PDA

View Full Version : European Jodo Championships

Andy Watson
7th November 2005, 11:42
GB wins the gongs again last week in Bologna Italy. For the third year running we took gold. The team consisted of Steve Boyes (4d), Peter Gibbens (2d)and myself (4d). The final was up against the Netherlands who also put up a strong fight.

I also took the 4th dan individual gold with my colleague Nashie getting the 5th dan.

Greetings to all that made it for iai or jo and hope to see you all again in the near future. I am sure the official report will soon be released by CIK but this was just a call once more for the British National Anthem.

"God save our..." etc

MikeWilliams
7th November 2005, 11:45
Nice one - congratulations!

Mike Clarke
8th November 2005, 00:52
Hi Andy.
Do you kindly have any links to videos? Or could you kindly give a brief explanation of what is involved in Jo competitions? Do you wear any protective equipment? I have been whacked/jabbed a few times by a jo (my inattention) and the memory still makes me wince.

Many thanks

Aden
8th November 2005, 02:19
Hi Mike - seeing your location is Sydney I had to butt in - the next (and first that I know of :) ) ZNKR jodo competition in NSW is next January at Wollongong for the Iaido / Jodo national seminar / championships / grading for the Australian Kendo Renmei Iaido and Jodo sections.

The Europeans do things a bit differently to us since we have no individual placings, competing as pairs - but in Australia in essence we do a set of 5 kata - going through twice, each person doing jo and tachi sides - no protective equipment in jodo - assesment including the weapon exchange. We have 2 pairs go at a time, 3 judges - majority decision eliminates one pair.

Congratulations to Andy and Co. Results are up on the Italian website but its not very informative for us outsiders.... the rules for the competition were at

http://www.ec2005.it/rules/JodoRR_EC2005.pdf

Regards

Aden

ScottUK
8th November 2005, 13:37
Well done... :p

Mike Clarke
11th November 2005, 23:56
Aden:
Thanks for filling me in. I was picturing free style bouts with jo.

Regards

Mike

stephanie_dee
17th November 2005, 00:20
Well done you!

Andy Watson
17th November 2005, 10:10
Stephanie

Is that your eye in your avatar?

stephanie_dee
21st November 2005, 21:42
Stephanie

Is that your eye in your avatar?

Erm, no it's not! Why do you ask?

JAnstey
22nd November 2005, 02:22
Erm, no it's not! Why do you ask?

Yea Andy, why DO you ask?

Cheers

Jason

PS. Well done on the Taikai mate.

Andy Watson
22nd November 2005, 09:04
I was just thinking it was a very pretty eye. Sorry, not forum flirting, just an observation.