PDA

View Full Version : Terry Dukes/Nagaboshi Tomio

Harry Cook
15th November 2005, 16:38
For those who might be interested I have just heard that Terry Dukes, aka 'Nagaboshi Tomio', the author of the spurious Bohdisattva Warriors recently died in the UK from congestive heart failure.
Harry Cook

George Kohler
16th November 2005, 06:08
Do I see you grinning, Harry? :)

Andrew S
16th November 2005, 10:02
Must have been that mental dim mak I've been practicing unconciously... :p

jfkcotter
16th November 2005, 10:58
I hear the Master Otomo (now in his nineties) has agreed to travel from the Okinawan monastery to UK especially to officiate at the funeral service.

Mike Clarke
17th November 2005, 03:22
Harry:

I am sort of picking bits and pieces from that book. Why spurious?

Regards

Patrick McCarthy
18th November 2005, 22:24
Harry, folks,

Mr. Cotter...I am wondering if you could tell me what Mr. Otomo is a master of? Also, what monastery in Okinawa is it you speak of?

Jim Cotter wrote, "I hear the Master Otomo (now in his nineties) has agreed to travel from the Okinawan monastery to UK especially to officiate at the funeral service."

jfkcotter
19th November 2005, 08:27
Mr. Cotter...I am wondering if you could tell me what Mr. Otomo is a master of? Also, what monastery in Okinawa is it you speak of?
Harry has all the details Mr. McCarthy. :)

Patrick McCarthy
19th November 2005, 17:19
Harry?

Jim Cotter wrote, "Harry has all the details Mr. McCarthy."

jfkcotter
19th November 2005, 20:12
Harry?

Jim Cotter wrote, "Harry has all the details Mr. McCarthy."
I'm sure you know i mean Harry Cook. The story of Terry Dukes and his Okinawan Masters is a favorite of Harrys.

BTW Harry Cook- wonder if another Harry, Harry Benfield will be attending the funeral. He has much cause to remember the 1st Mushindo/OAS competition in Chesterfield. I was front row it was splendid!!

Patrick McCarthy
19th November 2005, 21:40
Yes...I do know that it is Cook Sensei.... my informal "Harry?" was referring to him [as in, "Harry can you apprise me?"].

I don't know Mr. Dukes but I did read his book the same year it was published. I thought the Buddhist-related intel was informative however three issues that bothered me, as a researcher, about the way he attempted to tie his quanfa~karate theories together, were; #1. The "secret" Itosu Family Records, #2. The "secret" Kin Family Records and the "secret" Otomo Records. Now, I hear about the Okinawan Monastery...hmm, I just have to hear about this one.

BTW, after I read his book, I wrote to Mr. Dukes but my queries were never satisfactorily
responded to. To date, these three unverifiable sources remain suspect.

I am afraid that merely saying/writing something [especially when it’s conveniently self-serving] is not the same as actually historical/factual corroborating testimony or evidence. One must cite [verifiable] sources to be taken seriously.

QUOTE:
I'm sure you know i mean Harry Cook. The story of Terry Dukes and his Okinawan Masters is a favorite of Harrys.

Mike Clarke
22nd November 2005, 05:49
Messrs Cook and others:
Having finally waded through the thread on Dukes in the archives I can understand why this subject hardly needs raking over. Thank you for the heads up. I will continue reading the book (having purchased it) with added scepticism. It is not practical (and in most cases, not possible) for me to check the veracity of his sources. I accept that others with more time and knowledge have done this and they are found wanting.

Regards

DenCQB
12th May 2012, 14:20
"wonder if another Harry, Harry Benfield will be attending the funeral. "

Unfortunately, Harry Benfield died in April 2009, after a lengthy illness.