PDA

View Full Version : Booted offline in mid-post

Gil Gillespie
29th November 2000, 03:19
Recently I completed a post of several paragraphs only to discover I had been booted offline and could not connect to the forum to post. Not knowing what to do I lost the entire piece in cyberspace. Is there any help anyone could give me? I understand: "You talk too much anyway! Good riddance and stay gone!" OK I can work with that. . . But is there any way to remedy that unpredictable problem?

John Lindsey
29th November 2000, 04:26
For long posts, I try and compose it in Word and then cut and paste into the message. Sounds like the server or your connection timed out.

hyaku
29th November 2000, 06:23
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gil Gillespie
[B]Recently I completed a post of several paragraphs only to discover I had been booted offline and could not connect to the forum to post. Not knowing what to do I lost the entire piece in cyberspace. Is there any help anyone could give me? I understand: "You talk too much anyway! Good riddance and stay gone!" OK I can work with that. . . But is there any way to remedy that unpredictable problem?

I aways save mine bit by bit. I sometimes write from a computer behind a firewall and even words like favorite seem to get blocked. Write the whole lot, send it and get a
SONIC WALL sign.

Hyakutake Colin

MarkF
29th November 2000, 07:26
Drives you nuts, doesn't it Gil? John's suggestion is what I do, except I put it on notepad or wordpad. Once in a while, though you get carried away and just as you click, you lose your connection. What has paid off lately though, is being on line at this time instead of real folks time.:)

Mark

Joseph Svinth
29th November 2000, 09:52
For shorter posts, try blocking the entire post using <CTRL-C> before hitting send. That way if the thing crashes mid-post, you still have it saved.

And yes, it is also my experience that two in the morning does result in far fewer disconnects than two in the afternoon.

Gil Gillespie
29th November 2000, 13:29
OK, I'll buy that cut & pasting from Word is the way to go. Now, how do I do that? When I clicked onto this "Post Reply" area I see nothing that enables me to import copy from Word? I know this is second hand to all you computer guys but I'm still a toddler at all this. How do I import and post previously written copy from Word or from a file?

I really appreciate your patience and assistance.

Paul Schweer
29th November 2000, 14:46
Originally posted by Gil Gillespie
OK, I'll buy that cut & pasting from Word is the way to go. Now, how do I do that?

Hi Gil,

Once you have it just the way you want it in Word, go to the menu and select Edit then SelectAll. Everything should be highlighted now. If so, press the C key while holding down the Ctrl key.

Now, go to E-Budo and click one time in the YourReply area. You should now see a blinking cursor in the YourReply area. If so, press the V key while holding down the Ctrl key.

Good luck,

Paul Schweer

Gil Gillespie
30th November 2000, 13:04
Thanks, Paul. I knew I could count on you. You'll be the first to know how all this works out. . .