PDA

View Full Version : MEANING OF SOME TERMS IN JUDO

Yamantaka
30th November 2000, 16:27
Hello!

What is the meaning, in Judo, of the terms :
Kotai, Jutai and Ekitai. Can anyone help me with that?
Best
Yamantaka

MarkF
1st December 2000, 07:47
Hi, Ubaldo,
I can give educated guesses on a couple of them.

Tai, in this sense would probably mean posture, or ready posture, thuse ko-tai meaning inner "readiness" or Internal posture.

Ju-tai probably means a state of readiness, or undetermined posture, as in flexible posture.

Eki-tai, I just haven't a clue. The first two are familiar, but ekitai I couldn't give a guess, to be honest.

Anyone out there with a much better mental glossary, or a link to one which includes these terms?

Mark

[Edited by MarkF on 12-01-2000 at 03:02 AM]

Ryu
3rd December 2000, 07:41
Found this info :)
(yeah...I'm a nerd so what? LOL)

Ko-tai: Ko-tai means solid body and is the base of all practice. In Ko-tai, uke takes a firm grip and is not easily moved, thus tori has the opportunity to study and comprehend the techniques. Ko-tai is the anvil on which the base of Aikido is forged.

Ju-tai: Ju-tai means fluid body. Ju-tai is a more advanced level of practice and is not truly possible without the deeper understanding gained by Ko-tai practice. In Ju-tai practice, tori moves as uke makes contact, starting to flow with his/her movement. Always though, we must be on our guard lest our Ju-tai practice turn a martial art into simple dancing or gymnastics.

Eki-tai: Eki-tai means gaseous body. In this level of practice Aikido becomes one with breathing. It is not that you breathe as you move but that it is the breath itself that controls the movement. Tori harmonises his/her breathing with that of uke to control uke's breath and thereby his/her movement. Eki-tai is an advanced level of practice.

MarkF
3rd December 2000, 10:36
Well, I knew there would be tons of people who know those terms, but only a few who would stop and give them, especially since you posted the same question in the Aikido forum:D

Mark

Yamantaka
3rd December 2000, 13:28
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkF
[B]Well, I knew there would be tons of people who know those terms, but only a few who would stop and give them, especially since you posted the same question in the Aikido forum:D
Mark

YAMANTAKA : And for a simple reason : these terms have been used in Judo AND aikido and I was researching if there were different meanings. I would love to get more answers!
Best regards and good keiko

MarkF
4th December 2000, 06:07
Hi, Ublado,
"Tai," when used or applied to judo does mean posture or ready posture, so my guesses were based on that. It may be "body" literally, but when disussing this with other judoka, there is a difference, if only slightly.

As in tai, the terms may indeed have different meanings, and those whom I know who teach judo and aikido, use some terms interchangably.

Language is a funny thing. It can open doors into whole, new worlds. While Pacific/Asian languages make it even more so, even more easily learned languages, aren't so easy, and for many of the same reasons; one which is hinted at here.

"Tai" is also primarily a posture of the ko shiki no kata.

Mark