PDA

View Full Version : Training With Compound Fractures

Jason Chambers
27th November 2000, 22:28
Has anyone had trouble with training due to this type of injury.

My right humerus (upper arm) was broken in half in an accident 6 years ago. A plate and six screws were the solution. It still bothers me after a workout to this day.

Onikudaki
28th November 2000, 19:35
Hello!
As a Physical Therapist, I really enjoy "Budo and the Body".

I will say, as one who rehabs athletes professionally, that your question is rather general and i would hesitate to give you advice over the internet. Also, according to the physical therapy practice act, i believe it is actually considered unethical!

But i will pass out my fair share of general information. OK, more than my fair share. I think you should consult an orthopaedic surgeon (preferably the MD who repaired it) and get their opinion. If you don't have access to the original doc, then i say grab all your xray films and get yourself an appointment with another one.

And, to anyone reading this thread, please be careful what advice you follow concerning your health when it comes from this sort of source. Including advice from Physical Therapists with lousy Taijutsu!

Good luck...

kinonagare
28th November 2000, 21:23
Kokujin,
The best advice I can give would be listen carefully to your body and train as hard as it will allow you to. I was told following a severe motorcycle accident several years ago that I would never walk again. I had multiple compund comminuted fractures including 136 individual breaks to my left tibia and fibula alone. Two years of casts, traction and physical therapy later I began the long road back to what my physical shape was before my accident.
To answer your question I am still not there, it has been dificult and frustrating, my shikko and suwariwaza still suck but my ukemi gets better everyday. I have learned that the abilities and the body I used to have do not exist any more and have learned to accept my limitations and exploit my strengths. After six years your hardware is now a part of your body any other limitations should be purely mental.

MarkF
29th November 2000, 00:15
Jason C.,
Yes, definitely get all your "pictures" and get your medical records, everything which goes with the x-rays.

An opinion from the original surgeon would be good, but two or three other opinions as well, may be better.

Another piece of advice, which happened to a loved one. Have you ever though of having the screws removed? I don't know your arrangement, but some people, well after healing, have these removed, and it does help some. It may not be a good idea yet, but you may want to think on it, if a surgeon says it may help the pain. Sometimes, the treatment is worse then the disease.

Something I heard in a movie when a guy went into the ER for sutures after a knife fight: "Pain don't hurt." This was when offered a local for the staples. He does have a point. And also "Rules?" In a knife fight? There are no rules in a knife fight."

Mark

MarkF
29th November 2000, 00:25
Kinonagare,
Welcome to the forum!:) Please note the forum rules, andsign your posts with your full name. Using the signature box feature is the easiest way. You should find the forum rules, when you register, if not, they are on the bottom and top of most pages.

Hope the see you posting more at E-budo!:wave:

Mark