PDA

View Full Version : Ascetic?

Light Samurai
23rd November 2005, 18:16
Are there any other Ascetic's here?

Just curious.

I'm curently adopting this plan:

a.) To not eat or drink all today.

b.) To spend most of the day (At least four hours total.) in Meditation.

c.) To try and remain silent.

So far, I only have about 25 minutes. I've eaten... I'm not sure if I ate today, actually. Not that it matters, since I won't be eating in the future.

I'll be happy to update this as I go along.

I may even meditate in front of the computer.

Peace.

EDIT: I have mediated for one hour in front of the computer. - 11/25/05

EDIT: I just now went outside, shirtless, barefooted and wearing long gi pants, and satyed out there for about two minutes. The temptaure, with wind is around 20-25, according to my guess.

Chuck.Gordon
23rd November 2005, 18:22
To be perfectly honest, I suspect that typing on a computer would violate the spirit of silence ...

No, really.

Light Samurai
23rd November 2005, 18:24
To be perfectly honest, I suspect that typing on a computer would violate the spirit of silence ...

No, really.
It's more physcal silence, really, as in speech.

Peace.

Light Samurai
23rd November 2005, 18:28
I do also want to mention that meditating in front od the compute ris light meditation, when off of it, the "hardcore" stuff comes in.

Peace.

don
23rd November 2005, 23:14
Apropos of nothing in particular, anyone remember that protest against...was it Apartheid? undertaken at Harvard some years ago?

They sponsored a RELAY hunger strike! A whole hour without food! Imagine that...

Light Samurai
23rd November 2005, 23:16
Apropos of nothing in particular, anyone remember that protest against...was it Apartheid? undertaken at Harvard some years ago?

They sponsored a RELAY hunger strike! A whole hour without food! Imagine that...
One hours isn't bad. I went for about four hours. Last summer, I could go all day.

Peace.

jailess
24th November 2005, 13:53

Just curious...

...Peace.

What are you doing this for? and how are you supporting yourself while you're doing this?

A day without food? Does coffee count....?

yoj
24th November 2005, 14:41
Does coffee count....?

If it does count, does it count beans?

ulvulv
24th November 2005, 15:33
remember to Count Dracula.

Light Samurai
24th November 2005, 16:03
What are you doing this for? and how are you supporting yourself while you're doing this?

A day without food? Does coffee count....?
Food, and drink. I do admit to giving into the above. I will not lie, I did end up eating a bowl of soup, and so Orange Juice.

Peace.

(The rest I did fine with.)

MikeWilliams
24th November 2005, 17:14
Whoopee. A whole day on just a bowl of soup and a glass of OJ. You must be so proud. And in total silence too, except for surfing the web and posting to message boards.

fifthchamber
25th November 2005, 04:11
Mike?
It ain't just me is is?This kid is kinda fruity?Right?I mean..I'm Diabetic and have gone longer than that without eating..What the hell is going on here?
And if he really wants to go a day without talking tell him to come to Tokyo..It's easy here..Unless mumbling counts..But then, if he can get away with typing while in meditation I would presume that it is..Speaking in another language may also be okay..
Wow...This IS the end of the world isn't it?
Hehe...

taken67
26th November 2005, 18:18
For me and most people I have talked to about meditation, it <i>can be</i> about the physicality of "not eating" and "not speaking". But more so it is about disciplining the mind to not engage with the outside world. So in my opinion to truly enter a state of meditation, you would need to turn off the computer, the television, the phone, the radio etc... and be alone in your body and mind.

And what is light meditation? I've never heard of that. No sarcasm just curious.

Inazuma
1st December 2005, 02:25
try judaism's yom kipur if you're into this kinda thing

yoj
1st December 2005, 09:43
I managed to not eat or drink for 8 hours today, and I didnt think too much neither, is this a record? Does snoring count as speaking?

Brian Owens
2nd December 2005, 05:48
I managed to not eat or drink for 8 hours today, and I didnt think too much neither, is this a record? Does snoring count as speaking?
Touché!

I wish I could get a good 8 hours on a regular basis. (A problem with working the late shift when no one else in my household does.)

ulvulv
2nd December 2005, 06:05
Anything under 5000 calories a day count as asceticism in USA, doesnt it? :p

yoj
2nd December 2005, 09:44
Brian I was being optimistic, my last seession of mediatation wasn't quite as long as I'd wanted, so I think I'll have soe Javanese Ginseng to improve my focus ;-)

Roar, thats bad, you're a bad man ;-) I guess there are less calories in fish thats been buried underground till it goes rotten :-)

ulvulv
2nd December 2005, 09:49
Roar, thats bad, you're a bad man ;-) I guess there are less calories in fish thats been buried underground till it goes rotten :-)

Yes, thats the main ingredience in our "seefood diet". Only see, not eat. ;)

yoj
2nd December 2005, 09:54
Hehe - good point ;-) I 'looked' at 'food' like that in Sweden, so did my Swedish friends ;-)

Garryn
8th December 2005, 19:55
I managed to not eat or drink for 8 hours today, is this a record?

one word, Ramadan :rolleyes:

JustCreepin'
9th December 2005, 15:32
one word, Ramadan :rolleyes:

Exactly! The muslims don't eat or drink anything (including water) from sunrise to sunset for the whole month. There are some exceptions (kids, elderly - if they choose, the sick, pregnant women, or women who are menstruating), but overall, its very hard to do for the whole month! The biggest badass that I know about is Hakeem Olaujawon (sp?) from the Houston Rockets - during Ramadan he would continue with full practices and playing games all while fasting during the day!

I agree with some of the others...proud about 4 hours? I easily go about 8-10, sometimes 12 hours a day without food/drink on a daily basis. Granted, I eat 1-2 BIG meals/day, but it would be healthier for me to eat smaller meals more frequently - I'm just too lazy to find the time to eat.

I don't believe in the concept of "light" meditation. That's like me saying I do "light" exercise daily when I choose to take the stairs instead of the elevator!

Garryn
9th December 2005, 19:44
Two words David Blaine

Maybe Yoj ought to lock himself in a suspended clear perspex box for a few weeks? ;)

yoj
9th December 2005, 19:56
Two words David Blaine

Maybe Yoj ought to lock himself in a suspended clear perspex box for a few weeks? ;)

Might help with the weight ;-)

Garryn
9th December 2005, 21:37
Might help with the weight ;-)

Hmm.. might join you on that point (my buddha figure isn't a statue but is visible in a mirror). Only problem is, didn't DB sustain liver or kidney damage through it? :rolleyes:

Mr.Franco
22nd December 2005, 01:09

No, but my parents are from Mexico! And we have an Ascetic Calender on our wall.

Orale!

Scott
22nd December 2005, 10:24
It is best to fast slowly!

.....or was that slow fastly??

yoj
22nd December 2005, 10:27
Hmm.. might join you on that point (my buddha figure isn't a statue but is visible in a mirror). Only problem is, didn't DB sustain liver or kidney damage through it? :rolleyes:

Probably, but then I sustain liver damage outside of the box, so go figure ;-)

JessePeel
3rd January 2006, 17:14