PDA

View Full Version : The Bartitsu Compendium

Tony Wolf
16th December 2005, 22:42
I'm paranoid about breaking forum rules re. "blatant commerical advertising", but as the money raised through sales of this book is going towards a martial arts related charitable project, I hope that the moderators will indulge me.

The Bartitsu Compendium (Lulu Press, 280 pages) is the ultimate guide to everything you never knew you wanted to know about Bartitsu, which was perhaps the first eclectic self defence system to deliberately combine Asian and European martial arts. The method was founded in the late 1890s by an Englishman, E.W. Barton-Wright, who had studied the Tenshin-Shinyo Ryu, Shinden-Fudo Ryu, and Kano styles of jiujitsu while travelling in Japan.

Upon his return to England, Barton-Wright established his "Bartitsu Academy of Self Defence and Physical Culture" with the assistance of instructors from around the world including jiujitsuka Yukio Tani and Sadakazu Uyenishi, Swiss wrestler Armand Cherpillod, and savate/la canne master Pierre Vigny. With the intention of promoting Bartitsu as a gentlemanly art of self defence combining boxing, wrestling, jiujitsu, savate and French stick fighting, Barton-Wright also established himself as an early promoter of mixed-styles competitions, pitting his international champions against all comers.

Unfortunately, the fame and success of men like Tani and Vigny almost completely stole Barton-Wright's thunder, and after a brief but colourful heyday during the early years of the 1900s, Bartitsu was almost forgotten. It did have the distinction of being immortalised in the Sherlock Holmes mystery stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who wrote that Holmes had defeated his nemesis Professor Moriarty through his mastery of "baritsu".

E.W. Barton-Wright died in 1951 at the age of ninety, without ever having received the accolades due to him as the pioneering instructor of the Asian martial arts in the English speaking world.

The Bartitsu Compendium is the product of four years of research by members of the Bartitsu Society, a non-profit association of enthusiasts dedicated to studying and reviving this unique Victorian-era martial art. The book is a 280 page anthology of articles and essays on Bartitsu history and technique, with extensive biographical chapters on Barton-Wright, Cherpillod, Tani, Vigny and other luminaries of the martial arts in early 1900s London. It features contributions by modern writers including Graham Noble and historian Emelyne Godfrey as well as rare reprinted articles and never-before-seen translations, illustrated with hundreds of photographs and sketches.

All profits from the sales of the Compendium are dedicated towards creating a suitable memorial for E.W. Barton-Wright, adjacent to the original site of his "Bartitsu Academy" in London's Soho district.

If you would like to assist in this project, and to learn more about the mysteries of Bartitsu, the book is available for purchase online at http://www.lulu.com/content/138834 .

Tony Wolf

gabro
19th December 2005, 08:24
Can I just butt in here and say that this compendium is great. In fact it is so great that I have only managed to read half of it, as my girlfriend forced it from my hands, using a gentlemanly hold (;)), and took it from me to read it herself. The editing is very nice and tight and the whole thing flows nicely. The amount of information is not overwhelming, but is thorough. It does leave me with a wish to know even more about the man Barton-Wright, though. Any chance of a biography ?
Looking forward to Vol 2, which I believe will cover non-canonical techniques?

Great work, Tony. I will put up a review on Lulu as soon as I can get the thing back.

Cheers,

Mads

Tony Wolf
19th December 2005, 10:22
Well, thank you very much for such a nice endorsement! I've been very pleased with the response to the Compendium.

I would like to write a formal biography for Barton-Wright, but almost literally every scrap of information we have about him at this stage is in the Compendium itself. I'd love to know more about his early life and self defence training, which seems to have been quite colourful; apart from his jiujitsu experiences he wrote of having learned stiletto duelling and claimed to have defeated Portuguese fighters armed with quarterstaves, amongst other things. Likewise, almost the entire latter twenty years of his life is a historical mystery.

The second volume is planned as more of an instructional manual of "Neo-Bartitsu" techniques, and will probably draw from the huge corpus of jiujitsu, street savate, boxing and stick fighting material produced by Barton-Wright's assistant instructors and their students in the years following the closure of the Bartitsu Academy.

I look forward to reading your review at Lulu.com, and best of luck getting your copy back from your girlfriend ...

JustCreepin'
24th December 2005, 04:40
Isn't this featured in the current Journal of the Asian Martial Arts (or is it the Journal of the Martial Arts - I forget)?

Pretty neat.

Tony Wolf
24th December 2005, 11:33
I'm looking forward to seeing the JAMA article. From what I've heard, it features a very thorough study of walking-stick fighting, including reference to the Bartitsu style developed by Pierre Vigny.

Tony Wolf

gabro
5th February 2006, 19:54
Tony, I finally got my copy back, and have put a review on lulu.com.

"The Bartitsu Compendium; Vol 1, gives a very interesting insight into the early days of jujutsu in the UK, and in particular of Bartitsu, the creation of Mr. Barton-Wright. The book contains a lot of information, much of it in the form of reprints of articles from newspapers and magazines from the period. The book also contains techniques presented by Mr. Barton-Wright himself from old articles, and allows the reader to become acquainted with Bartitsu itself. For me, though, it is the work that has been put into the historical side of if, that makes this book stand out, with a very useful bibliography attached at the end. It truly belongs in the shelves of everyone with an interest in martial arts history."

Cheers,

Mads