PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Leather indoor Tabi

Onikusari
24th May 2000, 21:38
I found a good supplier of leather tabi right here in the USA. There website is http://www.ambersports.com/ninjatabiboots.html

There good quality and affordable too.

Rob K.

Tetsutaka
25th May 2000, 14:55
Have you seen or tried a pair? Are they really indoor tabi? [ie, cotton soles - I don't think so, but would be cool nonetheless] If you've seen them up close, what are the soles made of?

------------------
Houston Haynes (http://home.nc.rr.com/houstonandjulie)
"You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Onikusari
25th May 2000, 17:15
I bought a pair and they are nice quality indoor tabi with leather soles. I can only wonder if the leather will slide on some indoor surfaces like carpet. The dojo I go to is a gymnastic's studio with a padded cloth surface. Oh well, it they slide then I just have to learn proper balance. http://216.10.1.92/ubb/wink.gif

Rob K.

------------------
"In truth, lies. In lies, truth."

Ronin
25th May 2000, 17:43
these look to be a nice pair too.
http://www.martialartsupply.com/Apparel/Shoes/Mat_Tabi_High_Top_w__Velcro/mat_tabi_high_top_w__velcro.html

------------------
Chris Neville

Tetsutaka
25th May 2000, 19:42
No no no no noooooooooooooo

Those crappy things will tear up at the first turn.

------------------

Onikusari
25th May 2000, 19:51
I bought a pair of those tabis sold by Tew's online store. They are Kwon brand tabis, but ordering from Tew Ryu is a hassle and not worth the time. Besides, the pair I finally got from them was a pair of two left foot tabi. To keep from having to send them back and probably never get an exchange in a reasonable time, I simply had a good friend of mine with a sewing machine and the know-how to "adjust" one of them to a right foot tabi.

The only reason I bought this current pair from AmberSports is to check out the quality. This pair is a lot better in my opinion. I recommend them to anyone interested in buying a nice pair of indoor tabi.

Rob K.

BTW, I find it funny that the only US supplier of the high quality Kwon tabi is a fake ninjutsu org like Tew Ryu.

------------------

Evan London
25th May 2000, 20:12
I just recieved a large order I made from Andrew Young at Ascending Budo in Noda. The web site is: http://www.graycastle.com/asc.budo/

The Tabi are ankle height suede bottomed and nave blue in color. Several guys at my dojo already have the same pair and really love them The few times I've gotten to wear mine so far I've been pleased with them. They tend to last about 6 -8 months according to one of my friends. Mr. Young has been great and at using the faster method of shipment they got here in a week and a half.

Ev

E Funderburg
25th May 2000, 21:29
As far as the Amber leather-bottom tabi on carpet go, I did use them once on short carpet right after I first bought them. When someone went to brake my balance, I felt like I was sliding around on ice and could offer no resistance at all to the takedown. I was told at the time that the traction improves after you wear them for a while and scuff the bottoms up a bit. However I haven't trained on carpet since then, so I don't know how true that is.

------------------
Ellen Funderburg

Tetsutaka
26th May 2000, 12:58
Hey Ellen,

Thanks for the updates. The upper part of the tabi. Are they cloth, in the same fashion as the rubber soled?

Thanks,
Houston

------------------

E Funderburg
27th May 2000, 04:34
Houston,
The tops are actually a very sturdy canvas material.
Also, if you are going to order some, you might consider ordering one size larger than you think you need. They're measured in European sizes and while I should be 39, I needed a 40. Also, I had a friend who ordered some and found he needed a 43 instead of his usual 42.

Onikusari
27th May 2000, 06:33
Has anyone washed these Ambersport's tabi? I'm not sure if the leather should be washed. However, my pair of tabi are half size or so larger than my foot.

Rob K.

------------------

Tetsutaka
29th May 2000, 23:08
Thanks for the word, Ellen.

Rob,

Foir washing leather, I would stick with good ole fashioned saddle soap and watter in a sink [NOT the kitchen sink -- NOT the kitchen sink - says my wife http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif]. You can finish the uppers any way you like, but I can't really tell until I see a pair in person.

But hand wash, and hang up to dry. It's just one of thise thing ya got ta do.

------------------

skippee84
7th February 2007, 20:12
Does anyone know where i can find all leather indoor tabi. My Sensei Ed Martin used to sell them a couple of years ago but hasn't since then. Not sure if they're off the market or what. But i want a pair...bad. Also, if anyone knows any people who make custom tabi such as these, that would be appreciated as well. Soke's uke for the 2003 Tai Kai in St. Louis (Yabanaka-san, i think) had a pair on for the Tai Kai. Those are the kind i'm talking about.

saru1968
7th February 2007, 22:40
Wow thats the biggest bump I've ever seen.

Only one person i know does custom Tabi but after getting them i can't in good faith recommend them.

Mind you if you have small feet say a UK 7-8 i have a pair you can buy....

:-)

Evan London
8th February 2007, 01:19
I've tried just about every make of suede-soled tabi out there (including the Kwon and Andrew Young brands) and they've all fell apart after a few months. They usually rip where the suede sole and cotton upper meet, which is always too low on the foot to be protected from contact with the ground.

While I must say I do love them, at $30-40 a pop every 3 months or so, it gets way too expensive. I quit buying them and just stick to wearing very tight black or navy blue ankle socks. They are slippery on any surface, but that makes me really conscious of my footwork and weight placement. An excellent training tool and available at your localk Walmart for 4 pair for 6 dollars!

Ev

BlackPaladin
8th February 2007, 01:24
I've tried just about every make of suede-soled tabi out there (including the Kwon and Andrew Young brands) and they've all fell apart after a few months. They usually rip where the suede sole and cotton upper meet, which is always too low on the foot to be protected from contact with the ground.

While I must say I do love them, at $30-40 a pop every 3 months or so, it gets way too expensive. I quit buying them and just stick to wearing very tight black or navy blue ankle socks. They are slippery on any surface, but that makes me really conscious of my footwork and weight placement. An excellent training tool and available at your localk Walmart for 4 pair for 6 dollars!

Ev

You could look into getting a mate/friend with a sewing machine sew some suede (purchased from the fabric store and cut to shape) onto those Wal-Mart generic socks, and you would be in even better shape.

Kikbaq
14th February 2007, 18:31
Wow, Awesome!!!!

Budoka plugging Wal-Mart! Well since I happen to work at one, I will try and suggest the type I think are nice for mat/tatami/hardwood use.There are some STARTER brand sub-ankle type socks that are white and grey or black and grey that have a ribbed pattern over the instep and a double padded sole that are incredible for indoor training.

I cant quote a price, but I am picking up a few more pair on payday. Seems like they are sold by the pair.

The only thing that would make these cooler is modifying them into suede soled tabi, as was just suggested.

saru1968
14th February 2007, 20:28
Socks sold by the pair what a great idea :rolleyes:

:)

Kikbaq
14th February 2007, 20:29
Ha ha ha, I meant as opposed to multi-packs of several pairs. At most department stores it is quite possible to purchase more than one pair of socks in a package... :rolleyes: I asked for that didnt I? :)

saru1968
14th February 2007, 21:33
I asked for that didnt I? :)

Yep, i was just going to suggest the same idea for the selling of Gloves..

:)

Kikbaq
14th February 2007, 22:08
Or pantyhose, earplugs, and shoes for that matter :)

saru1968
14th February 2007, 22:36
pantyhose? as in knickers..funny to call them a pair...but i suppose a pair of legs goes in them..lol

anyhow far too much off topic..

:p

Kikbaq
15th February 2007, 02:22
ok, fair enough...

Brian Owens
15th February 2007, 03:55
pantyhose? as in knickers..funny to call them a pair...but i suppose a pair of legs goes in them..lol
Yes, an oddity of the Engish language. We speak of a pair of pants, but not a pair of shirts; or a pair of briefs, but not a pair of t-shirts.

Even in your example, you said "knickers" -- not "knicker."

saru1968
15th February 2007, 11:37
Yes, an oddity of the Engish language. We speak of a pair of pants, but not a pair of shirts; or a pair of briefs, but not a pair of t-shirts.

Even in your example, you said "knickers" -- not "knicker."

prob just the oddity of the British..lol

ElfTengu
15th February 2007, 11:41
And once you get onto people with one leg it's really confusing.

Do they wear a trouser or a pant?

Brian Owens
15th February 2007, 12:02
And once you get onto people with one leg it's really confusing.

Do they wear a trouser or a pant?
And, did they cut off one leg of the garment with a....(drum roll, please)...pair of scissors? (What, one in each hand?)

ERCAN
20th March 2007, 13:51
There is a new Tabi store on the net. You can find %100 leather Tabis (for indoor training). They are strong and durable. I know that cause I use them too.
Check here www.leathertabi.net

Gambatte