PDA

View Full Version : New Lowry Book: Not What You Think

Nathan Palmer
1st December 2005, 17:55
I was eating sushi the other night at a favorite place and I saw the chef had a book on sushi up on a shelf behind his counter. I asked him about it and he said: “Oh yeah. I’ve been reading this. I can’t believe it. This guy knows more about sushi than I do.”
I know this chef pretty well. He trained in Tokyo. He’s been in the sushi business for more than twenty years. So I asked to see the book and started looking through it. It’s an incredible book. Something like an encyclopedia of sushi. It’s got chapters on freaking everything related to sushi. A whole chapter on nori seaweed and a chapter on how wasabi is grown and how it gets made and why it’s hot. There are chapters on several dozen different sushi toppings. And all kinds of information on Japanese culture. There’s even a chapter on why plates in sushi places are like they are and why the sushi gets arranged on them the way it does.
Then I started reading it and I’m almost falling off my stool. It’s hilarious. The writer’s got this snide, dry sense of humor. It sounds like Dennis Miller writing about sushi. I’m wondering: who the hell is this guy? I look at the cover.
Written by Dave Lowry. Can’t be? It is. When I got home I looked it up on the internet and it’s the same guy. I’ve read his books and I always assumed he had spent every moment of his life doing budo. Apparently not.
It’s called The Connoisseur’s Guide to Sushi. The Border’s near me had it in stock and I have been reading it all week. It’s almost numbing it’s so detailed. But you keep going because it’s so damned funny as well. Anyway, if you’re into sushi, you have got to get this book.

yoj
1st December 2005, 18:12
This would rather explain his hit rate in the "what food is this" thread!

Ron Tisdale
1st December 2005, 18:26
Hey, even budo guys gotta eat! And when in Tokyo...

Best,
Ron (I haven't seen this one, will have to check it out)

morpheus
1st December 2005, 18:43
If I am not mistaken Mr. Lowry has in the past and may continue to perform as a professional food critic in the St. Louis area.
Jeff

Hissho
1st December 2005, 19:49
SWEET!

I've been waiting for this to come out.

sammycerv
2nd December 2005, 04:24
Now I know what to get my friends for the holidays.

Brian Owens
3rd December 2005, 07:17
Back in May, Dave gave us a warning that this book was coming.

He wrote:

Dear Mr. Anderson,
I detest self-promotion. However, I’ve written a book, a rather lengthy one, The Connoisseur’s Guide to Sushi, that will be published this October by Harvard Common Press, which answers all the questions you have asked, often in considerable, even tedious, detail.

Tedious detail; I like that.

The whole thread was intertesting if you're a sushi afficionado.

You can find it here: How to Eat Sushi (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30001)

Thanks for the review of the book. I'll have to see if I can find a copy this weekend.

kimiwane
8th December 2005, 19:30
Speaking of sushi, here's a clip my wife showed me. It's a Japanese-made spoof of sushi.

We should not forget that a lot of that mysterious Japanese air can be a front for things as silly as British humor.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6905089586228877019&q=sushi

Here's to Dave's new book.

May it sell by the millions.

Best wishes.