PDA

View Full Version : Shingitai jujitsu

Manual
8th December 2005, 23:02
Hi, I am currently a student of danzan ryu, but due to some issues at my dojo (like nobody, including professor, showing up to practice) I am in search of a new school. (Anyone know of a good jujitsu school near Mechanicsburg PA?)
I reciently found West Shore Jujitsu (http://www.westshorejujitsu.com) but have never heard of shingitai jujitsu. Any information/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Robc
9th December 2005, 20:34
Shingitai was developed by a successful judoka and wrestler named John Saylor. If the dojo you're referencing is actively affiliated with Saylor, I suspect you will find an athletic form of self defense with very strong grappling at its base. That could be a very enjoyable training environment if that's what you're looking for.

If you haven't already, look here http://johnsaylor-sja.com/

Ron Tisdale
9th December 2005, 21:03
This may not be quite what you're looking for, but if I was in your area I'd train at the Itten dojo and Bob Wolfe. The aikido program there is run under the tutelage of Ellis Amdur (Araki ryu), and they also have programs for koryu taught by Meik and Diane Skoss. Their web page is here: http://www.ittendojo.org/ Having trained there several times, I have no doubt that is where I'd train if I lived in the area.

Best,
Ron

Manual
9th December 2005, 21:24
I actually have already attended a practice at itten dojo reciently. While the instructors seem top notch, I get the feeling that practice may be a little softer than I am accustomed to. Aikido is definately something I will study, but more than likely down the road.

Thank you both for your information and replies.

Ron Tisdale
9th December 2005, 21:31
:) Ask John Buntz if you want to go a little harder...or Buddy Yuhazz...

Either one will give you a good time. And probably a run for your money as well... :D

Best,
Ron

John A Butz
9th December 2005, 22:36
Jason, I teach the Wednesday night classes at Itten, and during our open mats we work out fairly hard. For what it is worth, at the beginning, practice is going to be soft, but as you get more comfortable with us and we with you, things can get more interesting.

We have even been known to occasionaly engage in some grappling and ground-work during open mats.

Hope to see you in class soon.

Ron, how's it going? We going to be seeing you any time soon? Hope you are well. Have a safe holiday season!

Budd
9th December 2005, 23:05
Hi Jason,

I was the stocky guy that Mr. Wolfe was throwing up and down the mat a good portion of class. Good luck in your search to find a place to train.

Ron,

I echo John's sentiments for 1) Seeing you soon at Itten & 2) Hoping you have an excellent and safe holiday season.

Best/Budd

Manual
10th December 2005, 01:39
Ron, I'm sure either of them would. Let me clarify by telling you that I did not participate in practice, only observed, and that I have only been studying martial arts for a few months.

John, Hi, I don't believe we have met. After my first taste of aikido I told Mr. Wolf that I would be returning to take in another class, and more than likely that will be this Wednesday. I was actually under the impression that ground work was not a part of aikido, and I am excited to learn that I was incorrect. I look forward to speaking with you.

Budd, I believe we may have spoken breifly as you left, but I don't remember any actual throws during that class.

Thank you all for your replies.
My name is actually Gary, but I am using my brother's computer. As soon as I figure how to correct the name I will.

John A Butz
10th December 2005, 02:23
Gary, just to be clear, the ground-work is not a part of our curiculum, but is rather a supplemental training that Budd, myself, and a few others engage in on occasion.

We have not yet met, since I was unable to attend class this week, but I look forward to meeting and training with you on Wednesday.

Toby
10th December 2005, 13:53
Hi, I am currently a student of danzan ryu, but due to some issues at my dojo (like nobody, including professor, showing up to practice) I am in search of a new school. (Anyone know of a good jujitsu school near Mechanicsburg PA?)
I reciently found West Shore Jujitsu (http://www.westshorejujitsu.com) but have never heard of shingitai jujitsu. Any information/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Have you checked out Tom Joerg's gym?

Who is your Danzan ryu professor?

Manual
10th December 2005, 14:44
No, I have not.
Professor Kiehl

Toby
10th December 2005, 19:15
check out http://www.joergskarate.com

Robert Wolfe
10th December 2005, 19:23
Jason,

Thanks for stopping by the other night.

I don't know anything about the West Shore group, but there is a judo group in Carlisle doing judo with an older, non-sport approach that may be much closer to what you're looking for.

I'm making an assumption here, that by "too soft" you're referring to the absence of throws like seoinage or taiotoshi that end with a pretty good slam to the mat. Our curriculum has a few techniques that involve a big breakfall from altitude, but in most other cases the techniques aren't really throws at all: they're techniques applied to the joints and the ukemi is a counter rather than a consequence.

To be sure, we don't do much "ground work" in our aikido. One of my favorite "Amdur-isms" from my teacher is, "If sh*t were phosphorus, the third world would glow." Amdur sensei goes on to say that Japan a couple hundred years ago was similar, in that there was a lot of "stuff" in the streets you just didn't want to roll around in. Consequently, ground work is a relatively recent development (albeit certainly of value in the modern world, so we do some).

If you want, feel free to bring your keikogi and work out with John and Budd on Wednesday, rather than just watch. You can also get the contact information for the old-style judo group in Carlisle if you check the "For the Participant" page of the sports section in the Sunday Patriot-News.

-- Bob Wolfe

Manual
11th December 2005, 18:31
Actually, I had already planned on attending Mr. Burgett's judo class this thursday. It's funny that you mentioned that.
Your assumtions were pretty much on the money.
Thank you all for your help.
John, and Budd,
see you on wednesday./

Budd
12th December 2005, 01:32
Great, Gary. We'll see you Wednesday.

Ron Tisdale
12th December 2005, 14:03
Hi all,

Glad to see everyone here, and I wish you all the very best for your holidays (even if I spelled your name wrong!). I hope to get up that way again sometime after the new year, but I'll be thinking of you all until then! Manual, hope you enjoy your trial class.

Best,
Ron

tddeangelo
15th December 2005, 20:07
Manual,

You mentioned that you studied Danzan Ryu. There are two Danzan Ryu Jujutsu dojo in the (sort of) general area...

My sensei, Benjamin Delich, runs a dojo in Silver Spring, PA (north of Lancaster). I also operate a Danzan Ryu dojo in the Reading, PA area.

While both would be some driving for you, you are familiar with Danzan Ryu, which we both teach and practice (AJJF affiliation).

Sensei Dwight Needham, who also formerly studied with Doug Kiehl I believe, is in the Gettysburg area and has been training with us as well.

Sensei Delich and myself both train extensively with Sensei Tom Hill of Stroudsburg, PA, who is a rokudan in the AJJF. Sensei Delich holds sandan, and I hold nidan.

You would be welcome at any classes of ours. Please feel free to PM or email me for further info if you're interested.

Ron Tisdale
16th December 2005, 18:03
So, Manual, how was the class? Was it hard enough?

Best,
Ron

Manual
16th December 2005, 23:33
tddeangelo,
Thank you very much for the offer, but that is too far for me to travel a few times a week.

Ron,
It was great fun! Budd and John helped show some of the principles of Aikido and we did some thai style kicks and even rolled a little. I believe I will be visiting the dojo again.

Ron Tisdale
19th December 2005, 14:05
Wish I could have been there! Enjoy the holidays...

Best,
Ron