that looks like Jesus for a couple thousand bucks these crappy......errr....high entertainment value videos should be able to sell as well. :)

Mark J.

MarkF
30th October 2005, 12:43
I made the seller an offer of $20.00 plus shipping for the set. They just laughed at me?!? I mean, I offered them much more then they are worth! Oh well I guess they'd rather hang onto the stock forever?

LOL

Hey, how much is a laugh worth, anyway? I have laughed for far more than twenty bucks.

It may just save your life. :rolleyes:

Mark F.

SBreheney
31st October 2005, 03:18
It's a pity there's only seven discs . . . if there were eight at least they'd make a nice set of coasters for drinks. ;)

JackDkillerflea
5th February 2006, 03:33
I love the ninja guys that fall on themselves doing catwheels in the park. An Ron falling out of a tree to break up a mugging..
Classic

He most assured got the idea from this guy!
http://www.askikir.com/blackdeath/Holy-taisabaki.gif

So this is how Authentic Ninja are supposed to do it, Ah!!!!

Ghost Cat
5th February 2006, 05:31
I love the ninja guys that fall on themselves doing catwheels in the park.

It has been a long time since I watched that tape. I don't remember them falling while doing cartwheels. But there was so many things that were funny that it probably just paled by comparison. My favorite was when Duncan tells one of his attackers to, "take a fall" and the guy throws himself to the ground without anyone touching him.

Oh and guys, take a look at JackDkillerflea's past posts. You can see that he finds the easiest distraction is to attack someone else whenever Duncan's problems are pointed out. You have got to find the post where he tried to claim that Duncan's ninjutsu was recognized in a Japanese magazine, only to have me reveal that it was a Chinese magazine instead.

As Pee Wee Herman once said, "I meant to do that." :rolleyes:

Richard Elias
5th February 2006, 22:04
Sorry Jack, but you're just going to have to come to grips with the fact that in the legit JMA community Ron Duncan is a joke, and a very funny one at that. We have even, on several occasions, gathered in large groups in public venues to watch his videos for comedic entertainment. Some people (Nathan) were practically rolling on the floor in laughter. No one in the martial arts community can top his comedic prowess, though some have come close (American kenjutsu, angry chick with the bo, KMA guy with the geri curl mullet), but none can compare to the great Professor-Grandmaster Osensei Dr. Ronald Duncan.
So get over it.

Neil Yamamoto
5th February 2006, 23:31
Even in the non legit JMA society, Ron Duncan is a running joke. In my entire time in training in JMA and non JMA, I've yet to encounter anyone who provokes such laughter when viewed.

One of the funniest viewings was at the Embassy Suites in Las Vegas that Rich mentions. Nathan was not the only one on the floor cracking up. Up here in Seattle we have had very enjoyable parties with Ron Duncan providing the comic relief for the evening.

So, whatever his talents may be in Martial arts, Ron Duncan is truly a master of comedy. I can hardly wait for Dave Chappelle to get his hands on Ron's tapes and do a parody of him. Oh, wait, there's no way you can make it any more ludicrious than it all ready is. :rolleyes: :)

Samurai Jack
6th February 2006, 18:17
I don't want to damper any ones' good time, but consider this. What isn't funny is people are buying into him and his goods. The fact is even if the world's largest neon sign was exposing R.D. it would not stop people from buying into him, nor his successful notoriety at being at peddling his snake oil wares. Like the saying goes there is a sucker born every minute. It isn't usually quality that rises to the top, but it is those who are able to pawn themselves off, the best. Finding that right marketing mix to keep people coming to you and talking about you now and well after you die, can create legitimacy. It isn't hard to do in the martial arts. This voodoo has and will always be a part of martial arts, as in today's world we are civilized, the only proof you need is the result of a smooth P.R. campaign that gives you that "image." As they say in Hollywood, bad publicity is good publicity, what you don't want is people NOT talking about you.

Neil Yamamoto
6th February 2006, 19:43
And it's called a filtering system.

After a while, you get to the point where you realize there is nothing that can be done about the frauds, except to expose them, laugh about them, and get on with your own training.

People who buy into what Ron Duncan and others throw out there may be mislead and that's a shame. What does anyone propose? Create a board to oversee all arts? They already exist and most have degenerated into the same thing, a big pile of steaming political cxxp. Have the government document it all and you must register? OK, it's called a business license. Use those tools applying to business to expose these guys.

As an example. There is a guy up here in Seattle who teaches what he calls Mxxxxo ryu. Guy is a fraud in my opinion. What to do? I can take him to the Better Business Bureau to start. I can invest my own time and money in suing him for fraud. I can go and gather his ex students and do a joint effort to expose him. All perfectly legal and an open option to anyone who cares to invest the time and energy into the cause.

And to what end cause? He shuts down and opens up again in another location outside my realm of awareness with a well deserved time off in between closing the old location and reopening in a new location. If exposing and stopping a person from fraud is that important to you, then take the responsibility to do something about it.

Or, I can go and teach my students, shake my head, and laugh at the idiocy.

I can think of a lot of other questionable people, just in the Seattle area:

One guy who teaches what he calls "shin-koryu".

Another guy who claims to jump off buildings.

Another guy up started in an aikido based art and now is a dojo-cho of a ninjutsu school with only minimal training, about - a year before he opened the ninjutusu dojo.

Another guy who was expelled from an organization as a shodan and is now part of another organization as a shodan. And is running an uchideshi program out of his house. Where they have Sunday bible study sessions as part of the program.

Another guy who runs a temple and has large corporations backing him. Yet he has no legitimate martial arts training that anyone can find beyond some time in the Ki Society in California. He is legit in his temple efforts though. From personable observation, this same guy would sometimes light up a doobie before class and down a shot or two during class on ocassion.

Another guy who has fully provable credentials in CMA, but on weekends has his childrens class come to his house for special training. Which consisted of mowing his lawn, washing his cars, and then going for a couple mile jog, and 15 minutes of horse stance training on the lawn. All for the bargin price of $85 per month. Cheap baby sitting for a couple hours on a Saturday. This last one may not be going on any longer, it used to when I lived 1/2 mile away.

There is no way to really stop it. You can keep saying it's fake, and some people will sign up anyway. And you can't stop them until those people choose to think.

Or you can train, shake your head, and laugh at the idiocy. Find your own balance of these options.

Mike Haftel
6th February 2006, 20:14
I love watching videos like this. Always a good laugh. I think the last one I saw that put a smile on my face was Nodan and the other one called Mastering the Samurai Sword.

Also, I saw this cool package deal in Wal-Mart a few months ago that came with a mini punching bag, a Video, a gi, a black belt, a certificate, some gloves, and a placemat type thing that you put on the ground and had little feet on them to show positions for movement. It was for little kids, but still...a little unsettling.

aikironin
6th February 2006, 20:31
Isn't that how Duncans videos are packaged????? LOL....

But would he be in a Wal Mart or a pawn shop??

Kolschey
7th February 2006, 02:29
I just find it amazing that a guy like this is even a subject of debate.

On the other hand my best analogy is this...If there was a small town in Minnesota where no one knew what authentic Russian food was, an unscrupulous entrepreneur could no doubt create a restaurant of "authentic" Ukrainian cuisine. :rolleyes:

Anyone who had been to Russia/Eastern Europe for any length of time would immediately recognize that this was just beef sautéed in hot pepper.

Anyone with who had even dated someone from Eastern Europe for any length of time would have a serious WTF moment.

Certainly anyone of true Ukrainian background would shake their head and wonder how on earth such a nation of nincompoops who can't understand any cultures beyond their oceanic borders, let alone their own indigenous peoples, somehow survived and prospered beyond the Cold War.

I think this analogy should be pretty clear.

My two cents... :)

Nathan Scott
7th February 2006, 02:43
Lads, make no mistake. I have the full GM Ron Duncan video collection. It is the core of what I call my BB Video Soden.

All I can say is that I did not know that such talent existed, and that these videos immediately replaced Caddy Shack, Shakes the Clown, and the my Three Stooges collection on the coveted top shelf of my video rack. I can't recommend these videos to you enough. Search e-bay and feel good about supporting the arts with your financial contributions. If you already have them, consider giving them out as gifts during those special occasions. It is one of those gifts that keeps giving. It just never, never gets old.

Viewings available by appointment only.

As far as prospective students and "suckers", a sucker is a naive person who buys into something by being deceived. There is ample information on the net about this individual, and e-budo is still the first stop people make for MA discussions. A person who joins a group that mis-represents themselves when the truth is freely available to them is not an innocent person being fooled, but either a fool or someone simply seeking to pursue a fantasy. In that regard, I'll concede that it takes all types, but I will say that I do fear for the safety of the general public. I guess it's a good thing that my job is not in NY! ;)

Respectfully submitted on this day of the Lord,

Howard Quick
7th February 2006, 11:14
Hey Nathan,
I'd like to make a viewing appointment.
Some time in April would be good!
"Ching"..."Ching" "The Yubi bo".
:mst: :laugh:

Carlos Estrella
7th February 2006, 16:13
If you think the tapes look "good," try LIVE. I was at the Empire State Karate Championships when I was a kid on Long Island, and saw Duncan in action. I was a green belt in TKD at the time, competing (fighting) in my first big tournament. The night before was a special demo with people like Malia Bernal (then Dacascos) and others. The book "Clan of Death" had just come out and Duncan was both in that one and Official Karate (I think) back then, so I was VERY excited to see him - an "authentic ninja!" Well...

His hands ARE fast! I don't know what the heck they were doing but they were.

I didn't know why he was using a nine sectional whip chain as a ninja, but it looked cool to see him hop off of his back in some "feat."

I'd never seen someone do over 200 moves in the space of two minutes. I also didn't see how any of them would have actually worked - then again I was only a green belt and maybe didn't see the hidden techniques that would have disabled his attackers (and there were a lot of them).

Basically, the only thing I've seen that compares are the demos in the movie "Sidekicks" with Chuck Norris. Now, with a few more decades of MA experience under my belt, I'm STILL trying to figure out what those moves would have done in an actual encounter. Maybe I need to stop by Nathan's to look at the tapes <g>.

FWIW,

Carlos

Tenshin Taka
8th February 2006, 16:55
I have had the oppertunity to train with two of Duncan's Students. Both of witch where two of the best american Martial Artist that I have ever worked under one of witch I trained with for over 5 years until his untimely death. I have not seen the tapes that you are talking about but I have seen Ron Duncan and Ron Duncan Jr. in action and they both have a very good understanding of there martial art. They do not or have they ever to my knowlage said that they trained in dito-ryu aikijujitsu so there fore you can not compare the two. We as martial artist must learn to the diffrent martial arts rather than the person we all can learn something from anything. this is the way of the bushi.

Tenshin Takashina

George Kohler
8th February 2006, 17:55
Tenshin Takashina

Jaron Burch,

Why is it that you are signing your name as Tenshin Takashina? It is a rule here on E-Budo to sign your posts with your REAL name. After this, if you continue to use the other name I will delete your post and place you in E-Budo Hell.

Richard Elias
8th February 2006, 18:54
No offence Jaron, but you need to get around more if that's what you consider the best America has to offer.

“We as martial artist must learn to the diffrent martial arts rather than the person we all can learn something from anything. this is the way of the bushi.”

HUH???????

Nathan Scott
8th February 2006, 21:38
Mr. Burch,

I always welcome opposing points of views or experiences to our threads, so feel free to express yours here. I will say a couple of things in response though. Mr. Duncan Sr. on his video tapes doesn't actually say where he learned "ai-eekijutsu", but the art he demonstrates uses that name, and he discusses the history of ai-eekijutsu as having been passed through Takeda Takeminu, which I can only assume is supposed to be "Tokimune". In other words, the lineage he claims for ai-eekijutsu is the same lineage the Ditto-ryu ai-eekijutsu claims. I would, however, be quite curious to learn who exactly Mr. Duncan Sr. claims as his teachers though (specifically).

And for what it's worth, I for one happen to fully appreciate Duncan clan's contribution to the martial art world. The more experience you have in martial arts, the more you will enjoy his teachings. Honto ni omoshidoi desu ("really great stuff" in Japanese).

Yours in the spirit of the ancient bushido,

Ron Tisdale
8th February 2006, 22:09
Nathan, sometimes you really crack me up. :)

Best,
Ron

henjoyuko
8th February 2006, 23:28
Honto ni omoshidoi desu ("really great stuff" in Japanese).

Dear Mr. Scott,

While I agree with the facts and the tenor of your courteous (albeit humorous) response to the gentleman in question, I believe you made a small mistake with your Japanese, or perhaps it was just a romaji error.

I believe the word you were intending to use is “omoshiroi” ??? [?????] meaning ‘interesting or amusing.’

Of course the usage of ‘omoshidoi’ might not be out of context at all within the vernacular of ai-eekijutsu! Having no experience with ai-eekijutsu I wouldn’t know and would probably hesitate to say even if did know not wishing to raise the ire of those who can kill with just a look. In fact please just disregard this whole message . . . its like the wind . . . it’s nuthin!

(Hmmm it doesn't look like the Kanji and Hiragana are showing up but you get the idea I think.)

Respectfully,
Allen Beebe

Nathan Scott
9th February 2006, 00:00
Mr. Beebe,

Thanks for catching the typo. I am aware of how omoshiroi can be translated, but thanks anyway. ;)

Walker
9th February 2006, 00:43
Don't worry Nathan, I'll torture him with my pronunciation some this evening. Leave it to me. He'll get his... :cool:

henjoyuko
9th February 2006, 01:04
Nathan- Sorry about the typo thing. D and R do have close keyboard addresses don't they! Wasn't intending to be a butt. :)

Doug - I will quickly cartwheel away before I hear you! :p

It will be just like the passing of wind . . .