PDA

View Full Version : sai

Andrew Prochnow
30th November 2000, 19:34
does any one know where i can get 22 inch sai's any help would be appreciated

Andrew Siscoe

Ken Allgeier
30th November 2000, 20:35
If you want a pair of custom made,traditional sai go to.

http://www.okiadventures.com

ken allgeier

Doug Daulton
1st December 2000, 06:21
Andrew:

IMO, the best sai for Ryukyu Kobudo come from Shureido. In the U.S. you can get them from Ryukyu Enterprises - Shureido U.S.A. out of Orange, CA. They are not on the web ... and I do not have their contact information handy at the moment (I am travelling). If you check back early next week, I'll post Shureido's info here.

Also, are you sure you need 22 inch sai? If the sai are too small (or too large) they will difficult to manipulate effectively. The way to measure yourself for sai is to measure the length of your forearm from elbow to the tip of your extended index finger ... then add about an inch. You want the end of the sai to extend about an inch past the point of your elbow.

Whatever you do, don't buy your sai from Century, AWMA or any other major vendor ... the balance is atrocious and the tines are all wrong.

I hope this helps.

Doug Daulton
11th December 2000, 23:33
Originally posted by Doug Daulton
IMO, the best sai for Ryukyu Kobudo come from Shureido. In the U.S. you can get them from Ryukyu Enterprises - Shureido U.S.A. out of Orange, CA. They are not on the web ... and I do not have their contact information handy at the moment (I am traveling). If you check back early next week, I'll post Shureido's info here.

Andrew:

As promised, here is the contact information for Shureido USA. Sorry for the delay.

Shureido USA
Ryukyu Enterprises Inc.
438 West Taft Avenue
Orange, CA 92665

O: 714.921.0946
F: 714.921.4732

Nobody
9th April 2008, 21:47
does any one know where i can get 22 inch sai's any help would be appreciated

Andrew Siscoe

Doug is right about checking the measurements for your sai. The first pair of sai I ever owned I got from Dolan's Sports back in the early 1980's, and they were 21 1/2 inches long. Being very young back then I just sucked it up and used them, and never saw a problem, but the handle of the sai were at least 3/4 inchh past my index finger. When I began training in kobudo again I found these too heavy to handle properly, so I bought a pair from Okinawan Adventures which in total are no more than 21 long in but are sized for me and perform far better than than anything else I have ever handled. I have handled a pair of Shureido sai on one occasion but found them too light for me to handle properly.