PDA

View Full Version : Any Iaido in northwest PA?

Red Ink
7th November 2005, 02:27
I'm having difficulty finding iaido dojos in my area. Does anyone know of any in the northwest Pennsylvania area?

Thanks to all,

Budoka 34
7th November 2005, 04:01
Nicholas,

Sorry to say I think your best bet will be all the way down in Pittsburgh, unless there is someone I'm not fimiliar with up there, which is possible.
With the exception of one or two decent Karate dojo and possible Judo it's really tough finding any traditional arts in that part of PA.

Good Luck!

BTW I used to climb up in your area, a place called Panther caves.

Red Ink
7th November 2005, 17:13
Alright. I'll continue looking around.

Thanks,

louroberto
5th December 2005, 20:57
Check this site
www.aikidoseishinkan.org

Budoka 34
6th December 2005, 04:37
Wrong end of the state. :)

Erik Tracy
6th December 2005, 16:39
I'm having difficulty finding iaido dojos in my area. Does anyone know of any in the northwest Pennsylvania area?

Thanks to all,

Nicholas,
Is Kingston close enough to you?

If so, then might I recommend Carl Long Sensei (Renshi) who represents Shimabukuro Sensei (Hanshi) and the Jikishin-kai for Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu iai-jutsu?

Long Sensei is an excellent instructor and really knows his budo!

Regards,
Erik Tracy
Jikishin-kai San Diego

Budoka 34
6th December 2005, 19:01
Erik,

Is that the Kingston near Pittsburg or the one near Wilks Barre?

I believe I met Long Sensei in 2000.

Erik Tracy
6th December 2005, 19:14
Long Sensei's dojo in Kingston is the one close to Wilkes Barre.

Erik

tddeangelo
6th December 2005, 20:52
You might try looking in western New York state, if you're waaaaaay out there near Erie. Considering that even the trees get bored out there, I'd guess you've got a commute on your hand for training. (Joking.....down here near Reading, the Erie area is considered only slightly less remote than the dark side of the moon).

I've also met Carl Long several times, spoken to him on the phone, and conversed via email with him. He's a great guy. While I've never attended a class given by him, I don't think anyone will dispute his reputation as an outstanding teacher of budo.

I do know that there's a woman in Wellsboro who is or will be driving to Kingston for training (there or Pottsville, where one of Mr. Long's students teaches). Maybe a carpool possibility?

Something else just came to mind, too..... there is a kendo dojo in Rochester NY run by sons of my iaido sensei, who also teaches kendo. He's moved back to Japan, but his sons and other students maintain his dojo and projects he was working on, like the Rochester dojo. Maybe you can get into iai there, if that's commutable for you? My own training is in Stroudsburg, which is of absolutely NO help to you, I'm sure.

Good Luck!